Batteries for Ultrex

I’m not ready to take the lithium plunge for trolling motor batteries..Need to replace my Interstate group 31 flooded. I’ve had Deka’s in the past and really liked them. Any other suggestions on flooded batteries? TIA!

2. Member
    I have been using the group 29 (fit in my group 31 tray fine) Everstart Maxx from Walmart for a little while. They seem to be holding up well so far and seemed to be priced well for the specs.

3. Member
    I have heard good things about them. Thanks!

4. Member
    My local Walmart sold both the non-Maxx version and the Maxx. The non-Maxx has a 12 month warranty and the Maxx has a 24 month warranty. Other than the warranty I’m not sure exactly what the differences between the two are.

5. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Duracell from Sam's Club has been good for me, on my third set. I get 3 good years from them.

I fish March thru December so they get plenty of use.. Also they get plugged in as soon as the boat is back in the garage. I think this is a must for long life.

I do believe they are a Deka battery
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

6. Member
    I got 5 years out of my last set of Interstate batteries. 29 DCs at Academy $119

7. Member
    I have 10's of thousands of dollars of east penn deka batteries in use. Good batteries along with U.S. batteries and Trojan. If you go to buy a lead acid battery, find out where it is made. China, stay away. The heavier the battery the better. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

I've always had better performance with East Penn batteries over Johnson Controls. I buy Deka from either Lowe's or Batteries Plus.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

9. Member
    If you are running flooded cell lead acid batteries, I strongly suggest that you make sure you have them bolted down to the battery tray. Securing lead acid batteries with a simple nylon strap and buckle severely shortens the life of the battery. I was replacing my trolling motor batteries (Interstates, Dekas, DieHards, even Trojans) every 2-3 years when I was using the straps. After switching to mechanical tie down trays, I was getting twice the life out of a set of batteries.

The last set of Interstate group 31 batteries I had in my boat lasted 7 seasons before I had to replace them.
    This is the tie down I use… https://thmarinesupplies.com/product...-rod-hold-down

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CV_X21 View Post
    If you are running flooded cell lead acid batteries, I strongly suggest that you make sure you have them bolted down to the battery tray. Securing lead acid batteries with a simple nylon strap and buckle severely shortens the life of the battery. I was replacing my trolling motor batteries (Interstates, Dekas, DieHards, even Trojans) every 2-3 years when I was using the straps. After switching to mechanical tie down trays, I was getting twice the life out of a set of batteries.

The last set of Interstate group 31 batteries I had in my boat lasted 7 seasons before I had to replace them.
    This is the tie down I use… https://thmarinesupplies.com/product...-rod-hold-down
    Please explain how you think that made a difference. Not understanding.

11. Member
    My Interstate dealer explained that each time you run your trolling motor, a chemical reaction takes place inside the lead acid battery that causes oxidation to form on the lead plates in the battery. As the oxidation builds up, you lose battery power because the oxidation is like rust and it blocks the chemical reaction that creates the power. When you recharge the battery, that oxidation gets cleaned off and falls to the bottom of the battery case, where it builds up over time. If your batteries are tied down with a nylon strap, the vibrations during trailering (especially in Pennsylvania) and running in rough water cause the oxidation in the bottom to slosh around and after only a few years, the oxidation builds up high enough to short some of the plates, causing a premature failure of the battery. A mechanical tie down tray helps eliminates a lot of those vibrations.
    I tried his idea & it worked for me; the 1st set lasted 6 1/2 years. One of the last set batteries I bought lasted for 7 1/2 years, the other was still going strong in the beginning of the 8th year when I traded the boat for a new one.

12. Member
    Thanks. I guess I don't understand the difference in vibration between the two hooks down methods. Down is down and both will be subject to sloshing and vibration. But if it worked better for you then that's all that matters..

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    Thanks. I guess I don't understand the difference in vibration between the two hooks down methods. Down is down and both will be subject to sloshing and vibration. But if it worked better for you then that's all that matters..
    I concur
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

14. Member
    When I used the nylon strap to hold the battery down, no matter how tight I pulled the strap, I could rock the battery side to side by at least an inch. After I bolted the battery down with the long bolts, I could just barely rock the battery at all and my new batteries lasted 6 ½ years.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CV_X21 View Post
    When I used the nylon strap to hold the battery down, no matter how tight I pulled the strap, I could rock the battery side to side by at least an inch. After I bolted the battery down with the long bolts, I could just barely rock the battery at all and my new batteries lasted 6 ½ years.
    Yeah, I see how that would make a difference. Thanks for the info

16. Member
    Group 29 everstarts from Walmart.