top coating baits with swiveling hook hangers

I've been dipping my blanks with 2 coats of KBS as my top coat. Is there a way to do this when the bait has the swiveling hook hangers, or will I need to brush on 2-part epoxy to top coat them? Obviously you don't want to get the top coat in the swivel, but can you put something like heat shrink tubing over them before dipping?

Maybe try and brush some paste car wax on the swivel before dipping? I never tried it. Something thick to shield the swivel.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I have used the heat shrink on them. It keeps most of the finish out.

4. Member
    Just a quick update. I was mistaken about the bait having swiveling hook hangers. It has a swiveling line tie. I was going to try the heat shrink tubing, but I wasn't comfortable with having a lighter that close to the lure body in order to shrink the tubing, so I wound up brushing on 2-part epoxy and then used a piece of wire attached to the line tie and anchored to my lure turner to keep the line tie ring from touching the epoxy while turning. Kind of a pain, but it worked ok. I still must have gotten a tiny bit of epoxy in or around the swivel since it's not as free as it should be, but I'm hoping it will break free or loosen up over time.

5. Member
    Spray your clear and it will not be an issue. That is what I do. I have been using the KBS thinner and the same brush I use to paint. Follow the safety instructions for spraying KBS. It's nasty stuff for your lungs.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 02-19-2024 at 11:05 AM.

It’s also ultra flammable when sprayed through an airbrush. Atomized flammable product will explode. I’m not interested in sucking those fumes through my exhaust fan as it has brushes and Sparks

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    I spray basically outside with a fan at my back with a respirator on, or get a sealed fan for spraying. They make them. Yes I believe it is flammable. I just never liked the idea of dipping baits although many people do it. I like a very thin clear coat to make my baits dance the way they are supposed to. Started with Devvon epoxy and a turner. Terrible stuff.