Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Used cars are a crapshoot no matter what brand you end up with. you might check and see if there are any estate sales in your area that have a vehicle for sale. You might be able to pick one up that is older with low miles.

2. Member
    Honda only if manual, Toyota manual or auto.

3. Member
    Honda civic would be my choice. I traded in a 2012 Honda civic with 285k miles and only ever needed regular maintenance/oil changes. The most dependable car anyone in our family has ever owned
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Get her a used Honda.
    This would be my advice. We purchased a Honda civic one owner with right at 100,000 miles and it was a Great vehicle. He had it through college.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

5. Member
    Honda or Toyota, trust me

Used Subaru
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Get her a used Honda.
    Or a used Toyota…..problem solved.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Used Subaru
    I have been looking at subaru's. Are there any models to stay away from?

We got our kiddo a subaru outback. It seems to be a solid car. My next choice would be a honda crv. I drive a 03 crv b and f to work and love it. I think one would be a good car for a 16 yo.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    Honda or Toyota, trust me
    Can't go wrong with a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic, just have a mechanic check it out first.

Be careful with Toyota camry’s/corolla’s beginning at about 2005 and newer. If oil was not changed on time religiously “ every 3000 miles “ they could be bad oil burners. Some eat a quart of oil per tank of gas. Be careful shopping the used market. My 2000 Camry has 380k still runs great and not using oil like these modern cars do.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

12. Member
    I would bite the bullet and step up in price range. I would want something very reliable for my young daughter to be driving.

and the car price is not the issue, its the insurance note!

13. Member
    I've got a 16 year old daughter too, I'm looking for a 1-ton truck with a 4-cylinder engine.

14. Member
    Used cars are such a crapshoot. When my oldest started driving we bought her a high mile 2003 Honda Civic, it was a great little car, but she totaled it in under a year. Her next car was a high mile 4 cylinder 2010 Ford Fusion, it cost us $2,500 in repairs in the first year. A year ago we bought my youngest daughter a high mile 2011 Ford Escape fwd 3.0 v6, aside from some maintenance items that needed to be done it's been a pretty solid little vehicle, also the parts are plentiful and cheap and it's easy to work on.
    2022 Lund Tyee 1875, Merc 200

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS456 View Post
    I've got a 16 year old daughter too, I'm looking for a 1-ton truck with a 4-cylinder engine.
    love it!

In regards to size, I think it matters what roads the young ones drive. My daily driver was an 09 Corolla for some years and my three childeren have all driven it. My youngest still does but is mostly 45mph and less roads. My older people I've bought Lexus RX350 and had my eldest in my 11 Durango to give them both size and power on interstates.

The lexus RX350 can be great for a young person & Dad if you can find one in good shape. Most lexus owner over service and under drive them.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

16. Member
    How about something like this for a 16yr old girl? https://www.smokymountaintraders.com...8-ford-mustang

When checking out Toyota don't forget Scion (Toyota).

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub_176 View Post
    I have been looking at subaru's. Are there any models to stay away from?
    There is a series of motors that have head gasket issues, Subaru was well aware of and required there proprietary coolant conditioner in coolant.......ie Stop leak. Look up subaru coolant conditioner. Also, have fun changing spark plugs......I own an outback...its been good, but do your homework.

Also note Rear wheel bearings known issue, mine at 70k.

19. Member
    The wife and I bought a new 2016 Accord and used it as an extra vehicle until our daughter started driving in late 2018. I bought another 2017 Accord from a friend in 2019 and recently gave it to my son. So far no issues other than normal maintenance and a deer crash with both cars months apart. Both have 80k miles and are great for fuel economy.

20. Member
    Don’t forget to check out the safety ratings before making a decision. Precious cargo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast