Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    What blanks are they using do you know?
    You'd have to give the shop a call as I don't know off the top my my head. Sorry.

2. Member
    I just got a Flyssa for the intention of using it as a hairjig rod. First impression is that it will be a home run. Very whippy tip tapering slowly to a good backbone. I just put a Ballistic 2500 on it spoiled with 10lb Daiwa X8 Grand J Braid and a 6lb leader. I tied on an 1/8oz hairjig and could easily cast about 50 feet with the flick of the wrist. This rod will absolutely shine as a hairjig rod as I could easily triple my casting distance while on the water using a proper whip cast. While I can’t compare it to the Daiwa I’m super happy with the rod, its construction and design. I really like the grip too.
    2023 Phoenix 819 Pro
    2023 Mercury 200 ProXS

3. Member
    I have actually owned both rods, specifically the original Destroyer Flyssa, and currently own the Tatula as my dedicated hair jig rod. The Flyssa is a fantastic rod, with exceptional sensitivity, but I believe it is a tad too firm to be a really good hair jig rod. IT IS A GREAT Ned Rig Rod. Would probably perform was as a deep water drop shot rod, and yes, if you don't throw a hair jig much, it would suffice as a decent rod to throw a hair jig. That said, the Tatula could be the best hair jig rod I have ever owned, and I have tried a few over the past 5 to 6 years. This rod throws the lightest of hair jigs with ease and it has a great action that allows you to handle big fish without the fear of pulling the hook out or breaking off super light line used to throw hair jigs. That said, this rod isn't very versatile and can't be used for many other applications. I have tried throwing small finesse swimbaits and spybaits on the rod and although the action is suitable for those types of applications, the rods lack of power really doesn't perform well when you increase the weight of the lures/presentations you are throwing. I love the new Tatula Elite Hair Jig Rod, but it is a one trick pony for me and is my dedicated hair jig rod.

I was hoping someone had fished the Chris Johnston Tatula- thanks MainelySmallmouth! If anyone had experience with the rod I figured it’d be you. Looks like that will be my next rod purchase.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12