Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone watch….

Does anyone watch The Chosen? I’m torn - it is very well made and great to watch. It’s getting a lot of people excited about the story of Jesus and His first followers… but it’s not entirely Biblical. But they’re up front about that fact.

I really enjoy watching it- but I know where it’s “extra-Biblical” …. I was just curious what everyone’s thoughts are…

Is it good that people who may not read the Bible get a good “Bible based” story. Or is it bad because some people may mistake this for the actual story?

2. Member
    My preacher(and lifelong friend) says "you may be the only Bible some people ever read."

3. Member
    "It's getting a lot of people excited about the story of Jesus". Gotta be a good thing in my mind.

Especially because of the times we are seeing, I am going to say it is bad. Just another way for people to follow a false teaching. I haven't seen any of it, but if they are proclaiming it has inaccuracies, it's sad that anyone watches it. Even those that know where it errs, raise their ratings by watching it, making it more successful. Almost biblical may send people to hell. Look at all the false teaching and exposure people are getting that make them believe in a different Jesus. Like the commercial that says, "Jesus get us, all of us", that makes them think that their sin is ok. Think, "woe to those that call evil good". If people don't know right from wrong, they won't know to repent. Stick with "the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE".

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post
    Especially because of the times we are seeing, I am going to say it is bad. Just another way for people to follow a false teaching. I haven't seen any of it, but if they are proclaiming it has inaccuracies, it's sad that anyone watches it. Even those that know where it errs, raise their ratings by watching it, making it more successful. Almost biblical may send people to hell. Look at all the false teaching and exposure people are getting that make them believe in a different Jesus. Like the commercial that says, "Jesus get us, all of us", that makes them think that their sin is ok. Think, "woe to those that call evil good". If people don't know right from wrong, they won't know to repent. Stick with "the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE".
    This is the only way since Jesus paid the price for our sins with His crucifixation, Resurection, and Ascension after living a sin free life.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

6. Member
    Since I always believe that if you are going to give any opinion on anything , you better have first hand experience. I have watched it a few times and with any movie, they do adlib to fit or expound on a story line.
    I am sure that many of us growing up have watched the Ten Commandments or Judah Ben Hur, which though they were limited with what they had for shooting set, some of the scenes were modified to fit the story telling.
    God provided us with His teachings and Commandments, and it is up to us to use our discernment by reading and studying that which He has provided staying true to the fundamentals Christ provided for us in His teachings.
    "Jesus get us, all of us" if we reflect on this simple saying, we can find truth in it, since Christ gave His life for you and I when we were still sinners. He chose the cross that by His blood, the Father accepted it as an atonement for our sins, so that by Him we may be part of the Resurrection and the Life Everlasting.
    Always remember what Christ taught us in The Parable of the Sower, therefore, it is up to us to sow the seed where ever it may fall, and let God do the growing and harvesting as He teaches us in the Parable of the Wheat and the tares.
    John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Let us bring the Word to as many as we can, even if it may be what we perceive as "unconventional way."

What are the inaccuracies within the series that is causing such an uproar amongst believers?

Quote Originally Posted by titanxt View Post
    What are the inaccuracies within the series that is causing such an uproar amongst believers?
    You can get many hits by asking that on google and youtube. Too many to list/paste here. I watched/read a few and feel good about standing by my post #4 above. I think the short of it is that the adlibbing isn't what/who some think the real Jesus is. To the point of seeming unbiblical and People don't like their Bibles added to, taken away from, or changed (maybe Proverbs 30:6 is in play here?). You will also find many things about the set, the characters, the producer, the Morman church, etc.. that may be inconsequential to you or not.
    Last edited by GPtimes2; 02-18-2024 at 05:07 AM.

Full disclosure - I have spent quite a bit of time reading and listening to what the world has proclaimed about "The Chosen". With that being said, Google and Youtube are rife with the opinions of the worldly and not strictly those who truly follow Christ. I asked the question above because I am more interested in the opinions of those who frequent this forum - in the hope that I am speaking to a larger percentage of true believers. I also asked the above question with a strong suspicion of the answer I would receive. Having watched every episode with my unbiblical radar on full alert, I can say that I have no real issues with the series from a biblical standpoint - and this is coming from someone who loves to engage in debates centering on how unbiblical many Christian denominations, from the Catholic Church to the to the charismatics and all in between, have become. Is the criticism of "The Chosen" series and the "Jesus Gets Us" movement (and any number of other similar productions) born of solid biblical theology or from the one who hates the name of Jesus the most?

