Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fuel injectors/plugs

2014 Mercury 115 hp optimax
    Serial# 2B018514
    Model# 1115p73ky

hey guys I’m doing my 100hr service on my engine even though I only have 88hr on it but I am replacing the fuel injectors and I was wondering is there anything special I need to do or is it a pull old out and replace new ones?

#2.i am having a problem finding plugs for this the number is 1zfr5j.does any of you merc dealers/mechanics have them in stock or is there a different plug to run in this please let me know.

3.i am also looking for a belt to replace #8m0012623.

if anyone can let me know in the next day or so so I can get this stuff ordered thanks

2. Member
    Any Mercury dealer should have them in stock or can order them for you, same for the belt.

WHY are you replacing fuel injectors? They are not an annual service item and should not need to be replaced. If you feel they need to be cleaned or calibrated contact Integrity Injection - http://www.integrityinjection.net/injectorservice.html
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    ^^^^^^^ +1,,,,, EUROPEAN MARINE contact them for correct parts
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Buy parts at Mercury Part dealers (BBC sponsers), have to pay more but at least you don't have to deal with counterfeit parts frorm Amazon.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1pabassman View Post
    Then I should turn Amazon in because the injectors came from 2mercury dealers that sell on that site,and would love to support the people here but I can’t pay 100 per injector
    Ken: I've had to re-write this post 3 times now because I'm struggling to respond to it in any type of remotely kind manner. That's not normal for me.

You can't buy ANY injector on your engine (OEM) for $100. You have six of them (3 fuel, 3 Direct). The cheapest one is $300 EACH. And the most expensive is nearly $800 (each).

Do you really think a $29 knock-off part from Amazingzon is gonna work right in place of those? As you're aware, we do NOT support 'zon in the Forums, nor do we support any item that comes FROM 'zon here. If you're buying your parts there (no matter what seller it is), they should provide you with the support for those parts.

Just like you go to the auto parts store to buy parts for your car... a good starting point to buy parts for your boat is the boat dealer/store. I can't speak for all of them- but I know that Rhonda keeps every single part you talked about needing, in stock, and probably a lot more too. AND she's a paying sponsor here on BBC.

Fuel injectors are the least likely item for you to need to replace... don't start into the fuel system unless you're prepared to do the entire system (rails, injectors AND direct injectors).

Hope this helps... we're here to help but buy your parts from a bonifide authorized dealer with OEM parts, please.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 02-29-2024 at 11:06 AM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Well number one,I was not aware of the on deal and won’t ever post again,these parts are exact parts and numbers I got from Mercury parts website exact and they were purchased from a real Mercury dealer that happened to sell on that site so it’s not that I went to an off brand place to buy them,they are genuine Mercury own parts,so with that said your telling me they are junk? .and I have posted here about the issues I have and this is the response I got was the injectors need cleaned or replaced? So are you saying this was the wrong information? ,now that I have your attention maybe you can guide me I have a merc 115 optimax on a pr 190 tracker,at the end of last year I had an issue when starting to get on plane the motor would hesitate or “ stumble until I put the throttle to her then it would clear up and run fine but it does this everytime I try to get on plane? I have,change gas,new filters primer bulb and fuel line ,still the same thing,your thoughts please and also what would it cost to send the injector to you to have cleaned and checked if you feel these own parts are fake injectors? Please advize

7. Member
    Not a mechanic but my 75 Optimax would run a little rough or stumble until I changed the spark plugs (2-3 seasons), then it would run fine, have you replaced the plugs recently ?

You mentioned 100 hr service! How many hours are actually on this motor?
    Before anything is replaced:
    Battery test
    Fuel & air pressure test
    Compression test, inspect plugs
    Scan computer fault history

Then the right path for further testing and repairs can be established.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    One side note..
    Being a member here for some time, I read Don's responses / answers to all of our questions about all types of Mercury engines.
    The man will reply to help us out at all times of the week and often during his work hours during the day.
    This is one sponsor we never want to lose on this site. Be kind to Don!!
    I try to keep my outboard running the best I can with his maintenance recommendations and knowledge.
    Thank you

