Humminbird network question

I have a Helix 8 G3N at the stern, (tiller steer boat) with the SI ducer on the transom. I have a Ulterra 112 with the mega ducer on the bow. There is a transducer cable going back to the Helix 8, and also a network cable. For me to use the TM ducer, I have to unplug the SI ducer and plug in the mega on the bow. So I am adding a Helix 7 G4N at the bow and will now just plug the TM ducer into the Helix 7. Now my question is, what was the purpose of the network cable from the Ulterra to the Helix 8, was it just to control the TM from the Helix? If so, I really don't see a big need for that as I'm comfortable with the I Pilot Link remote. Can I disconnect the network cable from the Ulterra without it affecting it's operation or ducer? Reason being, I would rather just link the 2 Helix units together with the network cable so they can share info. I know I can buy a ethernet hub and connect all 3, but they are $300, I don't want to spent at this time. Thanks, Ron

2. Member
    OK, learning a little more. Seems like with no network to the Ulterra I will lose the ability to have the TM take me to a waypoint of follow a contour.

iPilot LINK is an Ethernet connection to a display for Follow-the-Contour via Lakemaster mapping, sharing GPS/Heading to a display, and on-screen trolling motor control.
    Adding another display allows sharing waypoints, sonar, GPS, with other units.

The iPilot LINK (Ethernet) has zero to do with sonar.
    You cannot use the Ethernet Extension cable you have to network just the two displays, you would need an Ethernet cable and another Ethernet Adapter (AS EC QDE).
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Also iPilot LINK via a display provides more memory for SpotLock waypoints and iTracks
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    OK, I have a second ethernet cable, and also the adapter to plug into the Helix unit. But you are saying the Link uses ethernet to do all the GPS controlled functions, follow the contour, go to, and mapping. That means the network cable from the Ulterra has to be connected to a unit or a 5 port connector to use Link. Sounds like I have to have the 5 port box to add the second Helix unit and tie them all together. I guess I have to start tearing the bow area apart, and see how I can incorporate the 5 port switch out of the weather and get all the cables to it. Not a lot of room to work with. Just a small deck the Ulterra sits on, with 1 of the 3 trolling motor batteries under it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShellbackCVA59 View Post
    OK, I have a second ethernet cable, and also the adapter to plug into the Helix unit. But you are saying the Link uses ethernet to do all the GPS controlled functions, follow the contour, go to, and mapping. That means the network cable from the Ulterra has to be connected to a unit or a 5 port connector to use Link. Sounds like I have to have the 5 port box to add the second Helix unit and tie them all together. I guess I have to start tearing the bow area apart, and see how I can incorporate the 5 port switch out of the weather and get all the cables to it. Not a lot of room to work with. Just a small deck the Ulterra sits on, with 1 of the 3 trolling motor batteries under it.
    Put the Ethernet Switch at the console if you have one.
    The LINK Ethernet Extension cable is 30' long and there is no shorter one.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Put the Ethernet Switch at the console if you have one.
    The LINK Ethernet Extension cable is 30' long and there is no shorter one.
    I have no console at the stern, tiller steer boat. To install the 5 port switch it will have to go under the bow deck. Good news is the cable from the Ulterra is long enough, I have the 20 foot ethernet cable going to the rear helix, so that is already under the bow deck. The sticking point will be the adapter cable for the front Helix. They are only 1 foot long. I would have to mount my bow Helix so the 1 foot cable will reach the 5 port switch. Not sure if that can happen. The other alternative is adding a 10 foot cable where a only I might only need an extra foot. If there's one thing I hate, it's balling up a bunch of extra cable.

Quote Originally Posted by ShellbackCVA59 View Post
    I have no console at the stern, tiller steer boat. To install the 5 port switch it will have to go under the bow deck. Good news is the cable from the Ulterra is long enough, I have the 20 foot ethernet cable going to the rear helix, so that is already under the bow deck. The sticking point will be the adapter cable for the front Helix. They are only 1 foot long. I would have to mount my bow Helix so the 1 foot cable will reach the 5 port switch. Not sure if that can happen. The other alternative is adding a 10 foot cable where a only I might only need an extra foot. If there's one thing I hate, it's balling up a bunch of extra cable.
    If you have a pre-23/24 Ulterra, the 30' cable (AS ECX 30E) will have to connect to the Ethernet Switch. It is an Extension cable, not a regular Ethernet cable and there are no other lengths available. You will have to manage a lot of excess cable in that case.
    But the cord connected to the motor may be long enough to reach the Switch and not use the extension cable.
    My Ultrex cord reaches the bow Ethernet Switch.

You will need an Ethernet cable between the Helix 8 and Ethernet Switch==those are available in 5', 10', 15', 20', and 30' lengths.
    AS EC 20 E is the 20' version.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you have a pre-23/24 Ulterra, the 30' cable (AS ECX 30E) will have to connect to the Ethernet Switch. It is an Extension cable, not a regular Ethernet cable and there are no other lengths available. You will have to manage a lot of excess cable in that case.
    But the cord connected to the motor may be long enough to reach the Switch and not use the extension cable.
    My Ultrex cord reaches the bow Ethernet Switch.

You will need an Ethernet cable between the Helix 8 and Ethernet Switch==those are available in 5', 10', 15', 20', and 30' lengths.
    AS EC 20 E is the 20' version.
    Ok, so the regular ethernet cables are female on both ends, and the extension cable is female on one end and male on the other? Thanks for your help, I think I have it figured out now.