Having watched the series, there are many scenes where the Word of God is being quoted - Jesus' private conversation with Nicodemus, Jesus feeing the multitude, the sermon on the mount, etc. In between those biblical accounts is a storyline developing the characters and illustrating the humanity of Jesus. Is the scene where Jesus rethinks the direction of the sermon He will give (the Sermon on the Mount) by adding dialog where He changes the focus of the sermon, in the Bible? Of course not. Is it therefore unbiblical and "adding to the Word of God?" Absolutely not. Is it a bit of creative wiggle room in the writing, sure. Is God changing his mind unbiblical - again, absolutely not. Is it therefore moot? I believe it is. If there was a scene depicting Jesus quoting made-up scripture that is contrary to the Word of God, then I would side with the notion that the writers are adding to the Word of God - but that has yet to occur. The takeaway from GPtimes2's response above is "some think" the "adlibbing isn't what/who the real Jesus is."

If "The Chosen" speaks the Word of God and depicts Jesus as kind, forgiving, loving, understanding, patient and human, would Satan do all he could to suppress the viewing of the series? Would Satan want believers to admonish others who might watch the series and dismiss it as being unbiblical or a false teaching, when those taking that opinion have never seen the series? Are those in opposition to the series forming their opinions from the Word of God or from others who may or may not have based their opinions from the Word of God, or possibly brought about by the deception of the enemy?

In closing, I would like to see how the Mormon producers, the homosexual crew members, the atheists workers, set designers, costume makers, etc., have had any affect on the final product. If we were to apply that rule of no one touching a production that is not a true believer in Christ, we would have nothing - no podcasts, no videos, no publications...
    Last edited by titanxt; 02-18-2024 at 12:58 PM.

Full disclosure - I have spent quite a bit of time reading and listening to what the world has proclaimed about "The Chosen". With that being said, Google and Youtube are rife with the opinions of the worldly and not strictly those who truly follow Christ. I asked the question above because I am more interested in the opinions of those who frequent this forum - in the hope that I am speaking to a larger percentage of true believers. I also asked the above question with a strong suspicion of the answer I would receive. Having watched every episode with my unbiblical radar on full alert, I can say that I have no real issues with the series from a biblical standpoint - and this is coming from someone who loves to engage in debates centering on how unbiblical many Christian denominations, from the Catholic Church to the to the charismatics and all in between, have become. Is the criticism of "The Chosen" series and the "Jesus Gets Us" movement (and any number of other similar productions) born of solid biblical theology or from the one who hates the name of Jesus the most?

Having watched the series, there are many scenes where the Word of God is being quoted - Jesus' private conversation with Nicodemus, Jesus feeing the multitude, the sermon on the mount, etc. In between those biblical accounts is a storyline developing the characters and illustrating the humanity of Jesus. Is the scene where Jesus rethinks the direction of the sermon He will give (the Sermon on the Mount) by adding dialog where He changes the focus of the sermon, in the Bible? Of course not. Is it therefore unbiblical and "adding to the Word of God?" Absolutely not. Is it a bit of creative wiggle room in the writing, sure. Is God changing his mind unbiblical - again, absolutely not. Is it therefore moot? I believe it is. If there was a scene depicting Jesus quoting made-up scripture that is contrary to the Word of God, then I would side with the notion that the writers are adding to the Word of God - but that has yet to occur. The takeaway from GPtimes2's response above is "some think" the "adlibbing isn't what/who the real Jesus is."

If "The Chosen" speaks the Word of God and depicts Jesus as kind, forgiving, loving, understanding, patient and human, would Satan do all he could to suppress the viewing of the series? Would Satan want believers to admonish others who might watch the series and dismiss it as being unbiblical or a false teaching, when those taking that opinion have never seen the series? Are those in opposition to the series forming their opinions from the Word of God or from others who may or may not have based their opinions from the Word of God, or possibly brought about by the deception of the enemy?

In closing, I would like to see how the Mormon producers, the homosexual crew members, the atheists workers, set designers, costume makers, etc., have had any affect on the final product. If we were to apply that rule of no one touching a production that is not a true believer in Christ, we would have nothing - no podcasts, no videos, no publications...
    A person can find enough about it (from reputable Christians) without the need to watch it themselves. Then apply the word of God to that evidence. Your own words, "by adding dialog where he changes the focus" is enough for me to discard the entire series. The Bible says, don't add, take away, or change. That means not even a little. You can say the show doesn't, but it is easy to see that it does.
    I have to feel a little offended since you referenced me and seem to say that those who are against it are listening or actin for satan. I assure you that I listen to the Holy Spirit and read the Bible. Satan will be happy with little errors, and God will not. Should I say that those who like it are not listening to God? Of course not. I know everyone here Loves and serves Christ.

