Ultrex Quest or Garmin Force?

Need new trolling motor and I’ve got all garmin graphs, but reviews I’m seeing say the Force doesn’t track well with your foot pedal being wireless. Also will be replacing a Fortrex, so any info about the mounting holes? Heard somewhere the Ultrex holes should match up. Guessing the Force is different. Curious what folks think about these two motors if you have them. I want one of the new brushless motors with spot lock, just not sure which to get at this point.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Here is a thread i have on the Garmin page as i was thinking about swapping over from the Ultrex. Now not much of a comparison thread but can give you some insight on the Force......no i have not made the jump at this point......

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1250161
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

My Force has been great so far. Starting season number two with it. Foot pedal works as expected.

4. Member
    I'm pondering a Force myself to replace my fortrex. Have Garmin electronics and the spotlock feature would be nice. Only problem is that I can't find the weight of the Force anywhere. There's a display of one at Cabelas here and it looks and feels alot heavier.

Here is the weight and some details for the Force. I have had one for several years and really like it. Especially the wireless pedal and remote. I have friends that have a Ultrex and Ghost. All good motors as I have used them all. I also have Garmin electronics.
    https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...C5C907E3F.html
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkus View Post
    I'm pondering a Force myself to replace my fortrex. Have Garmin electronics and the spotlock feature would be nice. Only problem is that I can't find the weight of the Force anywhere. There's a display of one at Cabelas here and it looks and feels alot heavier.
    It’s about 20# lighter than the Quest. I looked at both pretty hard and went with the Quest to replace my Ultrex. The Ultrex took a beating for over 6 years and never skipped a beat was the biggest reason I stayed with Minn Kota.

It’s a crap shoot with the Force. Garmin has replaced pretty much my entire TM and it still sucks. Others seem to have good luck but I’m not taking that chance on my New Phoenix. I went with the Quest.

As a reference I fished in my buddy’s boat with an Ultrex today and its was Soooo much better.

8. Member
    Hey they all have a chance of having problems ,I've used force since they came out and yes I've had a couple problems but ask me if I had trouble with my minnkota . I read this all the time and I realize there's probably more minnkotas out there but reading this trolling motor forum I see less about force than any of them and I see plenty of them out there

Quote Originally Posted by stinkus View Post

Weight (motor, mount, and cables) 50 in. model: 30 kg (66 lb.) 57 in. model: 31.75 kg (70 lb.)

I would go with whatever brand graphs that you currently own.

I have the Force and highly recommend it. I prefer the foot pedal feel of it over the Minn Kota’s. I’ve had zero issues with mine and can’t say enough good things about it.

I can’t compare it to the Quest, but I much prefer the Force to the Ultrex’s that I’ve used.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

11. Member
    I went from a Fortrex to the Force 2 years ago. Bolt holes lined up. I hard wired the pedal instead of using batteries and it has worked perfect. Haven't had any problems with the Force, its been a great motor.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post

Weight (motor, mount, and cables) 50 in. model: 30 kg (66 lb.) 57 in. model: 31.75 kg (70 lb.)
    Thank you. Obviously, I didn't look hard enough!

13. Member
    I installed a 57” FORCE on my 2014 Ranger 521C two weeks ago replacing the original MK Fortrex. Mounting holes are identical. Garmin measures their TM different than everyone else from the bottom of the head to the top of the motor. The 57” is perfect for my boat and is actually only 3.5” longer in the stowed position compared to the Fortrex. The Force actually fits better with the boat cover on than the Fortrex due to the smaller head. The power difference is unbelievable and is so quiet I have to see if I am moving.

First day of fishing all day long only used 23% of Ionic battery charge. I like how I can control Force with foot pedal, on either Garmin EchoMap graphs, and the hand held remote. I had no tracking issues that you mentioned.

I DID have trouble with Active Captain and updating the software on the Force after installation, BUT Eric at Tech support walked me right through it and he explained how to adjust settings for GPS Spotlock. The guy was a wealth of information!

My problem was trying to connect to the existing Garmin Echomap Wi-Fi, WRONG, the Force uses its own local network. Additionally, the TM, foot pedal, and hand remote ALL need software updates. The best advice I can give is call Tech Support before you try and update the software and let them walk you step by step through the process!

I am now 100% all Garmin with 2 Echomaps, LVS 34, and Force. I am extremely happy with the entire setup.
    Last edited by jpt7779; 02-16-2024 at 09:06 AM.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Happy to help you with either 1... KANDKKUSTOMZ.COM

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
    I would go with whatever brand graphs that you currently own.

I have the Force and highly recommend it. I prefer the foot pedal feel of it over the Minn Kota’s. I’ve had zero issues with mine and can’t say enough good things about it.

I can’t compare it to the Quest, but I much prefer the Force to the Ultrex’s that I’ve used.
    So I hear a lot about the responsiveness of the wireless pedal not being like the standard cable driven of the Minn Kota. I have my LVS34 on the shaft of the trolling motor. I dont want to be fighting it and having to hunt and not knowing how to far to move it to line up my ducer. Is there any of this in your experience?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katmandew View Post
    So I hear a lot about the responsiveness of the wireless pedal not being like the standard cable driven of the Minn Kota. I have my LVS34 on the shaft of the trolling motor. I dont want to be fighting it and having to hunt and not knowing how to far to move it to line up my ducer. Is there any of this in your experience?
    You are correct the responsiveness of the Force pedal IS different than the cable of the Fortrex, it is far better in every way. Less effort to make it move in the desired direction, which translates to less fatigue throughout the day.

There are two settings that greatly affect how the TM behaves, Anchor Gain and Navigation Gain. Per the guidance I received from Eric at Tech Support, 5 is the preset setting, if you want to tone it down a little simply lower it to 3-4, you want a faster response bump it up a little.

As mflora98ss said, I also prefer the Force pedal feel and responsiveness over my ancient Fortrex. I have LVS34 and have not been fighting it and have no issues putting it where I want. I suspect others may have had difficulty and did not know how to adjust some settings.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34