Thread: HDS Live vs PRO

HDS Live vs PRO

Possibly switching to Lowrance. What's the con of going with Lives vs the new PRO?

2. Member
    Live unit requires the S3100 module if you are interested in the 3N1HD transducer
    Pro unit will be plug and play with new HD transducer UNLESS you want the fish reveal option which then you have to have the S3100 module and correct FR transducer for that option

Live units do not have the latest side and down scan frequency’s which is 700 and 1200mhz unless you use the S3100 module
    Pro unit has those freq’s built in already

There is another feature in the pro unit where you can set it for a specific task for the yellow lead which is used as the turn on for any module connected like AT2, S3100, SS3D, Sonic hub, etc. The pro also has ping sync to eliminate interference on sonar use whether is side, down or AT2. There is also new views available on a pro unit which requires 2 complete AT2 kits which can get costly. If you were going to use a FFS setup (if you use an AT2) and not interested in the dual view option then you would be fine with just a live unit.

Everything else in the live and pro is still pretty much the same. I have lives and wanted the new HD transducer so I just got the S3100 module and added instead of upgrading to a pro. Depending on what you’re really looking to do it may be just fine to stick with a live unit and save some $$ for other stuff.

3. Member
    I am considering a 16Live. Just concerned with latest sonar/imaging frequencies, updates, etc. sounds like the s3100 takes care of that? With live unit I can split screen mapping and AT2?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amac88 View Post
    I am considering a 16Live. Just concerned with latest sonar/imaging frequencies, updates, etc. sounds like the s3100 takes care of that? With live unit I can split screen mapping and AT2?
    Yea the S3100 will help with having all the freq’s that the pros come with and it works great with the live. Yes you can do split screen with mapping and at2 and adjust each screen size as you like. With the 16 you can actually do up to a 6 pane split.

Split screen works great with any options that you setup like mapping, traditional sonar, down scan, side scan, etc but doesn’t do as expected with active target. If you are going to do a split screen with at2 you will not get a full display in its split meaning the at2 will not “fill” the box, it will have a black space above and below the image. You can zoom it in and it will help but it still will not make the at2 screen full just like a at2 single screen. It’s something with the AT ratio that does it so we’ve been told and there’s no fix for it. I went thru it years ago myself with a 16 live to avoid multiple graphs on the bow but gave in and use a live 12 just for at2. There are a lot of guys that have experienced the headache of trying AT on a split screen. It does the same whether it’s AT1 or AT2, doesn’t matter. You might be ok with the way it works but I think you need to see it yourself before going ahead and buying a 16 then not be happy with the way the AT2 split screen works on it.
    Last edited by Sleepy111; 02-14-2024 at 05:50 PM.

5. Member
    Does the s3100 do anything for the 3 in 1 that came with a Carbon or would a Carbon user need a new transducer as well?
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Does the s3100 do anything for the 3 in 1 that came with a Carbon or would a Carbon user need a new transducer as well?
    You will need the newer 3N1 HD transducer as well

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    You will need the newer 3N1 HD transducer as well
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

8. Member
    Thanks for clearing that up Sleepy.
    I use my 12 live with split screen and wondered about that.
    I have a button programmed for split screen with map.
    once I get to brushpile, I press the other program button for full AT screen.
    Thought I had a problem.
    Back to Live vs Pro

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofish2day View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up Sleepy.
    I use my 12 live with split screen and wondered about that.
    I have a button programmed for split screen with map.
    once I get to brushpile, I press the other program button for full AT screen.
    Thought I had a problem.
    Back to Live vs Pro

You’re welcome for the insight. The pro will do the same thing. It’s a screen aspect ratio thing that causes it to happen and there’s no fix. It’s really annoying. I used a live 16 for a while and was keeping it just for split with AT but when I saw this problem I sold it and went to a live 12 dedicated screen. When split 3 ways on a 16 using mapping, 2D and AT the AT split screen size is very close to a 3x5 or 4x6 image and that’s just insulting. There are a lot of us over the past few years that fussed about it and I’m just trying to help another avoid the headache of the unexpected issue.

10. Member
    HDS Pro vs Live Benefits:
    Faster Processor
    Live 270* Sonar w/ Twin AT2s in a single pane

ping sync ability to clear Halo rings from traditional Sonar while using Active Target or Multiple Transducers

Can run MHz frequency HD 3-N-1 transducer without a module/black box

More expansion for advanced Trolling Motor navigation in future SW releases

hard to beat not having a Pro or 2 in the network with a Live

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06x6spdGTO View Post
    HDS Pro vs Live Benefits:
    Can run MHz frequency HD 3-N-1 transducer without a module/black box
    This is 50% correct, yes the HD transducer will be plug and play on a Pro unit but for someone that is wanting the side scan fish reveal feature the S3100 module is still required along with the correct transducer even on a pro model. Adding the correct FR transducer and 3100 module to a live setup is the same and saves a little $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    Yea the S3100 will help with having all the freq’s that the pros come with and it works great with the live. Yes you can do split screen with mapping and at2 and adjust each screen size as you like. With the 16 you can actually do up to a 6 pane split.

Split screen works great with any options that you setup like mapping, traditional sonar, down scan, side scan, etc but doesn’t do as expected with active target. If you are going to do a split screen with at2 you will not get a full display in its split meaning the at2 will not “fill” the box, it will have a black space above and below the image. You can zoom it in and it will help but it still will not make the at2 screen full just like a at2 single screen. It’s something with the AT ratio that does it so we’ve been told and there’s no fix for it. I went thru it years ago myself with a 16 live to avoid multiple graphs on the bow but gave in and use a live 12 just for at2. There are a lot of guys that have experienced the headache of trying AT on a split screen. It does the same whether it’s AT1 or AT2, doesn’t matter. You might be ok with the way it works but I think you need to see it yourself before going ahead and buying a 16 then not be happy with the way the AT2 split screen works on it.
    I really don't understand why Garmin can make it work, but Lowrance can't :(. It is an annoying trait of AT2, along with the phantom "missing slice" issus that so many of us seem to be facing. Again something you never see or hear about from Garmin users. And the bottom "lean back" you get with powering the TM... Although I suspect that might happen with all of them maybe, depeding on the TM?

Anyway, back to Live vs Pro. I have 4 Lives and one Pro. Most of it has been covered already... the units are physically the same size, so mounts, covers, screen glass, etc fit either one. The Pro is required if you want to use any of the newer dual AT views, and of course HD/Mega Transducers (or use a 3100 instead). Pro has the ping sync which helps reduce crosstalk/interferance. Pro is current, Live is what 6 years old now I think? Anyway, bang for buck if you just want a head unit for mapping, 2D/SS/DS, singe AT, etc then the Live is a good bargain right now. But all the "new goodies" require the pro, and I suspect any future goodies like Orbit will require the pro as well.