GPtimes2, I apologize! By no means at all was I implying you are listening to, or acting for Satan. My argument is that in these times when the internet is saturated with unfounded criticism against a program that has taken little, if any discernable liberties with the Word of God, why the uproar from the choir? Does the good illustrated in the series outweigh the speculated bad? Who hates the Word of God and who hates the name of Jesus - Satan. I will let the viewer decide, preferably after they watch the series and have grounded argument for their judgement, good or bad, of the series.

As far as my clumsy comments about about adding dialog, you might have overlooked my point. The point is it is dialog, conversation - not theology, nor being presented as the Word of God. In a movie/series you have to have dialog in the transitions, for this series it comes between the healing of the bleeding woman, the feeding of the masses, Jesus addressing the Pharisees, etc. It would be unwatchable if it were not for the liberties taken in the writing of those transitions. Again, those transitions were not laden with unbiblical, false teachings that contradict the Word of God. Please spend four minutes watching a bit of the series where Jesus is speaking to Matthew about what he [Matthew] thinks about the sermon Jesus is preparing. I should have been more accurate in saying that Jesus (in the clip below) is searching for exactly what he is going to teach in the sermon and allows Matthew to have some input. Is their word-for-word conversation straight out of the Book of Matthew, no. However, did it demonstrate Jesus teaching Matthew and also having consideration for Matthew's opinion, yes. Again, is that straight from the Bible, verbatim? No. Is being kind, compassionate, and considerate characteristics we see Jesus possessing from the Bible? Most definitely.

If the series is not for you, that is fine, but how much effort is going into mislabeling and degrading a series that has great potential for sharing the Word of God and adding some imagery to the Word. God calls us to be wise and show discernment, but that requires contextual knowledge of the Word of God and not relying on the unknown motives of unknown people on the internet.
    Last edited by titanxt; 02-18-2024 at 03:57 PM.

12. Member
    [QUOTE=GPtimes2;13379778]A person can find enough about it (from reputable Christians) without the need to watch it themselves. Then apply the word of God to that evidence. ...............................................

From I I can reckon in your posting and the above, you have based your opinion on other peoples opinions, which may be potentially contaminated by whatever prejudice they may have against this series.
    How would YOU go about applying God's word and teaching to it if you have never seen it yourself?
    I have viewed some episodes on TV , and I can say that I found no fundamental faults against the Word or who Christ and His teachings are about.

[QUOTE=digthemup;13380403]
    A person can find enough about it (from reputable Christians) without the need to watch it themselves. Then apply the word of God to that evidence. ...............................................

From I I can reckon in your posting and the above, you have based your opinion on other peoples opinions, which may be potentially contaminated by whatever prejudice they may have against this series.
    How would YOU go about applying God's word and teaching to it if you have never seen it yourself?
    I have viewed some episodes on TV , and I can say that I found no fundamental faults against the Word or who Christ and His teachings are about.
    I am looking at evidence given by others, not opinions. Based on that evidence, I can use the Bible to come to my own conclusion. The evidence says they are making up storylines that are not in the Bible. To me, that's a form of false teaching and adding to what Jesus taught. As an example, looking at the video clip above, it is not what the Bible teaches. The Bible doesn't say that Jesus asked Mathew's opinion about his sermon or that Mathew took notes or was writing it all down. It belittles Jesus (evidence not opinion) and evidence says that Mathew didn't write it down till years later. It may not seem like a problem for many who watch it, but it tells the story different than the Bible (and historic evidence) and that's the problem I have with it.
    I am not going to keep going back and forth with this and will end by saying that it's not for me.

GPtimes2 - I respect your opinion and if it is not for you, it is not for you.

For others who might be wondering if they should watch the series, judge for yourself whether non-theological issues are enough to discount a series that has strengthened the faith of many believers - and undoubtedly has the potential to bring people to Christ - through the many, many biblically correct recitations of the Word of God. If we were to disregard every sermon, every podcast, every movie or series, written publications, every church with a picture of a caucasian Jesus with blue eyes, etc., because they errored in presenting non-theological issues, we would have to shun nearly all ancillary discussions, productions, and publications.

