Esay Loader trailer brakes

This is posted in the Skeeter section also.

I have a 2010 Skeeter iClass with a Easy Loader Skeeter trailer. I had to replace an axel because it was bent. The brakes on my old axel were not giving me any trouble. Now with the new axel when I brake "kinda hard" the wheels lock up and tires smoke. The new axel came pre-assembled with all the brake parts from Easy Loader. The installer simply had to bolt everything together and bleed the system. Let's see if y'all agree that the issue is with the new brake system somewhere and not the brake actuator.

2. Member
    Disc or drum ?

3. Member
    Sounds like drum brakes? maybe they’re not adjusted up tight enough and the gaps are too big or you have oil or a leak getting oil on the shoes
    Last edited by mactlman; 02-28-2024 at 07:24 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    MAYBE? my old trailer had a small shock absorber in the tongue, if this shock absorber is bad, the brakes could come on too fast, MAYBE?

I think i had a similar issue with mine, but that was a long time ago. good luck
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

5. Member
    I had the same type issue with my brakes. I changed brake pads and calipers, bled the lines, new brake oil and it would lock up on me. Turns out some how trash in my actuator was allowing fluid to flow to calipers but not allowing the fluid and pressure to release. Like a check valve would work. Soooo changed the actuator and they work perfectly. Not a cheap fix!!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
    Disc or drum ?
    Disc brakes on front axle.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Mud View Post
    MAYBE? my old trailer had a small shock absorber in the tongue, if this shock absorber is bad, the brakes could come on too fast, MAYBE?

I think i had a similar issue with mine, but that was a long time ago. good luck
    I'll look for that but don't remember seeing one unless it is inside the tongue tube.

Thanks for the suggestion!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hankgun View Post
    I'll look for that but don't remember seeing one unless it is inside the tongue tube.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    It’s probably inside the actuator. An A60 actuator has a shock and a spring inside them. I’m not sure if your trailer has an A60 actuator or not, but if not it’s probably similar

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    It’s probably inside the actuator. An A60 actuator has a shock and a spring inside them. I’m not sure if your trailer has an A60 actuator or not, but if not it’s probably similar
    I believe it is a A60. We are going to the trailer shop Monday. I hope it is an easy fix. I have a grandson who wants to go fishing during Spring Break.

10. Member
    Let's see. You hit the brakes. The truck slows down. The trailer pushes on the tongue. The trailer pulls back from the truck which takes the brake pressure off. The brakes release. In your case the pressure stays on. Either the tongue is binding or there is still pressure in the calipers. A bad flex line, master cylinder or a mechanical bind at the tongue.

If you really want to go you could put a lockout bolt in the tongue to immobilize it and go without brakes but remember I DIDN'T TELL YOU TO DO IT.

11. Member
    [QUOTE=billnorman1;13414864]Let's see. You hit the brakes. The truck slows down. The trailer pushes on the tongue. The trailer pulls back from the truck which takes the brake pressure off. The brakes release. In your case the pressure stays on. Either the tongue is binding or there is still pressure in the calipers. A bad flex line, master cylinder or a mechanical bind at the tongue.

Almost...apply brakes doing 70...not really hard, medium I guess. Trailer pushes on tongue. Brakes lock, tires smoke. Trailer pulls back and brakes release....until trailer pushes up again. I have looked at parts diagrams and see that there is a "shock absorber (as Team Mud stated) inside the actuator. I am thinking maybe it is weak and allowing trailer to jam forward too fast and hard? I don't know...just guessing. Will find out for sure on Manday.

12. Member
    14 year old actuator. For peace of mind just replace it. Super easy to do and will make a world of difference. You will have to bleed the lines after it's done and if your calipers and pads are shot, it won't help as much but it did a world of good for my trailer braking.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    14 year old actuator. For peace of mind just replace it. Super easy to do and will make a world of difference. You will have to bleed the lines after it's done and if your calipers and pads are shot, it won't help as much but it did a world of good for my trailer braking.

NoCAL

Thanks NoCal. I am leaning that way the more I read about brakes. The calipers, rotors and pads are new...installed in Oct 2023

14. Member
    Makes sense to replace the actuator. It’s not that difficult if I could handle it, lol
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

15. Member
    Well....the trailer shop mechanic decided to lube the actuator to see if that would fix it and "save me some money". Then they couldn't read my phone number so the boat has been sitting since Monday afternoon. I got it back and hit the road, braked and watched as my tires smoked. Took it back & took mechanic for a ride to see. Hopefully now they will replace the actuator as I suggested. Dang it! I hate being old and not able to do (or want to do) things myself.

16. Member
    Pacific trailer has a parts diagram for an a60.
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

17. Member
    Replacing the actuator did not fix it. Neither did changing the tongue height up or down. I am taking it to a different trailer shop later this week.

18. Member
    Yay! it is fixed. There was a lot of air in the lines. After bleeding the system I have no more skidding or locking up of the brakes.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hankgun View Post
    Yay! it is fixed. There was a lot of air in the lines. After bleeding the system I have no more skidding or locking up of the brakes.
    Well K.M.A.!!! Probably had Winter air in there too. Let us know how much was too much. I (we) run 55 PSIG.