Random hard spots in power steering

3B098123
    2021 300r

Hey all, So finally got a chance to get the boat out with some decent weather and noticed in random spots in when spinning the wheel left or right I get this real hard spot that I have to over come when turning the wheel and it doesn't seem to always been in the same position. The steering has never been "one finger turning" since I got the boat new but I was told by mercury it should be at a boat show a year or so ago so I wonder if maybe there has been an issue since I took delivery and it's just now giving up the ghost?
    And to clarify yes I can hear the power steering pump when the engine is running and when turning

My question would be is, is the mercury power steering covered under the warranty just like the outboard? Out here they charge about $160 just to diagnose an issue warranty or not I'm coming out of pocket that fee regardless, but I'd like to find out if this issue whatever it could be would be covered by mercury.

Thanks

2. Member
    Yes, steering is under warranty if installed with the motor and is OEM and motor is under warranty. Do you have a tilt wheel? If so the u-joint for the tilt might be binding. Try lowering or raising the wheel to see if it stops.

3. Member
    I did try that and I still get the same results unfortunately no matter which position I have the wheel in.

4. Member
    I think you have air ( not uncommon) in your system. Need to bleed the air out. Get your dealer to do it or watch a few youtube videos.

5. Member
    if the dealer is charging you to find and fix an item under warranty, I would call mercury and also find another dealer--double dipping!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt James View Post
    Yes, steering is under warranty if installed with the motor and is OEM and motor is under warranty. Do you have a tilt wheel? If so the u-joint for the tilt might be binding. Try lowering or raising the wheel to see if it stops.
    Just to clarify this:

Any Mercury or Quicksilver Rigging Accessories that are installed with the engine install, assume the ENGINE'S warranty period (rather than just the 1-year P&A Warranty). This would not extend to Non-Mercury steering system components.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I made a few phone calls yesterday and other than being told (bring it in) which I was prepared for, one shop actually mentioned it could be do to a low charged battery any thoughts on this?
    I am running lithium batteries and the battery has a charge but it isn't not fully charged.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Absolutely must be fully charged- and properly rated, too. See FAQ Section: "Batteries that Meet the Requirements"

Above all: Get this corrected ASAP, preferably before your next outing. Respectfully submitted: "Steering is NOT an "Optional Accessory"- It's a critical safety item."

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Thank you very much Don.

10. Member
    Hate to resurrect this, but having issues again.
    Just to recap. Batteries fully charged, pump directly connected to the battery per mercury instruction manual with fuse and proper gauge wire. Friday I was prefishing for a tournament and had the issue arise again where randomly when giving some steering input say for example in a sweeping turn the power steering will work correctly however upon returning the steering back to center coming out of the turn I loose power steering and is only hydraulic. Doesn't sound like a big issue but when you're cruising at 55 mph and it happening with no warning is a little unsettling.

I have dropped the boat off at a local Mercury service dealer to have them take a look at it. They gave me a call this afternoon, and of course as always it seems they weren't at the time of the call able to replicate the issue. I did explain to them when running on the hose to flush how I was able to "replicate" the issue and I have not heard back as of yet which fingers crossed means they found something or have be able to duplicate the issue.

My question is at this point for Don, or anyone else is, is this a common issue with these pumps? The Mercury part number for the pump in question is 8m6005909 and just doing some of my own research, others have stated heat do to the insulation of the housing surrounding the pump however I'm not on board with that theory just yet while I do understand that excessive heat over time can degrade parts I'm not sure after 80 hours that would be the issue. The other is improper wiring to a distribution block and not directly to a battery which mine is wired straight to a battery so I can count this one out.

Thanks again.