15. Member
    [QUOTE=GPtimes2;13380610]
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post

I am looking at evidence given by others, not opinions. Based on that evidence, I can use the Bible to come to my own conclusion. The evidence says they are making up storylines that are not in the Bible. To me, that's a form of false teaching and adding to what Jesus taught. As an example, looking at the video clip above, it is not what the Bible teaches. The Bible doesn't say that Jesus asked Mathew's opinion about his sermon or that Mathew took notes or was writing it all down. It belittles Jesus (evidence not opinion) and evidence says that Mathew didn't write it down till years later. It may not seem like a problem for many who watch it, but it tells the story different than the Bible (and historic evidence) and that's the problem I have with it.
    I am not going to keep going back and forth with this and will end by saying that it's not for me.
    Since I cannot watch the video for whatever reason, I cannot formulate my own opinion of it. Whether or not Jesus asked Matt for his opinion nor the possibility of him writing something down at the time Jesus spoke, though he was a tax collector writing down many details, no one truly will ever know, since John made it clear that if every detail of what Jesus did would to be written down it would take the entire world to contain it.
    That is what I have mentioned as adlib, which it doesn't change the actual teachings but there is minor details altered to accommodate what the director is illustrating.
    BTW, have you ever watched The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston? and would you say that it may not be in every identical detail Scriptures gives it to us?

[QUOTE=digthemup;13381360]

Since I cannot watch the video for whatever reason, I cannot formulate my own opinion of it. Whether or not Jesus asked Matt for his opinion nor the possibility of him writing something down at the time Jesus spoke, though he was a tax collector writing down many details, no one truly will ever know, since John made it clear that if every detail of what Jesus did would to be written down it would take the entire world to contain it.
    That is what I have mentioned as adlib, which it doesn't change the actual teachings but there is minor details altered to accommodate what the director is illustrating.
    BTW, have you ever watched The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston? and would you say that it may not be in every identical detail Scriptures gives it to us?
    I have seen The Ten Commandments A long time ago along with some other old and newer Christian movies. I doubt that any of them are 100% accurate. I don't watch them anymore. I am not completely intolerant, but sometimes I think we should be. With the current falling away from the true doctrine and Churches voting for ungodly things to be accepted, it seems more important. Evil things we are witnessing today are escalating and that has me pushing back (so to speak). I stopped watching a few shows because of the homosexuality in it. I will stop going to church when I can't go to one I can tolerate. The Bible say all scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, so I feel good about the Bible. If I researched and found faults with the translations, I would probably have try and learn the original languages and find what original text are still available and read those. The world is going to hell in handbasket and I don't like it. I would like the world to move in the other direction and be like Heaven. So I remind myself what the Bible says about not worrying, these things must take place, and that gives me peace about it all. But God is perfect in every way and we should strive to be Christlike even though we will not be in this life. When we are born again (Saved) we are on a path toward Heaven until we die. Sometimes we walk forward or run a ways. Sometimes we fall off the path to right or left. Sometimes we seem to walk backward on the path. If we die we go to the end of the path. We are seldom on the same place of our path as others are on theirs. This is just where I am on my path.

17. Member
    GP
    I reckon we can all agree that the things which have fallen away from the true teachings and Commandments given to us by God and Christ should be shunned by the faithful believers of Christ.
    All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching as it states in 2 Tim 3, and it is preceded by "12 Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it 15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus."
    After much thought, I don't reckon that any movie made about scripture was made with the intent of replacing it, but just to portrait it for the masses. I watched a documentary made by History channel they called the bible, which I could have found much to nitpick about it, yet, I pray that many did see it, since for some it may be the only exposure to the Word they may ever have and a way to plant the seed of Christ.
    May you have a very blessed week.
    Frank

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby Moser View Post
    My preacher(and lifelong friend) says "you may be the only Bible some people ever read."

Though there is no biblical support for this, I loved the following scene from The Passion of the Christ:

It seems to be insinuating that Jesus might have invented, or at least might have been the first to build, a modern kitchen table - and we all know that is not likely. The levity is a nice break from the rest of the incredibly heavy story.

20. Member
    Though there is no biblical support for this, I loved the following scene from The Passion of the Christ:

It seems to be insinuating that Jesus might have invented, or at least might have been the first to build, a modern kitchen table - and we all know that is not likely. The levity is a nice break from the rest of the incredibly heavy story.

I love that scene. And as an amateur woodworker it was great to see the joinery. :)

As for The Chosen, We have been watching it as a family and it has started many great conversations and many times we’ve opened our Bible to find what was accurately portrayed and what was “creative license” to advance the story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast