Oil Prime after Compressor replacement

I've just finished replacing the compressor on my 2014 250 Pro XS. I am wanting to know all of the options that I have regarding priming the oil system.

-What are the risks of putting the engine back into break in mode (using shifter method)?

-Are there any other options other than getting an oil prime sequence done by my local shop?

I plan on making a stop into the shop to have them do the prime sequence but am curious as to whether there are any other methods out there being used?

Thanks

2. Member
    Serial number 2B109483

3. Member
    those are the only 2 , breakin risk fouling those high dollar plugs , but i have not seen one fouled from this personally use up alot more high dollar oil too
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

so, I know there are some downsides to the shifter method "break in mode" and it may not be considered the correct method. I'm curious though. New compressor in with fresh rings that need to be seated properly? from the new compressor's standpoint isn't double oil beneficial? not breaking in the motor, but breaking in the compressor?
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    so, I know there are some downsides to the shifter method "break in mode" and it may not be considered the correct method. I'm curious though. New compressor in with fresh rings that need to be seated properly? from the new compressor's standpoint isn't double oil beneficial? not breaking in the motor, but breaking in the compressor?
    Compressor receives plenty of oil under normal strategy.

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Another drawback of the Break-in Reset is that it clears ALL FAULT AND RUN HISTORIES. It leaves ONLY the Total Runtime Hours intact.

Please don't use this method for ANY purpose other than a replacement powerhead. Makes for a real pain down the road when you're trying to determine what happened to the engine hours and/or fault info.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Compressor receives plenty of oil under normal strategy.

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Another drawback of the Break-in Reset is that it clears ALL FAULT AND RUN HISTORIES. It leaves ONLY the Total Runtime Hours intact.

Please don't use this method for ANY purpose other than a replacement powerhead. Makes for a real pain down the road when you're trying to determine what happened to the engine hours and/or fault info.
    Is the software to do the prime something that I can buy? Or is the price tag very high?

7. Member
    around $600 several years ago

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check out "Diacom" on the web.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willis_C View Post
    Is the software to do the prime something that I can buy? Or is the price tag very high?
    PM sent

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    around $600 several years ago
    Still about the same price, Rinda Technologies is the company who sells the Diacom software. Much less expensive to have a dealer run a prime sequence.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Diacom is well worth it if you maintain your own engines.
    Twin 200 2005 Mercury Optimax Engines
    1B191661
    1B160290

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Diacom is well worth it if you maintain your own engines.
    I have to agree. Although I haven't had to do any extensive trouble shooting with it, it is nice to have access to all of the monitor parameters, selt tests, fault history and so on. I made an extension harness to be able to connect to the PCM remotely and not have to remove the cowling. I don't regret spending the money. On the other hand, finding the correct gauges for a DIY gauge set has been a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Otdrzman View Post
    I have to agree. Although I haven't had to do any extensive trouble shooting with it, it is nice to have access to all of the monitor parameters, selt tests, fault history and so on. I made an extension harness to be able to connect to the PCM remotely and not have to remove the cowling. I don't regret spending the money. On the other hand, finding the correct gauges for a DIY gauge set has been a challenge.
    I agree to all having the Diacom software. Good idea with the extension harness. I’m going to have to look into making one.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

14. Member
    No disagreement from me on the value of Diacom but if all he needs is a prime sequence that's an expensive way to get one.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    No disagreement from me on the value of Diacom but if all he needs is a prime sequence that's an expensive way to get one.
    It's only money!!!

Honestly, compared to what I spent on a truck and boat, fuel for truck and boat, insurance for everything, traveling around, vacations, etc, the $600 I spent on Diacom is a drop in the bucket.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    It's only money!!!

Honestly, compared to what I spent on a truck and boat, fuel for truck and boat, insurance for everything, traveling around, vacations, etc, the $600 I spent on Diacom is a drop in the bucket.

Right there with you Bob, $1200 for a Shockwave S5 for my wife so we can continue fishing together a few more years (I don't have or need one), but, haven't seen my way to $600 for the Diacom - yet. Part of that is follwing Don's recommendations to the letter almost since acquiring our boat the rest is my personal attention to detail and care. I truly believe my Optimax will outlast me.

I say I'm cheap, my wife says I'm frugal, of course she's right. LOL.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax