Question 2016 Pro XS 250 2 stroke, System Fault 26

Was idling out and my alarm started going off.
    6 intermediate beeps
    Smartcraft gauge info showed System Fault 26.
    Hit info button,,, <Air Injector>,,, Direct Injector not working properly,,, Non-Critical - Service Engine Soon.
    Has the motor in limp mode.

Brought it to a local Merc mechanic shop and hooked it to the computer. Scan showed no faults. Mechanic thinks it might be the Smartcraft gauge.
    Motor idles and sounds fine but is still in limp mode.

Any ideas what it could be?

Quote Originally Posted by Nutoy View Post
    Was idling out and my alarm started going off.
    6 intermediate beeps
    Smartcraft gauge info showed System Fault 26.
    Hit info button,,, <Air Injector>,,, Direct Injector not working properly,,, Non-Critical - Service Engine Soon.
    Has the motor in limp mode.

Brought it to a local Merc mechanic shop and hooked it to the computer. Scan showed no faults. Mechanic thinks it might be the Smartcraft gauge.
    Motor idles and sounds fine but is still in limp mode.

Any ideas what it could be?
    No sir, message is created and sent from PCM, was mess, preceded with 1-6 , indicating which cylinder.
    High probabilty of a a poor connection on the injector in question, could very well be an intermittiant short in injector windings causing low or high resistance. I consider 1.1 ohms a failed DI injector, 1.0 ohms will cause code to set
    Last edited by lpugh; 02-23-2024 at 10:13 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    No sir, message is created and sent from PCM, was mess, preceded with 1-6 , indicating which cylinder.
    High probabilty of a a poor connection on the injector in question, could very well be an intermittiant short in injector windings causing low or high resistance. I consider 1.1 ohms a failed DI injector, 1.0 ohms will cause code to set
    No sir. No 1-6

I talked to another mechanic and he said the same. Possible a poor injector connection.
    He recommended I unplug and replug all my injector connections.
    Did that.

Now my Smartcraft gauge is say, Lost Engine Com.

Gez, *%#*&

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perhaps you unplugged something other than just Direct Injectors?

OR... shorted a wire and blew a fuse....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Perhaps you unplugged something other than just Direct Injectors?

OR... shorted a wire and blew a fuse....
    I have looked and looked again and can't find anything unplugged.
    It's possible I blew a fuse, but all the fuses I've checked are good.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the fuses in the holder at the bottom of the PCM. Note the LOW amperage (usually 2 or 5 amp) fuse... test it for continuity.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Update...
    Ended up being a bad connection in the boat wiring harness.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nutoy View Post
    Update...
    Ended up being a bad connection in the boat wiring harness.
    Motor harness, I see. Nothing in boat harness that would set an injector fault!
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Motor harness, I see. Nothing in boat harness that would set an injector fault!
    That wasn't the problem for the boat harness... see Post# 3 (lost engine communication on Can-P).