Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Old school Texas rigged worm.

Floating a 7 inch black Berkley worm weightless is a killer pattern. Just watched a Todd Castledine podcast where he answers questions. In lieu of t-rigged he recommends a carolina rig to cover more water faster. I started using one again after swindle posted a video years ago with a Carolina rig using braid and a leader of floro.

2. Member
    Stiffer worm rod with a wacky rig.

3. Member
    I'm happy to read that you are trying to help him, admirable. You might try a floating worm rigged weedless and weightless. Trick worm is thin enough the hook set does not require a lot of force, and once hooked they usually stay buttoned up.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

4. Member
    My buddy on here went through a similar things with his dad. He had a wacky rigged senko and keitech for his dad all the time and he would have real good days sitting in the back of the boat with those two lures. He gave
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    The whacky rigged senko is the way to go. Have your best 3 colors to use and go with the best one. Best of luck to y'all ......I hope he catches his PB!

5. Member
    Mann's Baby minus 1. Swap the hooks on it to some #4 short shank hooks. Probably will not even have a need to set the hook. It runs very shallow (0-1 foot), so it might be able to run above the vegetation.

And that is very kind of you to make the effort for him. Best of luck!

6. Member
    How about just using live bait? Ive used minnows on guided trips in Florida, the bass just annihilate it. I know the urge is to keep it traditional lures fishing, but live bait might at least get the fish to really eat it and help with getting a hook in. Also might want to consider rigging something that holds the rod, creates a way for him to manipulate it with some leverage without him having to do the whole hookset with his own physical ability. Something to assist.

I know with some debilitating muscle atrophying illnesses, major motor skills are maintained longer, so maybe setting up a rod somehow so that he can twist his full body to set a hook without having to really be able to hang onto the rod could be of use.

7. Member
    Set the hook for him and then give rod to him to fight the fish in?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Live bait with a circle hook
    This is my thought also, will catch the biggest also.

If you want HIM to enjoy time on the water catching fish, you may need to change your fishing/style to match what will work for him.
    As mentioned, live bait on a bobber still fishing will yield him bites without having to constantly cast. That means you likely won't be able to run & gun casting if you typically do that.

Also get him a longer rod - 8' or longer - his typical rod lift when the bobber goes down will yield a lot more hook setting potential with the longer rod.

10. Member
    Lots of great comments here so I dont have much to add other than to say it is great your getting him out fishing....
    If it was Michigan I would try trolling for Multi species...Not sure how it would work down south....I guess I had one thing to add....
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

11. Member
    Drop shot setup with a 6" Roboworm rigged weedless on an Owner cover shot hook. When he gets a bite, all he has to do is reel. It's an almost 100% hookup ratio.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

Tiny Child Rig would probably be a good choice.
    Swim Jig with a long weed guard (lets it fold down easier, not as snag resistant)
    Circle hook wacky rig
    Fish deeper water with less weeds and go with treble hook baits
    Spinnerbait on braid doesn't take much of a hookset
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

13. Member
    They use a ballon instead of a bobber when I see the shiner guys down in Florida. I've seen all ages down there in guide boats in Feb and March over the years. He may have issues even getting a fish landed on Guntersville. As you know a one pound fish may be dragging ten pounds of grass as you swear you gotta hog LOL.

My wife's now deceased grand parents just loved fishing. I took them several times in the spring. They could not cast and basically dropped a line right over the side. I'd take them for little white or yellow bass and bream. Basically whatever would bite a wax worm dropped over the side. I used old Zebco's for them. I did not get to fish much between putting bait on and taking fish off, nor would I take any amount of money for the days I had them out listening to all kinds of tales.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whopperstopper View Post
    I'm happy to read that you are trying to help him, admirable. You might try a floating worm rigged weedless and weightless. Trick worm is thin enough the hook set does not require a lot of force, and once hooked they usually stay buttoned up.
    In April my buddy and I throw what we call a floating worm. Actually, it is not a floating worn but we rig a Zoom Trick worm Texposed with 18" leader tied to a swivel and a short length of thin solder wrapped around the swivel. The solder weighted swivel is the weight. Fished on a medium extra fast spinning rod such as a St Croix 6'8" MXF and the fish hook themselves. My buddy doesn't have Parkinsons, but his hands shake a lot. With that rig he will out catch me 3 to 1 because his worm is always shaking, and I can't shake it like he does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12