Hover strolling hooks

Since I'm unapologetically frugal (cheapskate) the idea of paying $12 forIMG_1779.jpeg three weighed hooks is insane to me. I finally created a mold that works. These are the first attempts. What I don't know is if the absence of points at each end of the lead will make it too difficult to insert into the soft plastic. Has anybody else made their own? As it is now I can only find a couple of brands that even make weighted hover hooks. Hopefully more manufacturers will start making them and the prices will drop to a reasonable level.

Dang where are they selling for $12 for a 3 pack?
    Core tackle sells 3 for 6.49 and gambler has theirs for $5

3. Member
    Those look great!
    Hi Mike.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot-a-saurus View Post
    Dang where are they selling for $12 for a 3 pack?
    Core tackle sells 3 for 6.49 and gambler has theirs for $5
    Yes, plus $5.99 shipping.

5. Member
    They ain't cheap! I've deciced to try and learn the technique after blowin' some coin on a HELIX 5, new rod, lures, terminal tackle. I try to learn at least 1 new tactic/year
    Proverbs 28:1

Yea if you’re only ordering a pack of hooks it’s a bad deal I guess lol. No offense
    Last edited by Spot-a-saurus; 02-21-2024 at 11:30 AM.

7. Member
    Without having pointed ends, like the Core Tackle ones have, I do think you'll have a hard time getting those to slide into soft plastics without ripping up the baits.

Those look real similar to the heavier tube heads that are used on Lake Erie. To insert into solid plastic, make your self a coring tool out of an old ball point pen refill or a slightly larger diameter metal tube of some kind.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Without having pointed ends, like the Core Tackle ones have, I do think you'll have a hard time getting those to slide into soft plastics without ripping up the baits.
    That's what I'm thinking too. Worst case scenario is I'll have to use a dremel to grind a tapered point.

10. Member
    You are not really that frugal. A true frugal would just pinch on a splitshot and go catch fish. It's not rocket science. Rig the plastic, pinch. Test for balance, crimp. Easy.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    You are not really that frugal. A true frugal would just pinch on a splitshot and go catch fish. It's not rocket science. Rig the plastic, pinch. Test for balance, crimp. Easy.
    Pinch a split shot onto the hook?

12. Member
    Just thread wrap a pointed tungsten nail weight onto the bottom side of the hook shank. Finish it with some epoxy and you're good to go.

13. Member
    I've made some by tying nail weights to hooks (pretty sure these are 604's) and then putting some brush on super glue over the thread. The pointy part helps both thread it on and hold the head. The one you can see I ground down with a file. These were just some lead nail weights. The best option I've found is BPS tungsten nail weights end to end so that you get a pointy end on each side (and the tungsten is smaller). They come in 10 packs so for $5.29 you get 5 hooks in either 1/16 (2 x 1/32) or 1/8 (2 x 1/16) plus the cost of whatever hooks you use. I've never used one of the Core ones but these catch fish.

hoverhooks.jpg

14. Member
    yes. Crimp lead. Oval or cigar cylinder. Many choices.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

15. Member
    That's another great idea ^^^^^^
    Hi Mike.

16. Member
    And these are cheap and work great. You can get the big ones made for salt water and "target big fish" with your $5 glide bait.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    And these are cheap and work great. You can get the big ones made for salt water and "target big fish" with your $5 glide bait.
    I played around with some of the crimp on hooks and you can get them to work but they don't work great on skinny baits. I've put some of the thinner lead ones in the bigger flat worm.

18. Member
    Nail weight and heat shrink works pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    Nail weight and heat shrink works pretty good.
    Yep, made some with 3/32 oz and 3/64 oz. Lunker City lead nails.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL