Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Measuring setback properly

85 checkmate starflite
    restored/ no bow foam1250 dry
    Repowering to a 250 xs TM2

Trying to determine setback.

when determining setback do i measure from the drain plug end of hull to LU nose?

i see alot of discussion regarding the TM2 lower not performing as per incorrect setup and in meed of 16-24” min setback

Looking at pictures. One pic is from the drain plug which is 6” set forward/towards bow from the transom. Second pic is showing the setback from transom to drain plug end of V in hull
    So from drain plug to jackplate i have 16”

Currently turning a 21 TRO4 on my 200 xri to 64mph at 6100 is perfect conditions. runs 60 turning 58-5900

IMG_1049.jpeg

IMG_1051.jpeg
    Last edited by Check85; 02-26-2024 at 08:35 AM.

I've always considered setback to be measured from the back of the transom to the front of the transom brackets (or more simply, from the front of the jackplate to the back of the jackplate).
    Last edited by Bryanmc57; 02-26-2024 at 09:05 AM.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

So what your saying is measure the jack plate mounting surface to the engine surface. That would be typical in the sense of when your ordering a jack plate

From what i gather the TM 2 lower needs 16” plus and the measurement is from the pad/end of V in the hull to the front of the Lower unit tip

I feel i will be ok but just wanted to confirm measuring setback correctly

4. Member
    From the FAQ at the top of the forum page........Click on this >>>>> Gen-2 Torquemaster GENERAL setup guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    From the FAQ at the top of the forum page........Click on this >>>>> Gen-2 Torquemaster GENERAL setup guidelines
    savage. Great to see you poke in on this. I did read that FAQ

im still a little unsure. When referring to a “light hull” would a starflite fall into that category? Dry weight is around 1200-1300. Judging on these bass boats that run Gen2 lowers, and weighing double that i sense im good?

would like to hear from maybe someone with first hand experience regarding the hull

currently the boat drives like its on rails, with the xri. Love it

would like to get some kick back if the gen 2 will cooperate for me.

just want to maintain hole-shot and consistency throughout the power band. really not looking to squeeze out top end, to sacrifice driveability.

if the set up is correct for the gen2, does it behave differently then say a gen 1?

6. Member
    I think you will be fine with the Gen 2 Torquemaster, when you get the height set right. Even if you could somehow gain 10 MPH by switching from a 200 HP to a 250 HP your top speed wouldn't concern me. I like my Gen 2 Torquemaster better than any Gen1 that I have ran.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Setback is measured from the end of the KEEL in your case, to the nose of the gearcase.

Keel should be parallel to ground (level). Anti-ventilation plate should be parallel to the ground (level).

Then measure from edge just below bildge plug to the nose of the gearcase. That's your setback.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Don

appreciate the clarification. Always reads more clear when a question is answted directly vs reading in the FAQ����*♂️

So as per my picture, im at 28”, although the motor is not perfectly perpendicular to the ground, from what i can share, it would need to be lowered another 2.5-3”, at least the xri. Which leaves me at 25”ish. Not sure how the pro xs gen 2 will sit, but if its 24” or so now, u think the gen 2 should perform adequately

Regarding my hull weight,1300 dry, stock checkmate starflite, which im probably little less the thn stock, 1200 lbs,
    your first instinct , would a gen 2 LU even be a topic of discussion for me?

I think you will be fine with the Gen 2 Torquemaster, when you get the height set right. Even if you could somehow gain 10 MPH by switching from a 200 HP to a 250 HP your top speed wouldn't concern me. I like my Gen 2 Torquemaster better than any Gen1 that I have ran.
    Savage, can you elaborate, what do you mean by saying “your top speed wouldnt concern me? What would concern you?

You basically sayin, go for it. Youl love it?!

I think theres more to gain then just 10mph. But as i mentioned the repower is not really for top end, rather gas consumption, and dialing in the boat with a more reliable newer 2 stroke. Seems like it will be getting harder and harder in the years to come to find a 2 stroke with the 4 stroke phenomenon
    Last edited by Check85; 02-27-2024 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Reading comprehension better after my coffee

10. Member
    I would be concerned if the top speed was 90+ MPH. I'm not concerned at low 80 speeds.

I would be concerned if the top speed was 90+ MPH. I'm not concerned at low 80 speeds.

gotcha. Yea i dont see 90 happening

I just know the requirements for this Gen 2 and wanted to confirm i wont experience any of the negatives i have read. That was my reason for posting

regarding Hull weight, set back etc.

I feel I am a candidate for this lower, and will benefit. Just looking for peoples feedback/knowledge

what is considered a “light weight” hull. In terms of lbs?

12. Member
    let's see the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by blackboat View Post
    let's see the boat!

how to post pics?
    faq link

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Check85 View Post
    how to post pics?
    faq link
    Go to "General Forums" >>>>>> Help with Boards/Posting/Videos, etc.

Go to "General Forums" >>>>>> Help with Boards/Posting/Videos, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by blackboat View Post
    let's see the boat!
    as requested BlkBoat

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There is a very detailed setup post in the FAQ Section for the Gen-2 TM on these engines. I can tell you that a good starting point will be the 3rd hole and leave jackplate right where it sits. You'll likely only move UP from that point, but it will give you a good starting set of data (provided you're running a suitable prop).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    There is a very detailed setup post in the FAQ Section for the Gen-2 TM on these engines. I can tell you that a good starting point will be the 3rd hole and leave jackplate right where it sits. You'll likely only move UP from that point, but it will give you a good starting set of data (provided you're running a suitable prop).

don. Yea im dialing in my setup. Im still wrapped up so im “fudging” my numbers If anything im shootin on the lower side to play it safe

I am trying to get comparison measurements of the XRI lower to the gen 2 lower. Any info on this?
    xri serial OG201960
    20240229 085710547022.png20240229 085801159756.png20240229 091044525248.png
    Last edited by Check85; 02-29-2024 at 08:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast