Hip replacement surgery

Had mine done on February 8. I think today with the help of a fishing buddy I could launch my boat and fish a little while with just a little discomfort. I’ll definitely still weak in the hip and muscles but it’s amazing what they do these days in medicine. Fyi. My wife won’t let me😂.

2. Member
    If you don't mind me asking who did your surgery?
    Hi Mike.

3. Member
    Wow! Glad you are doing so well. I had two hip repairs and it was 5 months after the last one before I could golf. My friends who had hip replacements were playing golf in 4 weeks from surgery. It truly is amazing what modern medicine can do now.

Did you get the Anterior or Posterior surgery?

I got the Anterior when I had mine done a few years ago. I was walking (With a walker) that evening and once I got home the next day I was walking around the block every day, eventually with a cane and finally without any aid.

I got lucky pain level wise, I didn't take the med's they gave me because they made me feel like crap. Just Advil which worked fine. Recovery was pretty fast and I believe I was out in the boat after about a month... though the wife didn't like the idea! Go figure!

Meantime, I'm still glad I had the procedure. IMHO, the new hip is better than original equipment!
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    If you don't mind me asking who did your surgery?
    Will Johnson. MS Sports Medicine. Jackson, MS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    Did you get the Anterior or Posterior surgery?

I got the Anterior when I had mine done a few years ago. I was walking (With a walker) that evening and once I got home the next day I was walking around the block every day, eventually with a cane and finally without any aid.

I got lucky pain level wise, I didn't take the med's they gave me because they made me feel like crap. Just Advil which worked fine. Recovery was pretty fast and I believe I was out in the boat after about a month... though the wife didn't like the idea! Go figure!

Meantime, I'm still glad I had the procedure. IMHO, the new hip is better than original equipment!
    Anterior

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSteed View Post
    Will Johnson. MS Sports Medicine. Jackson, MS
    I gotcha, I used Dr. Almand at Sports Medicine..
    Hi Mike.

8. Member
    I took the Oxytocin for three days and it helped with pain but really just made me not care about the pain. Weird. Anyway I had a grown man break down crying spell one night and I quit taking it. ��. OxyContin will make a grown man cry. ����

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    I gotcha, I used Dr. Almand at Sports Medicine..
    Yes he is awesome! Probably top ten in the country.

10. Member
    Yes he is awesome! Probably top ten in the country.
    He's is good on hips, he also did a partial knee replacement.
    Hi Mike.

11. Scraps
    That sounds a little quick. My gal is having one in September and she's to be out for 6-8 weeks with little activity.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Banned
    Very interested in this thread. March 14th for my hip replacement and have been curious about recovery time for fishing and golfing.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    That sounds a little quick. My gal is having one in September and she's to be out for 6-8 weeks with little activity.
    If she has the anterior procedure she will be back before 6 weeks. Not 100% but for sure walking good. Should be.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerOKC View Post
    Very interested in this thread. March 14th for my hip replacement and have been curious about recovery time for fishing and golfing.
    I’m 2 weeks out and wiped my boat down today and fiddled with it. Mostly without a cane.

15. Member
    I’m 62.

16. Member
    My buddy fell off of a road grader at work in 1999 & broke his hip in 4 places. He just went in this past Friday& had a hip replacement. Doctors told him to put up with it for as long as he possible could & he made it 25 years. He's 67.

17. Member
    Had mine done on February 8. I think today with the help of a fishing buddy I could launch my boat and fish a little while with just a little discomfort. I’ll definitely still weak in the hip and muscles but it’s amazing what they do these days in medicine. Fyi. My wife won’t let me.
    Yes, you could BUT be carefull. I fished in a buddies bass boat about 30 days post total left hip replacement last June. Probably should not have because it got rough and the wave pounding was pretty severe, going couple miles over a small lake. Just zero reason to risk any damage until everything sets. Wish I had not.

Dr. suggested I wait 6 months for offshore fishing due to hard pounding. I went 20 miles offshore, with wife, snapper fishing 2 months post. BUT we went very slow... in my boat so could manage the waves.

Good luck!
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

18. Member
    Been there, done that. Trust me, if you get too aggressive and tweak that hip, you’ll regret it in the worst way.

19. Scraps
    If she has the anterior procedure she will be back before 6 weeks. Not 100% but for sure walking good. Should be.
    Not sure what her procedure is, but she walks like a woman that is 12mos pregnant. Waddles.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerOKC View Post
    I was about 2 months for golf, but took it slow. Biggest issue was trusting to turn hard into my left side (mine was left hip). That new titanium prosthetic is NOT coming out after couple months BUT the tendons will be damaged and take a long time to recover. Remember your supporting tendons/muscles have shrunk over the years due to the cartilage degrading, needs time to readjust.
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC