126sv Ultra Heading Sensor

If you have a Point 1 or Steadycast heading sensor hooked up to a 126sv ultra, can you choose the heading sensor as the source for heading and still use the units built in GPS for position?

For example, the heading sensor is mounted on the transom and I want to set waypoints using the unit on the bow. I don't want them to be 20' off, but I do want the heading sensor to keep my map from rotating.

2. Member
    GPS is setting the spots based off the unit you’re setting your point. ie, the GPS is built into your unit, not the sensor attached.

Yes. You can pick your preferred source for heading and for GPS.

Steadycast does not have GPS capability. It is compass only. Most Point-1s have both compass and GPS. (Point-1 units that were made specifically for Evinrude are GPS only)

Garmin's 24XD provides direction and GPS.

You can choose to use any GPS source on your NMEA or the built-in GPS receiver in your MFD.
    And you can pick your heading source independently, as well.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

4. Member
    Got it, thanks!

Soo.... new to Garmin here... finally made the jump and pulled AT off my otherwise all Lowrance setup and am adding LVS-34 with 126sv in its place this week. Or maybe will run both, haven't decided. But definitely adding LVS-34.

Otherwise, I'm all Lowrance with four other HDS 12's, Ghost TM, SS3D, Point 1, etc. So, I can connect the 122SV to my current nema network and utilize the Point 1 for heading information, and the 122SV's internal GPS for actual GPS/marking waypoints/etc - if I understand above correctly?

Not sure that I will need any waypoint marking/management on the 122sv as like many it's sole purpose is for the LVS-34. All my mapping/waypoints will still be handled with the Lowrances with Navitonics and C-Map cards, unless I'm missing some important tidbit. AT used the point 1 for the on screen directional indicator of the AT transducer - I assume Garmin does something similar?
    Last edited by 78Staff; 02-25-2024 at 11:33 PM.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Yes, you can use the Point 1's with Garmin units.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Excellent, thanks