Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are oil bath hubs still the best thing going?

Not sure if they ever were but I didn’t want to high Jack the other thread. Took boat out last Friday and noticed a little seepage of oil on the outside of tire a few days later. Is it a quick seal fix or should I consider replacing everything with their age? There was no wheel slop when I checked.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

2. Member
    I had the UFP gold hubs for 23 years without any problems and loved the easy maintenance. I ran Lucas hub oil in them and they never got more than slightly warm. I finally had a leaking seal last summer and switched to the old bearing buddies with grease. I was starting to worry about blowing out a seal and losing all of the oil while on the way home after dark. I feel like the grease system is more dependable although I have seen blown bearings with grease too.

3. Member
    Ditto to what Craig said; almost 20 years on mine and 0 issues. Given the time and miles I decided to change out my bearings and seals as a preventative and changed over to grease and BB in the process. But either system can have a seal go out and cause a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tr196 View Post
    Ditto to what Craig said; almost 20 years on mine and 0 issues. Given the time and miles I decided to change out my bearings and seals as a preventative and changed over to grease and BB in the process. But either system can have a seal go out and cause a problem.
    Where did you guys get your parts from?
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    Where did you guys get your parts from?
    You can bet and trust Adam will hook you right up fast with the correct parts needed!
    One stop shopping, and very knowledgable.

And you will get a BBC Discount.

Rick!
    2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS

6. Member
    I personally always had problems with water getting in oil bath hubs even on a new trailer. I like the Vault system.

7. Member
    Waymire distribution group …. Ask for Skip.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Appreciate the help!
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

9. Scraps
    I had the OG COOL hubs and thought they worked great. I believe they suffered bad press from misinformation. I had one failure due to performing maintenance that wasn't necessary. Otherwise flawless experience.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    I run oil filled hubs still and love them; Ranger still sells rebuild kits, and in this video is contact info for another place to get parts (and calipers and brake shoes which Ranger no longer carried):

ciao,
    Marc

11. Member
    Im assuming you made this thread after reading my thread on changing from oil to grease. I have had oil bath hubs on all my boats. I had zero issues up until i got my current rig. For the last 2 years ive struggled to keep oil in the hubs. I cant make it 2 months without multiple seals failing. Its been extremely frustrating for me. I loved my oil hubs on my other rigs. Never had issues.. super simple to maintain, super easy to tell if theres water in the hub, just an easier hub to take care of. I would love to stay with oil but im to the point where i have to make the change.
    Last edited by bass_sheid; 02-21-2024 at 07:37 AM.
    '07 Ranger Z20
    '13 225 Pro XS - S.#. 1B975120
    -10" Bob's Action Jack Plate
    -Duel 8' Blades
    -Helm: Duel 9" Carbons w/ A.I.
    -Bow: Gen4 Helix 15 w/ Mega 360 & Live 16 w/ A.T.
    -112lb/52" Ultrex

12. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by bass_sheid View Post
    Im assuming you made this thread about after reading my thread on changing from oil to grease. I have had oil bath hubs on all my boats. I had zero issues up until i got my current rig. For the last 2 years ive struggled to keep oil in the hubs. I cant make it 2 months without multiple seals failing. Its been extremely frustrating for me. I loved my oil hubs on my other rigs. Never had issues.. super simple to maintain, super easy to tell if theres water in the hub, just an easier hub to take care of. I would love to stay with oil but im to the point where i have to make the change.
    I'm betting today's seals suck.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    i don't know.. I can't imagine the seals are of lesser quality. I replaced the seals with the same seals as the original with no luck.. I've even tried a different brand and design with no luck. Every boat I've owned had T.D.E. turbo hubs and i loved them. But for whatever reason the 4 hubs i have on my current trailer will not keep the oil in and water out. I am to the point where I am going to try grease with a bearing buddy. If that doesn't work, I am going to replace all the spindles and hubs with T.D.E. Vortex hubs and spindles.
    '07 Ranger Z20
    '13 225 Pro XS - S.#. 1B975120
    -10" Bob's Action Jack Plate
    -Duel 8' Blades
    -Helm: Duel 9" Carbons w/ A.I.
    -Bow: Gen4 Helix 15 w/ Mega 360 & Live 16 w/ A.T.
    -112lb/52" Ultrex

In 40 years of boat ownership-----
    I've ran full circle from grease to oil to the vault hybrid. I'm now back to good ol grease in the vault hubs.

15. Member
    When you clean out all the hybrid grease and then fill the bearings and hub with grease and reinstall the hub will the hub push the grease towards the bearings the same way a bearing buddy would.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by botrdav View Post
    When you clean out all the hybrid grease and then fill the bearings and hub with grease and reinstall the hub will the hub push the grease towards the bearings the same way a bearing buddy would.
    Bearing Buddy does not push grease into the bearings it is designed to keep positive pressure in the hub, if you over pump grease into them you will blow out the rear seal. Many people have over greased believing they are pushing grease into the bearing and then blame the Bearing Buddies as garbage after they get water in the hub and burn up their bearings..

17. Member
    Thank You, I learned something today
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    There are a lot of shitty Chinese bearings and seals sold by trailer parts supply houses and auto parts stores. I would only buy high quality seals and bearings from a company known for making high quality seals and bearings, National Seal, Timken, Federal Mogul, SKF, are a few of the companies. The bearings and seals Dexter UFP uses and sells are Chinese junk.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass_sheid View Post
    i don't know.. I can't imagine the seals are of lesser quality. I replaced the seals with the same seals as the original with no luck.. I've even tried a different brand and design with no luck. Every boat I've owned had T.D.E. turbo hubs and i loved them. But for whatever reason the 4 hubs i have on my current trailer will not keep the oil in and water out. I am to the point where I am going to try grease with a bearing buddy. If that doesn't work, I am going to replace all the spindles and hubs with T.D.E. Vortex hubs and spindles.
    Have you replaced the wear sleeves on the spindles?

Quote Originally Posted by Blair B View Post
    There are a lot of shitty Chinese bearings and seals sold by trailer parts supply houses and auto parts stores. I would only buy high quality seals and bearings from a company known for making high quality seals and bearings, National Seal, Timken, Federal Mogul, SKF, are a few of the companies. The bearings and seals Dexter UFP uses and sells are Chinese junk.
    Its hard to find anything anymore that isn't Chinese junk from China.
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast