250 Pro XS 4 stroke charging fiasco SOLVED

Serial # 3B144614

Since I took delivery, it had seemed that my batteries died quickly. Once Mercury lifted the ban on lithiums, I switched to an Ionic 125ah and still, the battery was going dead sooner than expected. I have 5 graphs and 3 black boxes, including the s3100. Anyway, I got a second battery and put it in parallel and still was dead or near dead at the end of a really long day. So, then I finally checked the app at various times and saw that current was always going out of the batteries under all circumstances. The dealer said the alternator was good, fusible link was good, passed all checks. I knew this wasn’t right. I tried to diagnose myself but didn’t have muffs to check while running. Anyway, finally got to checking various things and figured it must be a bad alternator. I had them order the 100p version. Dealership puts it on and it’s still not charging. This time I had them check with it running at their shop before I left. I get out the voltmeter and clamp various cables to check flow and check voltages at different places, and I finally figure out that the ground strap that bolts to the block under the alternator is the problem, at the connection to the block. Anyway, get it grounded properly and voila, it works. Fired it up and suddenly I am getting 15+ amps back into each battery. Just wanted to post this for anyone else who might have problems.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good catch! Was the cable missing, disconnected, or just a poor connection at the block?

Good move on the alternator upgrade kit! Now focus on a moratorium against any more boxes and screens.

Thank you for sharing this- it's an area that's seldom thought of!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks for posting your results!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Good catch! Was the cable missing, disconnected, or just a poor connection at the block?

Good move on the alternator upgrade kit! Now focus on a moratorium against any more boxes and screens.

Thank you for sharing this- it's an area that's seldom thought of!
    Cable was there. Good and tight. Just bad connection from it to the block. You could test the bolt at the alternator, the cable ends at either end, or the bolt at the other end and it would show 14.6V from the alternator positive post while running. Check the block right next to the ground connections and it would show 13.2V. Added an additional ground cable and it then showed (I think) 14.2v, I’m sure sending some to the batteries at that point, since it was actually connected, brought the voltage down some. Anyway, current flows showed 15+ amps back into each battery. When I had it on the lake this weekend, once RPM’s got up, it was sending 40+ amps to each battery, so running the motor itself must only take 20 at most.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good deal. And good job!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor