New Battery Recommendations

Hey all,

I need to replace all of my batteries. I have a 115 Opti (2013) - Ill have up to 2 Fishfinders... probably 9" and 5" - Chirp or Sidescan (no livescope), rarely use livewell.

I will be getting the new Minn Kota Terrova - 80lb (non-brushless version)

Can I get some recommendations on brands and size?

Boat is in storage, can't recall what I have in it now.

Thanks

Your cranking battery will handle the two graphs just finem, you'll need to reference what you have now and just go grab an everstart or the like from Walmart. Unless you want a lithium cranking?

For the trolling motor, 50-60Ah is a good starting point
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | 4" Jackplate | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

3. Member
    Thanks

4. Member
    do you know what your current charger is? lead acids i would recommend batteries plus duracell 31, you can find them across the county with a 2 year warranty. agm the X2 31 is a tank of a battery also from batteries plus but a bit expensive at over $400. I wont get into the lithium debate as there are plenty of recommendations and board sponsors on here.
    2023 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Yamaha SHO S/N 6KWL 1004324

I agree on the Duracell batteries. I replaced all of mine a couple of months ago, got them at SAM'S CLUB.

6. Member
    For your application Sams Duracell - 31 AGM cranking, and a pair of the same 31s wet cells or AGMs...
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

7. #FRB
    With the graphs you'll be running and trolling motor you'll be running Walmart wouldn't be a bad choice. Couple group 27's or 29's for the trolling motor and a group 24 cranking would get it done. I'd still consider getting a group 31 agm for the cranking and other 12v stuff just so you know you'll have the capacity if you decide to fish sunup to sundown during the longer days of summer. NAPA and O'Reilly have pretty decent group 31 agm fleet/farm batteries for a good price. I also won't go into the lithium debate because it's not for everyone. Plenty of info on here if you want to research it. I run lithium on my trolling motor and love them.

One more thing...if you don't go with one of the big bad boy batteries check to make sure your 115 Opti isn't like the v6 Opti that needs over 1000 cca to be happy turning over.
    Last edited by Highcentered; 02-29-2024 at 01:48 PM.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

8. Member
    I vote Walmart batteries. My cranking battery which I just run a deep cycle because my console unit and pumps go off it too is over 6 years old going strong. TM batteries I get 5 years. Have my boat for 10 yrs now and just installed my 3rd set of TM batteries last year
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

9. Member
    Wallyworld batteries will work fine for you . They have 2 diff cranking batteries in 24 size . one is 650 mca and other 1000 . If the have it go ahead and spend 20 bucks more and get the 1000
    Model # is 24MS and 24MS2 . The MS2 sell out fast when they have them .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

10. Member
    Wallyworld has changed their battery manufacturer ! it’s no longer Johnson Controls ! go to Auto Zone “Duralast” batteries are the same as the original Everstarts !

11. Member
    Duracell 31 group AGM is a great battery and they last. Give them a try.

12. Member
    If I am not mistaken, your outboard requires 800 ccas for cranking, so you should exceed that by at least 150 ccas to allow for your graphs, etc. On the least expensive side, the 31 fleet/commercial batteries as suggested in a post above would do the trick. On the more expensive side, the X2/Northstar and Odyssey 31 AGM are beasts. The Sam’s Duracell AGM has 800 ccas, so it has always been a crapshoot with an Opti. Works for some, not for others. You may be ok with it as your graph load is minimal, and you rarely use your livewells. Wet cells in group 27 or 29/31 are the least expensive for the troller. If you want to bump it up in price, but want to stay away from lithium for the troller, those Sam’s Duracell AGM’s would be great. Whatever you decide on, make sure your charger is capable.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S