Thread: Alaska cruise

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar

Alaska cruise

Anyone done this? Wife and I are going on Norwegian cruise in June to Alaska. I must say I’m not excited at all about it and only thing I like is all the family is going and we love being with the grandkids which is only reason I’m going. It just doesn’t appeal to me after we have gone to all inclusive sandals resorts. Like to hear some opinions on this. I hate the idea of 4000 people on a boat standing in line for food or drinks
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

2. Member
    I get it, I’m a tropical kind of guy, but my wife has mentioned an Alaska cruise. Have to admit, the idea is growing on me, just to experience something different.

3. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    definitely on my bucket list.. you will be surprised at the lack of "lines" for food and drink etc.. have dinners in the dining room and don't hit the commons, kiosks or buffets at "regular" dining hours.. we found breakfast at 9:30 is and lunch at 1:30ish we were almost alone.. The ship isn't all that much different than an all inclusive except for the alcohol.. pay attention that first day and you'll figure out how to "work the crowd" so to speak.. my daughter and SIL went on one on Norwegian a few months ago and said it was awesome.. Do NOT forget to take binoculars!

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Have never been but REALLY WANT TO GO.

5. Member
    I've been to Alaska a few times, but never on a cruise. However, it's on my list to do at some point. Seeing the pictures from friends that have done it, I think it would be awesome, and they usually do a tropical cruise every winter.

One thing they said is a must, upgrade your room so you have a window. Unlike a tropical cruise where your view is open water and nothing to really look at, the whole point of an Alaskan cruise is the scenery, which you'll see the entire time except at night. The other thing they said is a must is a warm, waterproof jacket. They spent a lot of time out on the deck taking in said scenery, but it is Alaska, and it will be cool and rainy.

Don't be such a downer about "having to go on an Alaskan cruise".......some people will never be able to do what you're doing. Embrace and enjoy it!

6. Member
    We went about 20-25 years ago on a SMALL cruise ship. Only about 120 passengers. Couldn't stand the idea of 3-4k people. It was called Cruise West, but I'm sure they are no longer in business. I'm also sure there are other small ship cruises available. Cool thing about a smaller boat is that they can get in closer to shore to see wildlife, glaciers, etc. If someone saw a bear or something interesting, the captain would veer off and go look. We spent 3 weeks.. 2 weeks on the boat in different towns from Ketchican, Juneau, Sitka, etc. Then by train to Denali, Anchorage and ended in Fairbanks. Great trip, nice people and excellent food.

7. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    definitely on my bucket list.. you will be surprised at the lack of "lines" for food and drink etc.. have dinners in the dining room and don't hit the commons, kiosks or buffets at "regular" dining hours.. we found breakfast at 9:30 is and lunch at 1:30ish we were almost alone.. The ship isn't all that much different than an all inclusive except for the alcohol.. pay attention that first day and you'll figure out how to "work the crowd" so to speak.. my daughter and SIL went on one on Norwegian a few months ago and said it was awesome.. Do NOT forget to take binoculars!
    good advice, thanks
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

8. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    I've been to Alaska a few times, but never on a cruise. However, it's on my list to do at some point. Seeing the pictures from friends that have done it, I think it would be awesome, and they usually do a tropical cruise every winter.

One thing they said is a must, upgrade your room so you have a window. Unlike a tropical cruise where your view is open water and nothing to really look at, the whole point of an Alaskan cruise is the scenery, which you'll see the entire time except at night. The other thing they said is a must is a warm, waterproof jacket. They spent a lot of time out on the deck taking in said scenery, but it is Alaska, and it will be cool and rainy.

Don't be such a downer about "having to go on an Alaskan cruise".......some people will never be able to do what you're doing. Embrace and enjoy it!
    told the wife I want balcony room and drink pass so I’ll make the best of it
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

9. Member
    Never been on an Alaskan cruise, but I've been on several others. I bet I have stood in line to eat maybe five times total. Then they were short lines. Take lake folks advice and eat in the dining room vs the buffets.

10. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    told the wife I want balcony room and drink pass so I’ll make the best of it
    if ya just can't do it I'll go in your place,,,,,, what's the wife look like???

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

11. Member
    10 yrs ago we done 2 cruises nearly back to back. European cruise(2 weeks) and a Virgin island(10 day). We had room on the end of the ship both times(one trip a corner room). As far as eats, both trips I honestly never remember standing in line to eat! So many options. Pick ur eats and go get!! As far a activitys we chose to not book the "cruise activitys" and went searching on our own(was it a gamble... yes! But saved us many$$$$. IIs it a roll of the dice... yes! But our choice) a forward notices! They will leave you if not back at at boarding time! So your gamble!) We were very fortunate to not have a issues.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

12. Member
    Have fun. Haven't done that one, but some friends did last year, they loved it. Drink package is a must have.
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

It was one of the BEST vacations I have ever done. The country was gorgeous. I would go again in a minute. I wish we would have done an excursion in Ketchikan. We saw other folks that took a helicopter to a glacier and they all bragged at how awesome it was. We also went on a Whale watching tour and train ride up the mountain

My ex and I did several cruises and one about 10 years ago from Vancouver to Alaska. It was nice. They either run 7 days going north or 7 days going south. It's the same route either way and generally priced the same. I suggest going south to north for two reasons. First, all food is loaded onto the ship in the south. By the time it is getting back the vegatables and salad are getting a bit wilted and limp. Second, the scenery is pretty boring the first two days but then every day gets better and better until you finally reach Alaska where it's the best. If you go the opposite direction it starts out great and gets worse and worse and becomes a letdown. This is what our travel agent suggested to do and we were glad that we did. Finally, this should be obvious but some don't think about it, if you are getting a balcony room you would of course want to be on the right side of the ship as that is the side that will be facing the scenery the entire trip north. Balcony rooms always seemed to be a bit over-rated because we never spent much time in the room other than sleeping and they get a pretty hefty upcharge for them.

15. Member
    Been looking. 6000 a piece for the cheapest Alaska cruise. Never been on a cruise. Also thinking about just flying to Anchorage and renting a rv

16. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Been looking. 6000 a piece for the cheapest Alaska cruise. Never been on a cruise. Also thinking about just flying to Anchorage and renting a rv
    that aint right,,, keep looking and you can find deals,, my daughter and SIL that I mentioned earlier went for 2600 that included airfare from Tulsa.. that didn't include alcohol, tips or hotel, dinner and ubers on the front or back ends of the cruise,, they had about 3200 all in.. The cruise was round trip out of Vancouver..

17. Member
    The Boat Company - small boat. Excellent; highly recommend! https://theboatcompany.org/

18. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    if ya just can't do it I'll go in your place,,,,,, what's the wife look like???
    why do you think I’m going?
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

19. Member
    My wife and I are doing a cruise tour in June. 3 Days on the boat, 6 days on land. 2 days will be at Denali. The land part we will travel on a bus, a train and 2 different plane hops. We booked in August last year so it was a little cheaper $4700 for that and $1700 for airfare from KY to Vancouver and from Anchorage back to Ky.

20. Member
    I've been on several cruises but the Alaskan cruise was absolutely awesome, incredible views, interesting side trips and lots of great food. Never much of a line for anything. You can be as involved and active or laid-back and relaxed as you choose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast