'02 Yamaha 200 hpdi tilt/trim motor repair/replacement

My problem is the trim motor not going up. While driving, I can keep hitting the switch and it will eventually trim up, but not every time; however, when I put the boat on the trailer, it will NOT trim up immediately. The last two trips, I have had to wait about 30 minutes before the trim motor would work in the up position. It will trim down everytime, but when trying to trim it up, the relay is clicking and the motor is not even attempting to run. With this being said, I know I need to replace OR rebuild the trim motor. So, my questions are 1.) has anyone ever effectively rebuilt a trim motor? 2.) if this is not an option, what is the proper replacement motor? I have found several that range from $60 to $600. I assume that the cheaper motors are after-market motors. Does anyone have experience with these? I would rather not drop another $600 in it if a $60 part will work, but I would not want to do any further damage.
    I am just researching now to see if anyone else has had this issue and how you corrected it. TIA

2. Member
    Although the up relay is clicking, it's worth a try to swap the up and down relays just to be sure it's not a "weak" one....
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

3. Member
    I actually tried jumping the relay and it still didn't work.

4. Member
    Disconnect the wires from the pump motor to the relay, at the relay. Connect those wires to a known good battery. Blue to positive the motor should go up. Green to positive the motor should go down. This will confirm that it is indeed the pump motor that is defective.

5. Member
    Www.Dbelectrical.com if a new pump motor is needed. Cheaper than rebuilding a pump motor.

6. Member
    It's the trim motor. Mine did the exact same thing. Replaced the one on my ox66 last year with one on Amazon. Failed after 2 weeks, returned and installed another. Been fine ever since. DB electric posted above makes good stuff.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

7. Member
    D& B Electric ben there done that ^^^^^^

8. Member
    replaced the pump motor and it did not correct the issue. Now i get to play the game of find the bad switch..... i have 4 of them. My plan is to start removing the power wires to one switch and try to move the engine up and down repeatedly. Hopefully, I will disconnect one of them and find that the unit doesn't fail, which would suggest the switch not connected is the cuplrit. For future viewers, play this game prior to purchasing and replacing the electric motor, also, when you remove the relay from the equation, make sure and attemp the up/down several times to ensure it works. Once or twice will not be sufficient. Wanna know how I know?

9. Member
    Sounds like trim relay to me. The click in the relay indicates that it's getting power from the switch. That doesn't mean power is going through the contacts to run the motor. Swap the blue and green wires on the relay and see if it trims up then.