Thread: Gelcoat damage

Gelcoat damage

Pulled boat out last nite and noticed there are chips of gelcoat missing right where the keel meets the transom in two spots. Hit a sandbar or scraped something......can't tell but would like to ask if anyone would not put the boat in the water a couple times before getting it fixed. The laminate is exposed right at the joint where the pad and transom meet. There are only a couple more days on this trip where the boat will be in the water and am hesitating to put it in the water. Thanks for the answers!

Last edited by Rangerdeepv; 02-23-2024 at 07:43 AM.

2. Member
    Finally got hold of a gelcoat/fiberglass person..............said it would not be a good idea. Going to get it fixed week after next.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Finally got hold of a gelcoat/fiberglass person..............said it would not be a good idea. Going to get it fixed week after next.
    That would have been my guess, but I’m not a fiberglass repair person. You’re showing a lot of exposed glass fiber there. For an hour or two, you’d probably be fine. But two days seems like a risk.

4. Member
    You could easily repair that yourself. Order the correct gel coat from Ranger and watch a YouTube video on gel repair. That would take about 1 hour total over to repair and cost about $40 for a pint of gel can $7 for wax solution.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grits and gravy View Post
    You could easily repair that yourself. Order the correct gel coat from Ranger and watch a YouTube video on gel repair. That would take about 1 hour total over to repair and cost about $40 for a pint of gel can $7 for wax solution.
    Would need mek and silica also but not hard to fix either. Post in the restoration area for great advice
    Last edited by mactlman; 02-28-2024 at 02:10 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    Having not worked with gelcoat/fiberglass before under the water line and a corner like this I will leave it to the pros.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Having not worked with gelcoat/fiberglass before under the water line and a corner like this I will leave it to the pros.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    Guess I’m confused …. So the exterior glass can’t see water but you can fish in rain all day and the hull bilge area can see water for hours and hours and hours and there is no effect ?

Quote Originally Posted by BassJP View Post
    Guess I’m confused …. So the exterior glass can’t see water but you can fish in rain all day and the hull bilge area can see water for hours and hours and hours and there is no effect ?
    He’s through the barrier coat and into raw glass. If it was me I’d marine Tex it and get back to fishing. I’d take it in for complete repair when I had enough dings to justify a stay at the glass shop. I’ve done that with all my boats.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassJP View Post
    Interior of bilge and such is coated over the raw glass, right?
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Interior of bilge and such is coated over the raw glass, right?
    Yes, it is. Rough coated, but still coated.

12. Member
    You could have fished and it would have been fine. The only problem is that area has to completely dry out before they can work on it. Thats a few days or whatever. Id have fished and dealt with it later. Vacations are rare wonderful things, dont mess with them. Fiberglass repairs can be done anytime.

13. Member
    Apparently clobbered something or backed up trailer into something as they have to grind out both spots and reglass the holes. There are also a few divots taken out of the hull on the bottom I did not see. 4k later and it should be good as new............Break Out Another Thousand or Four!