Boats that fit in a standard sized garage?

I'm on the hunt for a bass boat that will fit into my garage, which is 20'2" deep. I'd like to get as big as I can for the size garage I have. So far, the Bass Cat Sabre FTD is leading the charge, but the price tag makes me throw up a little. I wouldn't mind an aluminum boat, but there are few layouts that will actually fit without modification. The XF179 comes close, but would require some "compacting". I just wanted to see what everyone else in my situation has.

2. Member
    I solved the problem by having a 12x24 aluminum shed built over a slab at the end of my driveway. Left one end open. Mahvelous.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

3. Member
    The Sabre is about it. My RT188 takes as much room as my Cougar did. That should give you an idea of how well Cat makes a trailer, I wish I'd kept my Sabre FTD. It was a good lil boat. I had both a 150 and 175 on it. The 175 really wakes that hull up!

Quote Originally Posted by megastink View Post
    I'm on the hunt for a bass boat that will fit into my garage, which is 20'2" deep. I'd like to get as big as I can for the size garage I have. So far, the Bass Cat Sabre FTD is leading the charge, but the price tag makes me throw up a little. I wouldn't mind an aluminum boat, but there are few layouts that will actually fit without modification. The XF179 comes close, but would require some "compacting". I just wanted to see what everyone else in my situation has.
    I had the same problem when I was looking at rigs. I actually was nearly dead set intent on the XF179 but ultimately wound up going the route which I'm currently at in my signature. Fit with a few minor adjustments no problem and by the time I was said and done with the adjustments and replacement of the trailer jack I think I was sitting at 19'9" overall before I did any mods which added length back on like the jackplate.
    Last edited by Extremeboating; 02-16-2024 at 09:32 PM.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    I had the same problem when I was looking at rigs. I actually was nearly dead set intent on the XF179 but ultimately wound up going the route which I'm currently at in my signature. Fit with a few minor adjustments no problem and by the time I was said and done with the adjustments and replacement of the trailer jack I think I was sitting at 19'9" overall before I did any mods which added length back on like the jackplate.
    which specific mods?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    I solved the problem by having a 12x24 aluminum shed built over a slab at the end of my driveway. Left one end open. Mahvelous.
    unfortunately, not an option for me. I live in an HOA.

7. Member
    Look at the Lund 1875 Pro V Bass. Big water capability in a package that might fit in your space. It's unique in that size range.

8. Member
    If you are going to be fishing big, open water, go for the Sabre. If not, I would look at the aluminum alternative and look at Xpress. Just me $.02 worth.

One other piece of advice is look at used boats... find a used one with low hours and still under warranty. Yes, you might have to look hard and drive to pick it up...but you can save a bunch of money.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Quote Originally Posted by megastink View Post
    which specific mods?
    Undo rear straps to make the rear of the boat loose. Loosen the front winch to make the strap loose, loosen the bow roller post, move it as forward as you need it to, and move the boat forward on the bunks. Just make sure the bow roller post/ winch assembly allows the boat to be mounted on top of it to provide some upward leverage on it.

If the boat now interferes with the trailer jack you will have to purchase a new one or move the trailer jack. If you have to buy a new trailer jack then your options are wide open. I had to get a Fulton F2 as the handle was shorter than the RAM trailer jack my trailer came with.
    Last edited by Extremeboating; 02-20-2024 at 12:54 PM.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

10. Member
    Also pay attention to the width of the trailer and your door opening. Some trailers are wider than others and you could only have an inch or two for clearance!