21XS Repower Question

Hey all, have a question about this repower. I’m going from a 250 PRO XS 2-stroke to a 4-stroke. I was spinning 5800-5850 RPM on a 26P Tempest+, Atlas Hydraulic plate. Top end was around 69-71 depending on the load. I know this isn’t a speed-daemon boat, but I’m not trying to lose anything either.

I’m at a loss as to what prop i should “start” with. As far as I know this setup (at least on the BBCForum) isn’t available to compare. The dealer is saying 23P Fury, friends are saying 24P Fury, Merc Prop selector is saying 23-24P Tempest or 24P Fury4. It seems all over the place.

I have a 25P Tempest I was going to use as a “starting point” just not sure if this is a smart idea. Don’t want to damage a brand new motor.

~Jake

2. Member
    Tempest for sure over a Fury, I would try a 23" pitch. That motor needs to turn 6000-6200 RPM. Your 25" pitch Tempest won't damage anything but I doubt you will turn enough RPMs with it.

3. Member
    I am in the same boat as you, repowering my 2009 20x3 with a 2024 250 PROXS. Currently have a 26 tempest and 26 trophy. Thinking I will need to drop to at least a 24, if not 23. My buddy has a 23 tempest I can test out, was thinking of trying a 24 tempest/fury as well if I can find one.

4. Member
    Here’s what I’ve found so far. The dealer SWORE I needed a 23P fury. It does good runs the boat well but it rides on the rev limiter. I had a 25P and 26P tempest and just for the sake of trying I threw them both on…neither runs worth a crap!

I have a 10” Atlas Hydraulic. The motor likes to run deeper than the 2-stroke.

25P tempest. Didn’t run worth a �� on my old motor, still doesn’t run…thinking of tying a rope to it so I have an anchor incase the trolling motor dies.

26P Trmpest. Was my best prop on the 2 stroke, runs good on this motor but can’t spin the RPMs.

I think I need a 24P Fury and try and see if that dials it in!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheYankee View Post
    Here’s what I’ve found so far. The dealer SWORE I needed a 23P fury. It does good runs the boat well but it rides on the rev limiter. I had a 25P and 26P tempest and just for the sake of trying I threw them both on…neither runs worth a crap!

I have a 10” Atlas Hydraulic. The motor likes to run deeper than the 2-stroke.

25P tempest. Didn’t run worth a �� on my old motor, still doesn’t run…thinking of tying a rope to it so I have an anchor incase the trolling motor dies.

26P Trmpest. Was my best prop on the 2 stroke, runs good on this motor but can’t spin the RPMs.

I think I need a 24P Fury and try and see if that dials it in!
    I may be interested in the 25" pitch Tempest if you want to sell it. Also what speed are you getting out of the 23 Fury? If you are hitting the rev limiter in cold weather with just you in it that's not a bad thing. It will drop a couple hundred RPMs in warm weather when loaded.
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 02-25-2024 at 10:10 AM.