Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    Two TOTALLY different animals.....
    I was talking as bait for Bass.

2. Member
    I spent a summer working in Orlando and learned to catch wild shiners. If you don’t mind the asterisk some will give next to the catch, shiner fishing in Florida in urban lakes might have the best actual chances at some double digits with the largest wild shiners you can find.
    2023 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Yamaha SHO S/N 6KWL 1004324

3. Member
    If you live in or near NC, Lake Jordan is a good place to try. I caught my second 10+ there last March on a jig. I have caught many 7-8 pounders there and at least one over nine. Falls Lake and Harris are also contenders.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    They'll just laugh at your worm
    @ 74 I'd Be Proud !

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    Attachment 543489

Ok…… glasses on.

I swear he’s close to 10” (maybe 9.7)
    Glad you got that FFS !!
    Last edited by NAMVET1968; 02-21-2024 at 08:49 PM.

6. Member
    I caught 4 DD's on this shallow Delta.I only know of 3 other fishermen in my 70 years to catch one here. I actually caught two of those the same day in 2009. Talk about lightning. I caught two in Florida, one at Toledo Bend , and 2 last year in north La....trying for my #10 in two weeks.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    I was talking as bait for Bass.
    I understand sir, Wild shiners are considered a baitfish...I know of nowhere that trout can legally be used as bait.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derikhudsonfishing View Post
    I just came back from fishing the MLF Invitational on Sam Rayburn in Texas and it left me craving a battle with a Big Bass. I thought Texas was the big bass capital of the world but i didn’t see that first hand. Just curious if anyone would be willing to share their thoughts on bodies of water known for Big Bass?? I may need to make a trip!
    I have three them from right here in Virginia. Two just over 10 from Swift Creek Reservoir in Chesterfield, but they ruined that place now by putting in grass carp. The other was over 12 from the Chick River. Briery Creek used to be labeled the best place east of the Mississippi River other than Fla. for DD but then the the largemouth bass virus hit and it has not gotten back to being that good.

I was on Lake Baccarac last week. Lot of top water action but my biggest was a 10.66 on a 7” Yamamoto worm. The best place is The Federation Lodge. We fly to Mazatlan through Dallas and they drive us to the lake from there. Safe & a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Clear Lake has them. But not easy to catch them. Heard of 2 over 11 this year Lots of 6-8 pounders. Takes over 30 to win here year round. I’ve caught 3 over 10 here and 3 at the Delta.
    How were they caught? Top water, punching, jig?
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

11. Member
    They use trout for bait here in east Tennessee all the time.

12. Member
    Lake Erie. Smallmouth are sometimes a nuisance when targeting walleyes. If targeting SM you should have no problem with double digit catches.

I've heard it several times that once a bass gets to the 5 lb mark it becomes an entirely different and much harder to catch animal. I think there's definitely something to that.
    Ranting incoherently

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123