Grease Guns for Multiple Applications?

I have average experience with grease guns. I don’t live on a farm so no tractors. I grease for maintenance purposes, which is not much more than 1-2X per year for the below vehicles/toys.

I have and use the inexpensive off the shelf grease guns and they have troubles with leaking, air pockets, etc. I purchased these because they are readily available, and for the most part, get the job done…albeit with much frustration and usually a mess!

I grease my vehicles front ends, my travel trailer wheel bearings (mainly repacking), my boat trailer wheel bearings (mainly repacking) and my outboard steering tube, swivel bracket, etc.

The above all use a different grease cartridge:

New Truck: Mobil 1 (14oz)
    Trailer: Red N Tacky (14oz and 16oz tubs)
    Boat Trailer: Lucas Marine (14oz.)
    Mercury Outboard: 2-4-C (3 oz. tubes

With that said, it appears I need at least 4 different grease guns to avoid the mess and waster of changing grease guns for each grease application. I currently have one or two guns (as I have not needed a gun for trailers (because I do a complete repack), however a gun would be handy for in-between repacks on both trailer and boat trailers. Plus I would like to take a grease gun with me on longer trips when I take the boat or trailer.

For those of you that have trucks/vehicles, boat trailer, travel trailer/5th wheels, etc.,
    What are you doing for grease guns?

One for each application?

Better quality grease guns (McNaught, Lock-n-Lube, Alemite, etc) or the inexpensive off the shelf type?

Thanks!

'23 Tracker Pro Guide V16SC; Mercury 60hp 4 Stroke; Lowrance HDS Live 9; Late '23 Terrova 24/80/60

2. Member
    Personally i would just use the lucas red and tacky for all of those applications, it’s a fine grease for all of those jobs.

3. Member
    I use Lucas Marine Blue for everything!

4. Scraps
    I installed the Dexter wet bolt kit in my trailer last year. At first I used my cute li'l mini grease gun. This gun didn't have the balls to push the grease into the bolts. I upgraded to a full size handle pump with a Lock-n-Lube coupler and the aggravation between the two was night and day. No issue at all pumping the grease into the bolts even with the trailer loaded and the bolts not oriented correctly.

I'd also consolidate down to one grease. Switching around is messy.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I installed the Dexter wet bolt kit in my trailer last year. At first I used my cute li'l mini grease gun. This gun didn't have the balls to push the grease into the bolts. I upgraded to a full size handle pump with a Lock-n-Lube coupler and the aggravation between the two was night and day. No issue at all pumping the grease into the bolts even with the trailer loaded and the bolts not oriented correctly.

I'd also consolidate down to one grease. Switching around is messy.
    You're referring to your boat trailer, correct (Dexter wet bolt kit)?
    '23 Tracker Pro Guide V16SC; Mercury 60hp 4 Stroke; Lowrance HDS Live 9; Late '23 Terrova 24/80/60

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I use Lucas Marine Blue for everything!

Must be great stuff! Dexter axle warranty will be voided if Lucas Marine grease is not used.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    Personally i would just use the lucas red and tacky for all of those applications, it’s a fine grease for all of those jobs.
    My new Merc recommends the Mercury 2-4-C marine grease for steering, swivel bracket, etc. Don't want to void any warranty.
    Trailer also under warranty Dexter axle warranty will be voided if Lucas Marine grease is not used.

8. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
    You're referring to your boat trailer, correct (Dexter wet bolt kit)?
    Correct.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

9. Member

Exactly!!!! Been using it by the cases for years in one grease gun, and will continue. Dont overthink it.

10. Member
    Interesting which Lucas grease has the word "marine" in the tech sheet.

https://www.lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_Red-Tacky-Grease.pdf

https://www.lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_Marine_Grease.pdf

11. Member
    My new Merc recommends the Mercury 2-4-C marine grease for steering, swivel bracket, etc. Don't want to void any warranty.
    Trailer also under warranty Dexter axle warranty will be voided if Lucas Marine grease is not used.
    They cannot void your warranty for that. The Magnuson-Moss act says they cannot. As long you do the maintenence and said grease in this case meets specification they simply cannot void your warranty on the basis a specific product was not used. It’s the same reason a car manufacturer cannot specify that oil changes must use their products, only a spec like a specific API cert and weight, etc.

That said those are both items you will probably never need to warranty, ever. My last merc which i owned for almost 15 years never had any of the steering or tilt bracket components replaced using nothing but red n tacky. Used in the trailer from day 1 too, never had any issues with the hubs. No reason to overthink any of this.

12. Member
    I have 3 grease guns. One with Red and Tacky for u-joints and general purpose, Valvoline Moly Fortified synthetic for slider yokes, and Lucas Marine Blue for the boat.

13. Member
    Marine trailer wheel bearing grease has the hardest job, that's why for my boat trailer bearings I use Lubrimatic Corrosion Control Marine trailer wheel bearing grease (calcium sulfonate based) and instead of using the Mercury 2-4-C grease, I use the Lubrimatic as well , its better than the Lithium based 2-4-C. Lucas Marine grease is calcium solfonate based as well .

14. Member
    I keep two. One with the Vault grease and one with red grease.

15. Member
    How about grease guns...Better quality grease guns (McNaught, Lock-n-Lube, Alemite, etc) or the inexpensive off the shelf type?

Lock-n-lube and dewalt battery grease gun and you're good to go.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

17. Member
    Currently have a Lincoln 1134 with Yamalube Marine and a Lubrimatic 30-800 Mini with 2-4-C.

In my experience Lucac Marine will bleed blue fluid (oil) all over. It's a mess to deal with. Recommend a dedicated gun with a drip tray.

18. Member
    How about grease guns...Better quality grease guns (McNaught, Lock-n-Lube, Alemite, etc) or the inexpensive off the shelf type?
    A grease gun is a grease gun,,, They all work the same, all will have a bubble.. They all are just like a Hogs nose and a Puzzy,, You can't wear one out. Never to be seen in a junk yard.

19. Member
    I wore the puzzy out of my 2nd girlfriend.
    2021 Gator Trax 21' Strike Series
    Mercury 250 ProXS #3B134663

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluzharp View Post
    I wore the puzzy out of my 2nd girlfriend.
    You just thought you did. lol