Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help, bait recommendation for a disability.

Maybe pissing in the wind. But maybe help me come up with something. My father in law health is slowly getting worst with Parkinson’s. He loves to go to lake Guntersville with me each year. Last year he got plenty of bites, but with the disease his delayed reaction and lack of strength couldn’t get hooked up.
    we fish isolated vegetation. I rigged up everything that I could think of. The frog
    is out question with lack of power to set the hook. I skin hooked a worm and swim bait but same result. His casting accuracy is also not good so spinnerbait or any treble is a struggle with always bringing in tons of vegetation.
    His best result is a whacky rigged senko for hookups. Is there anything else I can plan to rig for him to help hook up success.

thanks for any help!
    RANGER BOATS

Old school Texas rigged worm.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Old school Texas rigged worm.
    That is what I would have said but it sounds like the hookset can be a problem.

I would still go that route. Use braid and a thin wire hook with a needle style point.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

4. Member
    The whacky rigged senko is the way to go. Have your best 3 colors to use and go with the best one. Best of luck to y'all ......I hope he catches his PB!

Live bait with a circle hook

6. Member
    Maybe a small topwater popper? They usually hook themselves when they blow up on it. But that wacky rig is probably gonna be your best bet.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

7. Member
    Minnows or worms would put him on fish, never underestimate the minnow on a bobber.

8. Member
    Something like this might be good or a walking weight with a floating jighead and worm or minnow.
    https://kellysbassworms.com/

use a Maxscent General for the wacky rig

Fish seem to hang onto this bait longer giving him more time to set the hook
    "The handicapped angler"

Quote Originally Posted by Every View Post
    Minnows or worms would put him on fish, never underestimate the minnow on a bobber.
    Exactly. If the goal is to put him on fish then this is probably the best route.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

11. Member
    Minnow on a bobber

12. Member
    4inch Senko with #4 Yamamoto circle hook.
    Red Sox in 6!

ANY plastic and a circle hook - I've used small and large senkos as well as tubes and creatures with circle hooks large and small. They won't be as weedless as a texposed and if you do bury the circle into the plastic you lose hook up ratio. But it's a good compromise given his condition.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

15. Member
    Weightless Senco texas rigged.
    He's probably more than happy just to get out still. It isn't always about the catching. Good for you for taking the time to make him happy.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Parnell View Post
    Maybe pissing in the wind. But maybe help me come up with something. My father in law health is slowly getting worst with Parkinson’s. He loves to go to lake Guntersville with me each year. Last year he got plenty of bites, but with the disease his delayed reaction and lack of strength couldn’t get hooked up.
    we fish isolated vegetation. I rigged up everything that I could think of. The frog
    is out question with lack of power to set the hook. I skin hooked a worm and swim bait but same result. His casting accuracy is also not good so spinnerbait or any treble is a struggle with always bringing in tons of vegetation.
    His best result is a whacky rigged senko for hookups. Is there anything else I can plan to rig for him to help hook up success.

thanks for any help!
    he gets plenty of bites, but his hookup is not good, due to lack strength for penetration hook sets. We fish heavily vegetation, so no open hook can be used. Vegetation is floating and under the water, so weedless is necessary. I gonna try a lighter wire hook on his worm. He already using 7’3 rods with 8:_:_ reels with braid.
    we tried the popper last year, his accuracy is not there now and he can’t get a clean cast. And with his tremors is very hard for him to remove vegetation with an exposed hook.
    RANGER BOATS

17. Member
    Maybe just let him enjoy catching some bream using live red worms/crickets and a float/bobber as stated. Low to no pressure fishing as I enjoy doing just for fun. Also, crappie shouldn't be that hard for him to catch in a similar manner with minnows as someone mentioned. I hope all works out for him and he can enjoy his fishing and precious time on the water.

18. Member
    First choice. LIve minnow under bobber.
    Second. The wacky senko under a slip bobber. Works as maximum depth control and a perfect strike indicator. Also allows his senko to just hang there in the water and he can pull or twitch it. I've convinced a couple of high schoolers to use this method to put 5 in the box and then they can swing for the fence. It works.

I believe all that "hook set" stuff can be a bunch of crap. With a sharp hook, you can just keep winding the fish will generally stay on. I've caught and seen caught 1000 bass on a small crappie minnow and #6 gold snelled hook. I tell the kids that it's just a crappie, just wind it. We rarely ever loose a bass.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

You can do this with any soft plastic but works great on a fluke

You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

20. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    For when the surface vegetation might not be an issue, maybe a small Whopper Plopper for a topwater instead of a popper.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast