Water intrusion?

Just got a set of 200 optis that I posted about yesturday. The serial numbers are 2b362048. I removed the bottom cowling today to find that the bottom half of both motors have some pretty heavy salt on them. It looks like something can be leaking either from a hose or coming in through the cowling gasket. I pulled the water strainer out and it was caked in salt. I have no rigging for the motors to run on the muffs yet but if I hook the holes up to the back flush would I be able to find a potential leak like that? Is there any specific areas to check? Thanks

2. Member
    ck the popett diaphragm. you'll see it leaking once you get it running.
    a low motor install keeps that pan full of water.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by massbays View Post
    ck the popett diaphragm. you'll see it leaking once you get it running.
    a low motor install keeps that pan full of water.
    Ok thank you. Not something I can see with the flush hose right?

4. Member
    doubtful but may see others remember a drip can become a flood at 5000 rpm
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also: Make certain the engines are standing UPRIGHT before connecting a hose to the Coastal Flush Port.

Corrosion Warning: Housings/plates are not the only concerns with corrosion in this area. Fuel rails, hoses, injectors, coils or drivers, shift position switch, and other low-mounted components can also be rendered useless (requiring costly replacements in some cases).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Also: Make certain the engines are standing UPRIGHT before connecting a hose to the Coastal Flush Port.

Corrosion Warning: Housings/plates are not the only concerns with corrosion in this area. Fuel rails, hoses, injectors, coils or drivers, shift position switch, and other low-mounted components can also be rendered useless (requiring costly replacements in some cases).
    Ok thank you. Hopefully it's all good. I know the motors were mounted on a very low to the water transom in a salty environment. It looks like it is all contained to the bottom of the motor where the top cowling meets the bottom cowling. Are these motors prone to leaked at the gasket there? I'm also looking for a service manual. 90-859769R03 seems to be the one that I need. Can you confirm this is correct? And is there any sources to download it online. I like to have them in my phone and computer rather than a paper one. Thanks

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury does not offer "downloadable" service manuals for consumers. Hard-copies can be purchased through any Mercury Dealer (see Rhonda's post at the top of the Forum- she can set you up).

As far as leaks... we see one leak occasionally, but what's far more common is backwash over the back of the cowling when coming off plane. THAT will flood the cowling in a hurry.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Mercury does not offer "downloadable" service manuals for consumers. Hard-copies can be purchased through any Mercury Dealer (see Rhonda's post at the top of the Forum- she can set you up).

As far as leaks... we see one leak occasionally, but what's far more common is backwash over the back of the cowling when coming off plane. THAT will flood the cowling in a hurry.
    ���� Thanks