Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Future of College Football

Court case heard in Greenville,TN this morning which will have a direct impact on the future of college football/sports. UT/VA vs NCAA. It evolves the NIL and how it is to be used in College athletics. They met this morning for a little over an hour. Information leaking from those in attendance was it appears UT/VA had a very good day.

But, it is the courts, so we shall see.

2. Member
    Interesting. Will have to follow

3. Member
    As I understand it the parties can meet to discuss “ value” but are prohibited from negotiating. N I L will probably get totally revamped.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    BIG 10/SEC are going to drop out of the NCAA and do their own thing anyways.

5. Member
    GO VOLS!

6. Member
    If the players unionize like Dartmouth and a couple other teams want to it's going to become a nightmarish mess. Sad.

100+ years of amazing regional rivalries that will stick with a lot of those kids for all of their lives gone just like that with all of the conference realignment.

Guess it's going to become a business. Hard to see how are fans supposed to root for their favorite college any more. Doesn't feel quite the same.

We've got another transfer portal window in April to look forward to though!

The whole NIL has gotten way out of hand like many people thought it would. I was talking to one of our assistant basketball coaches who is retired from coaching a very successful junior college program for many years. He is well connected and many of his former players now have kids who are starting to play college basketball. One of his former player's kids is going to college this year and he didn't even talk to the coaches during the recruiting process. He had an agent, the agent said it's a minimum $350,000 for us to even talk to you. The schools dealt with the agent and the agent told the kid where he was going to go. The kid was a legacy at SLU here in St. Louis because he dad played there, but the SLU coaches never even got a chance to talk to the kid to recruit him. The agent made all the decisions and set the kid up at a school in Florida.

8. Member
    Is it possible for players (football) to go straight to the NFL from High School? Seems like the NFL should have a minor league. Most of the so called Student Athletes are not truly Students. Do they have to pass any entrance exams to the University? It’s been a lie for a long time. All about the $$$

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    Interesting that this happened in conjunction with the court case

10. Member
    NCAA is coming after UT regarding it’s recruitment of a player 3 years ago when they “broke a rule” which only went into effect recently. It’s insane…..and that is what is coming out of court today. The NCAA has no control and has not established rules regarding NIL.

I think what you will see is divisions established with the top tier paying the most for the best talent and then it will go down from there. There is no way this can continue as is.

The NCAA rules prohibit schools from using NIL as a recruiting tool while thousands of athletes enter the portal every year seeking NIL deals.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuck Grass View Post
    Is it possible for players (football) to go straight to the NFL from High School? Seems like the NFL should have a minor league. Most of the so called Student Athletes are not truly Students. Do they have to pass any entrance exams to the University? It’s been a lie for a long time. All about the $$$
    No, you have to be out of high school for 3 years before you can enter the NFL draft. Maurice Clarett from Ohio State tried to challenge this requirement after his freshman season, but the NFL upheld it's rule that you have to be 3 years removed from high school in order to enter the draft.

With regards to the entrance exams, I've often wondered just how some of these guys get admitted to a college. But then I remember your last statement...it's all about the money. One way or another, they find a way to get the guy accepted into the school and eligible for the season.

13. Member
    I hate where college football is at today. I don’t care that players are getting paid, but the amounts and the variances, coupled with the transfer portal, have taken a lot away from a fan perspective. I miss being familiar with the roster and watching players develop.

If the NIL “deals” were required to be 2-3 years or 50% was contingent on finishing “career” at contracted school, it would help.

14. Member
    Just where does all of this NIL money come from? Do the schools pay some of it?

Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    This is a viable plan moving forward...the NCAA is a joke anyway.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    The whole NIL has gotten way out of hand like many people thought it would. I was talking to one of our assistant basketball coaches who is retired from coaching a very successful junior college program for many years. He is well connected and many of his former players now have kids who are starting to play college basketball. One of his former player's kids is going to college this year and he didn't even talk to the coaches during the recruiting process. He had an agent, the agent said it's a minimum $350,000 for us to even talk to you. The schools dealt with the agent and the agent told the kid where he was going to go. The kid was a legacy at SLU here in St. Louis because he dad played there, but the SLU coaches never even got a chance to talk to the kid to recruit him. The agent made all the decisions and set the kid up at a school in Florida.
    That is on the parents not the NIL. No way would I let an agent determine where my 18 year old child was going.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That is on the parents not the NIL. No way would I let an agent determine where my 18 year old child was going.
    You are correct. But, a lot of these athletes probably have very little if any Parental guidance. The Parents see the child as a cash cow and a way out of the hard life they as a family are in. Just my opinion.

18. Member
    A little off topic, but when was the last time you heard of a high-caliber recruit “not have the grades” to play at the school of their choice?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    A little off topic, but when was the last time you heard of a high-caliber recruit “not have the grades” to play at the school of their choice?
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Just where does all of this NIL money come from? Do the schools pay some of it?
    Most schools have created “collectives” which form the funding arm for the student. Schools are not supposed to be involved unless you come from a state that allows it (hence, one of the major legal issues facing the NCAA today). In Missouri, from what I understand, the head coach can negotiate with the prospect for the financial deal. Other states do not allow that. They have to be negotiated separately and AFTER they have made their choice of schools. This never happens now…..kids want to know the financials before they decide on to school. This is a major part of the court case today. This is why most schools are hoping UT wins this case because, if they don’t, other schools will be in the “cross hairs”. This has already been indicated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast