Unhappy Ultrex Quest issue

My son bought me a Quest Ultrex for Christmas. Started the changeout today and ran into a problem. When I installed the motor on the mount the bolt holes would not line up and the bolts would go in at an angle. Called Minn Kota and after some exchange of info and pictures and some discussion with the tech they determined that either the mount or the motor holes were not in the proper place. Now there's a new motor ordered (or should I say backordered)!!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

2. Member
    I had the exact same issue when installing mine. I cross threaded both bolts that hold the motor to the mount. I had to use a tap to clean the threads then carefully thread the bolts in. No issues since.
    2008 Tr 21X- 2018 250 Mercury Pro XS 4S
    2B595479

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    When you say "mount" is it a Minn Kota brand? I would think that it is more likely an issue with the mount rather than the motor... but I haven't seen the pictures.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    I had similar problems. Hard to manage the weight of the unit and get the bolt holes aligned properly. Appears to be a solid mount once everything is in place.

Quote Originally Posted by rockmike View Post
    I had similar problems. Hard to manage the weight of the unit and get the bolt holes aligned properly. Appears to be a solid mount once everything is in place.
    Took several attempts, as it is a tight fit.
    At first, I thought something was not right--- turned out to be operator/installer error.

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    When you say "mount" is it a Minn Kota brand? I would think that it is more likely an issue with the mount rather than the motor... but I haven't seen the pictures.
    Yes it's the Minn Kota mount, I asked if I could enlarge the holes without voiding the warranty but I never got a response. I have a tournament on the 24th and it doesn't look like I'll get a replacement before then.
    Last edited by dk239; 02-14-2024 at 12:39 PM.
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE

Quote Originally Posted by rockmike View Post
    Yea, I had the same thought but we tried to pull the motor out to help move the bracket but the holes wouldn't line up!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE

After Minn Kota told me the new motor was on back order I decided to give it another try, after some minor adjustments I got the bolts to line up and got the motor mounted. I called Minn Kota to let them know I didn't need the new motor and got that squared away. About 10 minutes later I got a call from MinnKota telling me that the new motor had already shipped out, seems the person I talked to on Tuesday didn't realize that they keep a few extra motors for warranty replacement. So they were going to send me a return label for the new motor that I won't need. Then 30 minutes later the same girl calls me back and said that she had called the shipping department and they had found the motor on the freight truck and pulled it! Got to love good customer service!!!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE

9. Member
    What does motor have to do with the alignment of the bolt holes?

10. Member
    This is what my sources tell me. I would tend to rely on this statement.

A little column A, a little column B. There are some that have excess paint between the steering housing castings and the bracket that bolts to it, the bracket that actually interfaces with the mount. So the holes in the steering housing casting will not perfectly align with the mount's holes, but the interfacing bracket is correctly aligned and some care in starting the screws will have them go in correctly. At least one that we replaced for not starting the screws correctly did not have the excess paint, and at least two that probably did have the excess paint had no troubles after replacing the mount, so a little extra care in aligning the mount made their installs fine.

So anyone not following the installation instructions can get the holes to misalign and cause a problem, anyone carefully following the installation instructions apparently can get the motor installed even if they have a part issue; I'm inclined to think failure to follow instructions is mostly at fault

11. Member
    Thanks for the good advice Brad. Maybe a few more will download the documentation and avoid “issues”. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    What does motor have to do with the alignment of the bolt holes?
    The motor bracket fits on the mount and there are two bolt holes that have to line up so you can install the bolts!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    This is what my sources tell me. I would tend to rely on this statement.

A little column A, a little column B. There are some that have excess paint between the steering housing castings and the bracket that bolts to it, the bracket that actually interfaces with the mount. So the holes in the steering housing casting will not perfectly align with the mount's holes, but the interfacing bracket is correctly aligned and some care in starting the screws will have them go in correctly. At least one that we replaced for not starting the screws correctly did not have the excess paint, and at least two that probably did have the excess paint had no troubles after replacing the mount, so a little extra care in aligning the mount made their installs fine.

So anyone not following the installation instructions can get the holes to misalign and cause a problem, anyone carefully following the installation instructions apparently can get the motor installed even if they have a part issue; I'm inclined to think failure to follow instructions is mostly at fault
    You may be correct but Minn Kota acknowledged that they have had some issues with the bracket and mount holes not lining up.
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE