Question SMART CRAFT GATEWAY

Hello All,
    I am planning an installation of the Mercury NMEA 2000 CAN-P SmartCraft Gateway 8M0165589 and having some equipment questions. I think I have it fairly straight but wanted to confirm before committing to purchasing the needed hardware.
    GATEWAY.JPG

My plan was to install a Can Data cable between engine and gateway. Then gateway to my existing NMEA 2000 network. This would give me engine data to my Hummingbird Solix unit(s).

I do/did have a culumdrum with the CAN DATA Connector found on the back of the engine. Since I need to remove the blue terminator, I assume if I use the Mercury-Mercruiser 84-879982T20 10 Pin CAN Data Harness w Resistors Non DTS 20 Ft.with the resistors on both ends, This would replace the existing terminator?
    HARNESS.JPG
    Since it looks like both the harness and gateway have female ends, I would need the Mercury-Mercruiser 84-892452T01 10 Pin Adapter Harness Male/Male?
    HARNESS MALE-MALE.JPG

As far as I know... These should be the only three(3) components I would need to get this project done or am I missing something?

Thanks

2023 RANGER REATA 1850MS
    2023 Mercury PRO xs 175
    SERIAL 3b396720

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Suggestion: STOP where you're at. You don't need a MULTI-ENGINE Gateway for a single-engine installation.

Additionally, the Gateway Sticks are an old technology, and are being replaced by other devices that can be updated.

One drawback to any "Gateway Only" setup is that it sends only RAW data. While that's fine for temp, RPM, battery voltage, it poses some significant challenges when you move to Trim, Fuel Level, etc.

For this type of installation, I'd strongly recommend the Smartcraft CONNECT or the Level-2 MercMonitor.

Can-P harness only has a Can-P Terminator in it. This requires modification of the engine-end to include TWO resistors if you are rigging your boat in this fashion. Rhonda can set this up for a very nominal charge.

Rhonda, in our Parts Department is very well versed in assisting you in obtaining all of the appropriate components needed for your installation. See her post, pinned at the Forum, and drop her an email for a list of available systems and options to suit your needs.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Suggestion: STOP where you're at. You don't need a MULTI-ENGINE Gateway for a single-engine installation.

Additionally, the Gateway Sticks are an old technology, and are being replaced by other devices that can be updated.

One drawback to any "Gateway Only" setup is that it sends only RAW data. While that's fine for temp, RPM, battery voltage, it poses some significant challenges when you move to Trim, Fuel Level, etc.

For this type of installation, I'd strongly recommend the Smartcraft CONNECT or the Level-2 MercMonitor.

Can-P harness only has a Can-P Terminator in it. This requires modification of the engine-end to include TWO resistors if you are rigging your boat in this fashion. Rhonda can set this up for a very nominal charge.

Rhonda, in our Parts Department is very well versed in assisting you in obtaining all of the appropriate components needed for your installation. See her post, pinned at the Forum, and drop her an email for a list of available systems and options to suit your needs.
    Thanks for the info and I did reach out to Rhonda today and she sent me a few options to consider.

One that I am considering is the SC CONNECT - Under Cowl. I am assuming this would not require any modification with resistors or am I confused as she did not mention that in her offering for this option?

I am also reading through some literature and it appears there is a requirement to use the mobile app to set things up. It also appears that there is a need to input dealer information to get this up and running. Is this something that would be included?

Looking through the manuals it appears that the NMEA2000 TX PGN's from the SC CONNECT are aligning to what Hummingbird accepts.

One point of uncertainty is my fuel sensor. is there an option to also bring my fuel sensor into my graphs realizing this may be a separate venture?

Thanks
    Last edited by Brewfixer; 02-19-2024 at 05:41 PM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As discussed today by email, the under-cowling version of the SC-Connect installs in place of the terminating resistor.

The dealer app is just that- those licenses require you be a dealer to get them.

Fuel sensor: A fuel harness is available, once installed you LOSE any analog fuel gauge function. Additionally, fuel level is "raw data" (meaning it's not as simple as "zero to 100 percent"). For calibrated data, a Display is needed (MercMonitor, SC-1000, VesselView, or Garmin/Raymarine later-style graph compatible with SC Connect).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Hi Don,
    Wanted to thank you and your team for the SmartCraft Connect option. I received it today, installed and all appears to work as expected.

I do have a question.... Is this compatible with the vessel view mobile app? I thought it would be but I am unable to make it work. Not a deal breaker as I have what I wanted but was curious.

Thanks

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It is a separate device (entirely different from Vessel View Mobile).