Dedicated electronics battery necessary?

I have a dedicated wiring harness in my boat. It consists of 10 ga to a buss at console then 3 sets of 10 ga going to two 12 in units and LS blackbox up front.
    I attach the power to my main breaker at the rear.

Would it be better/clearer if I installed a separate cutoff switch and a dedicated battery just for my units and black box?

I believe that I have clear images. Just curious as to other peoples experiences with trying to get the best, clearest images.

Thanks,

AK

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Necessary, no. Beneficial, maybe. It depends on what else you have operating off the electronics battery which might add RFI.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Member
    I have 4 graphs and M 360 running from a fuse block connected to a master cutoff, main power starting battery. I believe it is 8G to the block and 10G from block to electronics on bow. I used factory power from graphs on console to fuse block ( 3 feet).

I installed 1 year ago, NO Issues so far.

If I had to do it all over again I would like to have a separate battery/fuse block/cutoff switch for electronics only.

4. Member
    What kind of voltage do you get to the bow units. Is there much of a voltage drop? The whole seperate battery theory is to get "clean" power to your electronics. This basically means adequate voltage with no interference. If voltage is an issue, might be a wiring size problem or battery capacity problem. If it is an interference problem a seperate battery could solve this. There are alot of high AH cranking lithium batteries now that will supply more power than you could ever use. No need for a seperate battery
    Last edited by Toby; 02-22-2024 at 09:51 AM.

5. Member
    It's my belief that the people who get better performance with a separate electronics battery are repairing bad wiring when they install the separate battery. I have a Ionic 125 amp hour for cranking, and electronics. Just for kicks, and because I had room, and a group 27 cranking battery laying around I installed it for cranking, and everything except my graphs. I didn't have a problem to start with, and it made zero difference.

6. Member
    I have a dedicated lithium battery for my livescope but i done it strictly so i shouldn't have much of a chance of having interference. I have a helix 9 at console for mapping, marking waypoints, down & side scan & a helix 7 at the bow strictly for map, depth & marking & viewing waypoints. From the starting battery to the bow I used some old unused paver electronics wire from work that had each individual wire insulated & then had another level of insulation around it. I soldered & heat shrinked all connections & have never had an ounce of interference & have used it on a bunch of different units over the years. I've been using the same harness for around 15 years too.