Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Why are outboard motors identified and regulated by HP?

This is a question I have had for a long time but could never find a good answer to. Why is horsepower mainly what manufacturers, regulations, and laws go by when it comes to outboards and why is that unique to the outboard industry? Why does every outboard have to come with the hp rating label on it, or is it that even required, and why are boats with inboard motors not like that and exempt from HP regulations as well? In many cases it makes very little since to regulate, and advertize them that way. Why not go by displacement instead like ever other motor industry? Does anyone know the history of how it came to be this way?
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 02-17-2024 at 03:50 PM.

2. Member
    That is a good question. I never understood that either.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

3. Member
    I bet it has something to do with the transom. And needing to statistically factor in the IQ bell curve. The lowest common denominator for the latter is set to about 70 with the latter, imo
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

4. Member
    God’s plan.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

I've wondered that too. I wish that I had an answer to it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    I bet it has something to do with the transom. And needing to statistically factor in the IQ bell curve. The lowest common denominator for the latter is set to about 70 with the latter, imo
    For the transom some 200 hp motors weigh 400 lbs and some weigh 600lbs yet they are still 200s even though the heavier one would put 50% more stress on the transom. For the IQ thing, it's illegal to put a 250 hp outboard on a 19 foot boat, yet you can have a 19 foot boat with a 500 hp big block inboard or better yet a 300hp Jet ski and it's perfectly legal. Both of those are good examples of why regulating them by HP doesn't make much sense.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    The motors aren’t regulated by hp but the boats typically sold for recreational purposes are. Why would you simply go by displacement? You certainly wouldn’t do that for a car engine, why do so for an outboard? A 75, 90 and 115 Merc have the same displacement.

8. Member
    If you went by displacement guys would have little 4 cylinder twin turbos that are massively overpowered for the size of the boat. Horsepower isn’t perfect for boat rating, but it’s not terrible either.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. Member
    it was to keep the citizens from taking a 16 ft boat an putting a 300 hp motor on it .

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    it was to keep the citizens from taking a 16 ft boat an putting a 300 hp motor on it .
    Well, technically, you can. I’ve known lots of guys with “overpowered” boats, based on the Coast Guard plate.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    The motors aren’t regulated by hp but the boats typically sold for recreational purposes are. Why would you simply go by displacement? You certainly wouldn’t do that for a car engine, why do so for an outboard? A 75, 90 and 115 Merc have the same displacement.
    Vehicle engines are identified by displacement. When someone asks you what engine you have or you go to look up parts you go by the displacement not how much HP it has. Jet skis and inboard boats arent regulated by HP so why are only outboards? You are right the 75-115 Mercs are the same displacement, so why limit it to a 75 when you can have a 115 with the same motor?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    If you went by displacement guys would have little 4 cylinder twin turbos that are massively overpowered for the size of the boat. Horsepower isn’t perfect for boat rating, but it’s not terrible either.
    Why is a 300hp outboard considered overpowered for a 19' boat, yet it's ok for the same size boat with an inboard or a much smaller jet ski? Compared to every else there is very little logic in rating outboards the way that they do.

Trolling motors - rater by power output.

Airplane engines - power output.

Electric generators - power output.

Batteries - power output.

Not sure why this is even a question.

14. Member
    If I make a your mom joke, do you promise to think it’s about somebody else’s mom? Great!

aimed at nobody in particular, but you wanna know what else is rated by their output? Your mom.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by novakevlar View Post
    Trolling motors - rater by power output.

Airplane engines - power output.

Electric generators - power output.

Batteries - power output.

Not sure why this is even a question.
    What is the legal HP limit on those?

16. Member
    Most all small engines for Lawnmowers are rated by HP..Alot of Farm equipment is also.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

17. Member
    I don't see the mystery
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Most all small engines for Lawnmowers are rated by HP..Alot of Farm equipment is also.
    Is there a limit to how much HP a lawn mower or tractor can have?

19. Member
    It is so tournament directors can discriminate against someone running a 300HP outboard on a boat that is has a capacity plate for a 300.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Garmin Force
    8' Raptors

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Why is a 300hp outboard considered overpowered for a 19' boat, yet it's ok for the same size boat with an inboard or a much smaller jet ski? Compared to every else there is very little logic in rating outboards the way that they do.
    Weight distribution from hanging off the back?
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast