South Toledo Bend Help

We are planning a trip to the Mill Creek area of South Toledo Bend on March 18-22. We will be in my little Tin so want to avoid main lake if possible.
    First time on that part of the lake and don’t have a clue for what to expect. We are numbers guys and 100% catch and release. Hope to get into some shallow fish.
    Any help is appreciated, seasonal patterns, lures, structure and safety.
    Thanks.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2. Member
    Go shallow with soft plastics and hold on. They will be spawning. If you like frog fishing throw it as far up in the bushes and grass as you can. I was in Housen two weeks ago and caught fish in a foot of water. Had 30 bites. Caught fish in the drains and up in the bushes.
    Brandon
    04 Ranger 520

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I'm certainly not a TB expert and have never fished as far south as Mill Creek, but my partner and I took 2nd in a Champion Owner's Tournament a few years back. We caught the bulk and better fish out of Six Mile and the arm just south of it. Lots of creeks and coves off those main arms. Best fish came out of the hay grass if there's any reestablished.

Thanks Guys I really appreciate the information. Glad to hear they will be shallow and I love to throw a frog.
    We normally go to LOP but wanted to try something different.
    A safety question: on Active Captain for my Garmin units, I am showing lane markers but I hear people talking about getting chips with lane markers. Is this something I need to do?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Thanks Guys I really appreciate the information. Glad to hear they will be shallow and I love to throw a frog.
    We normally go to LOP but wanted to try something different.
    A safety question: on Active Captain for my Garmin units, I am showing lane markers but I hear people talking about getting chips with lane markers. Is this something I need to do?
    You can purchase a chip from Boatlanes.com. It will overlay trails of the marked lanes as well as running lanes that are unmarked. I’ll be out there every weekend of March if you want to keep in touch. If you’re staying at mill creek you’re a short drive from the ramps in the big creek arms like six mile and housen.
    Brandon
    04 Ranger 520

Quote Originally Posted by Aggieranger05 View Post
    You can purchase a chip from Boatlanes.com. It will overlay trails of the marked lanes as well as running lanes that are unmarked. I’ll be out there every weekend of March if you want to keep in touch. If you’re staying at mill creek you’re a short drive from the ramps in the big creek arms like six mile and housen.
    Thanks, I will keep on touch as the time approaches.

7. Member
    Shallow with lizards, wacky worms, jerkbait....

I bought the Boat lanes and loaded them to my Console Garmin unit today. Thanks for that recommendation, I scrolled around and saw the trails. I have tried navigating the buoys on LOP and that was a disaster. After several trips, I have made and saved trails but there have been a few stump strikes in the process.
    I watched the Bassmaster Elite tournament over the weekend and saw that the mouth of Housen Creek played a big part. I am concerned that we will miss the spawn though since we won’t be there until Mar 18.

9. Member
    There will still be plenty of bass shallow when you arrive at Toledo Bend. The Six Mile and Housen areas are where I have fished since 1974 and always good in March. Just slow down and fish areas patiently. Fish creek shorelines, points at mouth of the creeks, the grass flats at mouth of Six Mile and Housen. You will catch fish,,,,

10. Member
    I bought the Boat lanes and loaded them to my Console Garmin unit today. Thanks for that recommendation, I scrolled around and saw the trails. I have tried navigating the buoys on LOP and that was a disaster. After several trips, I have made and saved trails but there have been a few stump strikes in the process.
    I watched the Bassmaster Elite tournament over the weekend and saw that the mouth of Housen Creek played a big part. I am concerned that we will miss the spawn though since we won’t be there until Mar 18.
    There’s so many fish that they don’t all spawn at the same time. There’s a big cove not far from our camp and I can usually catch bedding fish for 3 weeks straight. I was marshal for the elite tournament. My guys stayed in Six Mile and Housen. On Thursday my boater caught a 7-6 on a swim jig and pulled a few 3 pounders off beds. Saw some nice crappie on beds too.
    Brandon
    04 Ranger 520

11. Member
    Lance has a LOP lanes chip as well.

Seems like they are pulling hard on the lake.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Seems like they are pulling hard on the lake.
    It is dropping pretty fast. Both generators are running 24/7. I decided to take my son crappie fishing and we ended up catching more bass than crappie.
    Brandon
    04 Ranger 520

Quote Originally Posted by Aggieranger05 View Post
    It is dropping pretty fast. Both generators are running 24/7. I decided to take my son crappie fishing and we ended up catching more bass than crappie.
    I’m getting concerned about our timing. I wish we had scheduled for next week instead of the week after.
    Hope we don’t hit post spawn conditions.

Just wanted to thank you guys for all the help and advice, especially Brandon, he tried his best to put us on fish. The fishing was tough for us, couldn’t get anything to work shallow. I think the cold front shut them down. I had that experience in Florida where the whole lake shuts down in a cold front.
    I really appreciate the advice on the trails, could not have navigated without it.
    Thanks again, your help is much appreciated.