Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

23 or 24s better about boxes leaking

Does anyone know if skeeter is doing anything different on the new models? Just sold my zxr21 and having real hard aches staying with skeeter instead of a phoenix or cat.

Everyone still complaining about them, so I don't think anything has changed. I can't see myself buying another one, tbh.

3. Member
    My ‘21 leaked. I expected the possibility and looked for it on day one. Found it and fixed it. 100% dry now. New boats have bugs that need to be worked out, after that boats need to be maintained. Every manufacturer will have issues. At any given time, I can say “everything works” on any boat I’ve owned, but NONE ever came that way.

4. Member
    So far two times out in the rain and my 24 ZXR no leaking.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

5. Member
    What was the issue you corrected?

6. Member
    My 23 leaked, just got it back from a reseal at the dealer and haven't been in the rain yet so not sure if it is still leaking or not. The front and back deck both leaked on mine.

7. Member
    Fxr or zxr

8. Member
    I have an FXR, but I don’t think it matters, all recent Skeeters have the same deck substructure. I got a garden hose and let it run on my aluminum deck (lids open) looking to see if any water gets into any compartments. Sure enough, I had 3 loose screws by the port side rod locker (that was the only compartment that ended up getting wet). Tightened the screws and the leaking went away. My next step would have been to silicone the screws before tightening, but the leaks stopped just by tightening. Hasn’t re-leaked in 2 years, and I put a lot of time on St Clair and Lake Erie (VERY wet places). Now, if the leak would have been between the edge of the deck and the fiberglass gunnel, that would have been more serious. The factory seal is not right and that probably would entail removing the deck and resealing (at least Skeeter decks CAN be removed).

9. Member
    I have a '24 ZXR. No issues.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Everyone still complaining about them, so I don't think anything has changed. I can't see myself buying another one, tbh.
    Not everyone complaining. My 2022 ZX225 had one compartment leaking and tightening the latch arm screw solved it.

11. Member
    My 2022 ZX225 never leaked...fished and left out in the rain multiple times...no leaks at all

12. Member
    ZXR20

13. Member
    I am giving skeeter one more shot. I found a 23fxr20 left over at Marshal marine that I couldn't resist . Skeeter best bang for the buck. A phoenix 721 which is their less amenities boat was about the same. Plus I love the ride and layout of skeeter. Praying it is tight. Lol

14. Member
    I am giving skeeter one more shot. I found a 23fxr20 left over at Marshal marine that I couldn't resist . Skeeter best bang for the buck. A phoenix 721 which is their less amenities boat was about the same. Plus I love the ride and layout of skeeter. Praying it is tight. Lol

15. Member
    btown, Suggest to your dealer that he adjust the latch bars so they close the lids tightly as part of his pre-delivery inspection. I had to tighten all mine on my 2020 when I bought. I'm pretty tight with my dealer, complained a little. They added to their pre-delivery check list.

2020 ZX200 - no issue after tightening latch bars. I did check the deck screws with a T20. A few were loose, but no issue.

16. Member
    Thank you sir!

17. Member
    I have a 2023 ZXR 21, It leaked around the rod lockers. I bought it from Bucks Island I believe they are the best at understanding the reason they leak and can fix them. Daniel did mine and I believe it will be great, he showed me the reason it was leaking and what he did to fix it. Quality control issue at Skeeter but probably no more than other boats. I am happy with Bucks Island. Good luck on yours, they are not that hard to fix, tight lines to you.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tswilli View Post
    I have a 2023 ZXR 21, It leaked around the rod lockers. I bought it from Bucks Island I believe they are the best at understanding the reason they leak and can fix them. Daniel did mine and I believe it will be great, he showed me the reason it was leaking and what he did to fix it. Quality control issue at Skeeter but probably no more than other boats. I am happy with Bucks Island. Good luck on yours, they are not that hard to fix, tight lines to you.
    Why don't you fill the rest of us in on what was done?

19. Member
    They removed the aluminum deck and replaced ths sealing strips. They don't place correctly at the factory, if the screws are outside the sealing strips they will leak. That is what was wrong with mine. They also sealed the screws with silicone and did a few other things. The seal strips are the main problem I believe.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tswilli View Post
    They removed the aluminum deck and replaced ths sealing strips. They don't place correctly at the factory, if the screws are outside the sealing strips they will leak. That is what was wrong with mine. They also sealed the screws with silicone and did a few other things. The seal strips are the main problem I believe.
    Great info!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast