Knock off lure blanks

I was hoping to get information on what lure blanks are you using that perform as well as they look for the various styles. I assume there is plenty of junk out there as well as some knockoffs that run very similar to the “original “ .
    please share some of your favorites and where you get them.

I used an airbrush 15+ years ago to paint camo patterns on some rifle stocks and other items. I tried painting a few large square bills a few weeks back in prep for a Florida fishing trip and am now hooked. After watching a ton of videos, I painted my first 3 baits. I need to buy eyes as well.
    IMG_2219.jpeg
    IMG_2218.jpeg

IMG_2221.jpeg

2. Member
    I'm new to this as well, only starting a couple months ago, and have been getting a ton of help from the guys on here. I purchased 20-25 baits from Sugartit custom lures and another 20-25 from Alternative Lures. There are lots of other places you can buy from, but those places had the baits I was looking for. So far I've only been able to test out a handful of different baits, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the action of each. I bought some Spro Rock Crawler knock offs that seem to swim really well. I also got some Megabass S-Crank 1.2 knock offs and some Deps Evoke 1.2 knock offs and all of them have performed well. The only other baits I have water tested at this point was a Jackall TN70 lipless knock off and a Megabass Z2 crank knock off. Again, they all swam just fine. I can't say whether they perform the same, better, or worse than the originals, but I'm happy with their action. I can almost guarantee there are differences in the knock offs vs. the originals that you may not notice (like the type or thickness of ABS plastic used, or the number or type of rattles, etc...) but that make the bait swim or sound different than the original. I've got another half-dozen or so different baits that I haven't water tested yet, but I have high hopes for them as well. The only one I have purchased that I did not like very much was an S-Waver 168 knock off. As of now it doesn't sit level in the water but instead has a nose-down position. I may try using a larger hook in the back to see if that levels it out. And maybe it's my fault due to using 2-part epoxy as the top coat and possibly getting it on too thick on the front half of the bait. Hopefully this helps a little bit, but there are several very helpful people on here that can give you great information and back that up with a lot of experience as well.

3. Member
    I like the wiggle wart and rock crawler knockoff blanks from Predator Bass Baits Predator Bass Baits - Lures, Lures, Fishing (unpaintedcrankbaits.com) They are good blanks and catch fish.

Alternative Lures I like his Deps Evoke Knock Offs. Unpainted Lures | Alternative Lures I've had varying levels of success with his swimbait blanks. Some don't perform and there is no review option on his site. Buy and try one before you buy more.

For squarebills and flatsides I get them from Fishhead Custom Lures. Used to be Dinger Baits. They have always been quality blanks that perform as they should.

110 knockoffs I have been pleased with these
    Lure Blank | Jigshack│Custom Tungsten and Crankbaits For any of the 110 knockoffs you may have to weight them or change hook sizes/split rings to get them to suspend no matter who you buy from. You might be better buying these already painted with good hooks from AliExpress. Bearking is a good brand. Top quality but limited color selection. You cannot beat the price and I have never had any issues with ordering from AE.

Biggest issue with blanks is 1) they leak and fill with water or they don't perform as they should. For most of the billed baits they perform as they should but may leak. For hard swimbaits its a crapshoot on performance. The ones that perform are often sold out quickly. You'll have to try a bunch before you get one that works the way you want. For any buy a few before you make a big order. This is one swimbait I can vouch for 023-P GBB-Glide | get-bit (getbitcustombaits.com)

List of suppliers for blanks is here: Crankbait Blank Suppliers - Hard Baits - TackleUnderground.com - Tackle Building Forums I have bought from most of them at one time or another. I'd say 80-90% of the time I am happy with the quality and how they perform. Water leakage is the biggest issue I see. Some times they leak around the hook hangers and you can dab some epoxy there and it will fix the issue. Other times they are hopeless. I bought from one company years ago and every bait he sent me leaked. He went out of business. Nothing worse than spending time painting and have a leaking bait but it happens even with production baits.

Biggest pet peeve of mine is blanks that don't perform as they should. You would think blank suppliers would try them out before they sold them but apparently some do not take this step before they list them on their website.

Buy good production baits on clearance if you can. You will not be able to do transparent color schemes but in most cases you will not have to worry about performance or the baits leaking. I know at least one top level bait painter that will not paint knock off blanks.

Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 02-19-2024 at 11:08 AM.

4. Member
    Buy good production baits on clearance if you can. You will not be able to do transparent color schemes but in most cases you will not have to worry about performance or the baits leaking. I know at least one top level bait painter that will not paint knock off blanks.
    [/QUOTE]

Blanks or repaint factory paint? If the latter, what do you do to prep a factory painted bait before you repaint?

Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    Blanks or repaint factory paint? If the latter, what do you do to prep a factory painted bait before you repaint?[/QUOTE]

Scuff with a scotch brite pad. Paint away. Unless you want to sand blast with walnut shells.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    I scuff and prime white or grey.

7. Member
    maybe a dumb question, but how would the bait leak if you put a good top coat on it? Wouldn't the top coat cover and seal up any area that might leak?

If you dip your products in two coats of automotive clear, I have never had one leak water. I think some people that spray don’t get enough product on the bait.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

9. Member
    I used to use Devcon 2-ton epoxy as a clear and would put finished baits on a turner to level the epoxy as it dried. Nothing thicker than that for a top coat. I still had leakers. Baits painted in transparent colors will show it quickly. Many times it will be drops of moisture in the bait. That moisture will eventually cause the metal knockers to rust. The rust spreads into the cavity of the bait with some use and eventually ruins the look of the transparent bait. In an opaque bait a little moisture is not a big deal and you will likely not even know it is there. When opaque baits get a significant amount of water you'll notice they cast like never before until you realize they are full of water and sinking.

You'll have some that leak just give it some time.

I've never had leakers from the sellers I recommended above. I have some now from a newer seller on the list from Tackle Underground, I never bought from before, that leak (moisture droplets inside). These were painted in "ghost morning dawn" so they'll be ruined with time. I've had occasional production baits including Lucky Craft, Luhr Jenson and Strike King I have repainted that leaked. I had a batch of Luhr Jenson Hot Lips Express that all leaked and sank like a rock. Luckily I tank tested these before I painted and sent them out to a customer. When the founder of 6th Sense started buying from China his first batch of baits were all leakers. Almost broke him. The quality control in the bait making industry is all over the place so where you buy blanks is important, especially if you are selling them. I no longer sell baits so if I get some that leak no big deal. I just never buy from that seller again. Again buying a few to try is probably a smart move with all these sellers to make sure you are happy with the quality of the blank and the performance of the bait. A pretty paint job on a bait that doesn't perform is a waste of time and effort, which has been my major complaint with some of the hard swimbait blanks. Some of these blank sellers just buy from China and then post the blanks up for sale without checking them at all for quality or performance. Yes they are cheap but are just crap. Unfortunately, I see some of these baits for sale by painters. I would say with repainting name brand production baits you have a lot less of a chance of getting bad ones, but as with the examples above it still happens even with the high-end Japanese baits. End seller hard bait companies have to have some quality control or they will quickly earn a reputation for poor quality. It seems this is much less of a concern with the producers and resellers of no name "knock-off" blanks who target the hobby bait painter market.

If you have an Academy near-by they have a lot of hard baits on clearance now that are perfect for repaints with little chance you'll get a dud.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 02-21-2024 at 11:59 AM.

Obviously your epoxy method fails the leak test...