Ranger 522 live well problem, help!

Trying to help my son figure out an electrical issue with his 2001 Ranger 522 live well system. Both live well pumps for each side are wired together with their respective brown and black wires. Then the pumps will run when the single brown and black wires are touched directly to the battery. When the switch is activated and the light on the switch is on, we get battery voltage at the plug from the switch. But, when we connect the pump wires to these hot plug wires the pumps will not run! Can’t figure it out. Any ideas??

2. Member
    I had the same problem., but it was one pump. Turned out to be an open black wire.(common). I have seperate feeds with fues on each. Look under batter compartment lid there shoul be a wiring diagram. Could also be timer is bad.

3. Member
    Could also be a bad bad switch.. Connection good enough to transmit battery voltage under no load, but when loaded, too much Resistance in the switch and motors won't run.
    If you pull the leads off the switch and close the switch circuit by just touching the two wires from the switch together (effectively performing the swithc function) what happens?
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

4. Member
    Check and see if you have a timer in the system had a similar problem was the timer.

5. Member
    If your boat has a manual/auto switch. Do the pumps run in manual. If it runs in manual but not in auto then it is the timer. If it does not run in either then it is a fuse or 2 fuses which could mean you have 2 bad pumps. highly unlikely, but possible. Pull th pumps and check then individually with 12 volts.