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1pabassman
    Well number one,I was not aware of the on deal and won’t ever post again,these parts are exact parts and numbers I got from Mercury parts website exact and they were purchased from a real Mercury dealer that happened to sell on that site so it’s not that I went to an off brand place to buy them,they are genuine Mercury own parts,so with that said your telling me they are junk? .and I have posted here about the issues I have and this is the response I got was the injectors need cleaned or replaced? So are you saying this was the wrong information? ,now that I have your attention maybe you can guide me I have a merc 115 optimax on a pr 190 tracker,at the end of last year I had an issue when starting to get on plane the motor would hesitate or “ stumble until I put the throttle to her then it would clear up and run fine but it does this everytime I try to get on plane? I have,change gas,new filters primer bulb and fuel line ,still the same thing,your thoughts please and also what would it cost to send the injector to you to have cleaned and checked if you feel these own parts are fake injectors? Please advize
    Unscrupulous sellers will often list an OEM number in their description to lead you to believe it's the OEM part. I can assure you that Mercury doesn't make them for $29 for one dealer and charge all the others hundreds of dollars. They would be out of business about 80 years ago.

That being said, yes, if they were anywhere close to "twenty something dollars" they are NOT OEM parts and they are most likely garbage. I've got two boxes of those here that I tested personally and they "look" just like the OEM, the sellers even use the OEM number in their description. But they don't flow anywhere remotely close to them (enough so that it would wipe out a powerhead).

Who said your injectors needed "replaced" here? I've taken the time to read back through your posts as far back as 2022, and see you were told exactly the opposite of that. Especially before you replaced your spark plugs... and other maintenance items (discussed as far back as May 2023).

We will be glad to help you out here... but please check the attitude at the door. And definitely shoot straight with us.

When did you replace your spark plugs, and what spark plug (and gap) did you use?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    This was last year I don’t see the post but I know someone said that,anyway I am shooting straight I have no reason to play games when it comes to my boat which I take serious,I have sent those parts back after your answer because I have always trusted what you advise you helped me big time a couple years back, as for attitude I really don’t think I had an attitude that’s just me I guess,so the plugs I put in last year I didn’t gap them as I was told by my local marina they are pre gaped? Please advise differently,I have another set (own ) ngk plugs that were originally in the motor,ngk1zfr5j is what were in the motor, what else should I be looking at because it is quite annoying having the motor stumble (hesitate) at low rpm’s especially when trying to graph an area,thank you and let’s start over?

12. Member
    I did early last season but come to find out they were from a marina but were not the own number that was in from new I do have a set on the way though

13. Member
    I agree I wasn’t trying to be rude to him he has helped me in the past I guess it was the way I worded my post but I do apologize ,just very frustrating when you can’t figure something out and cannot trust the one marina near me

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    When the IZFR5J plugs come in, gap them correctly. Don't let anyone tell you they're "pre-gapped" because quite frankly, I've probably seen less than a couple dozen over the years that were actually gapped correctly in the box. That's .... ehemmnnn.... well let's just say pretty low odds that they are right.

That engine is sickly with even one plug that's not doing it's job.

15. Member
    Ok thanks don ,I have one final question,I have changed water pumps on a lot of eco mercs but never on the proxs,everything I’m reading says to put my shift lever in foward before I drop the lower unit? I have always left in nuetral what say you sir? Thank you

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I prefer Neutral. Either will work, provided that BOTH control and gearcase are in same position when reinstalling gearcase.

17. Member
    Step by step 1.5L Optimax water pump service complete with pics - 1.5L (75-125hp 3 cyl) Optimax Water Pump Replacement
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

18. Member
    Thanks very much guys it looks the same as all the 2 strokes I’ve done,once I complete my maintenance and run the boat I wil repost with any problems if the motor is still stumbling at low rpm,so my maintenance will include,new plugs (gapped to spec) ne alt belt,new waterpump kit complete including base and seals(I believe in doing the whole thing not just impeller) new filters,new fuel lines on motor haven’t been changed since new I’m guessing,new primer bulb an under deck fuel lines lower unit oil,hopefully this solves the issue thanks again to all that responded and corrected my statements and stopped me from making a huge mistake with the injectors

19. Member
    I have 88 hours on the motor but figured since I’m doing my spring maintenance may as well do the 100 hour checklist now

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Once per YEAR (364.99 days), or every 100 hours of operation, whichever occurs first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast