175 Pro XS fuel starvation

2017 175 Pro XS s/n 2B399702

Recent maintenance: Plugs replaced (the good ones from the Merc shop). Replaced primer bulb with OEM bulb.

The last time the motor ran wide open was November. Ran it on the muffs a few times since

First trip after the maintenance, I did a lot of idling. Finally made it to a boat lane and decided to stretch its legs. Throttle down and the motor does like it should for 30 seconds then starts spitting and sputtering and falls on its face. Throttle back to idle and it catches up to itself and idles fine. Try to go WOT and it just spits and sputters and bogs down. Still idles fine. Let it idle a while, and it will run for 30 seconds again. One time I let it idle for a while, gave it WOT just to get it on plane, then backed off to 2800ish RPM and it ran a lot longer before it again spit and sputtered and fell on its face.
    Replaced fuel filter. Nothing changed. Ran a hose from the ball inlet to an external gas can to isolate the boat fuel system. Nothing changed. Thought maybe I pinched a fuel hose when I dropped the lower cowling, but hoses seem free to move. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
    And I did check the plugs and wires for security and all good.

2. Member
    start with new pulse pump /or kit
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And if you didn't replace the fuel line, remove the line from the bulb and check to see the inner liner all bunched up or separated inside the line.

The 5/16" B1-15 line should always be a fresh connection, and the line should be heated in piping hot water for 20-30 seconds. Shake water off and install line onto nipple.

DON'T re-use the end unless it's been trimmed and you've confirmed the liner is intact.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Update: Rookie mistake on the 5/16 gray fuel line. EuropeanAM hit the nail on the head!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Glad it was a simple fix!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor