Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    Here's another shallow shad rap alternative - https://www.megabass.co.jp/site/prod...xi_furious_05/

It'll only dive 1.5 ft even on a burn. Between this and the IXI Type R, you can close the thread lol

Haha...badass little baits aren't they?

Going back out tomorrow with a few lures I didn't bring with last outing...of course this small window of warm days and SW winds along with stabilizing water levels could have the fish in a different feeding mood. Really it comes down to how many hundreds or thousands of baitfish we have to outcompete to get the bass' attention.

2. Member
    Berkley Flicker Shad shallow is an incredibly popular bait here in walleye country. There are a lot of color options available too.

3. Member
    I will not venture out from January through March without an SR5 tied on. Yes, I wish I could cast it better(considering spinning tackle) but those Megabass things are really expensive. I have converted several fisherman to these things.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

You could always go through the trouble to make them a suspending bait which keeps them in the strike zone longer. Trial and error (and a couple of ruined baits) got me to this point ...

Completed bait at rest in a container of water. Doesn't float anymore but doesn't completely sink either -
    IMG_3888.jpeg

Here's the innards. Notice there is a factory belly weight but not enough there to overcome the buoyancy. Through wire is a nice touch, nothing is going to pull the eyes out -
    IMG_3891.jpeg

Hole drilled vertically down through the top in line with the existing belly weight to allow a 3mm diameter piece of lead solder. The additional weight is about .5 gram. I applied epoxy in the hole prior to adding the solder. The solder wire is cut flush with the top of the bait and the area is covered with two part epoxy. You can color the wire prior to doing this if you wish -
    IMG_3930.jpegIMG_3890.jpeg

Factory hooks are size 8, I replaced them with size 6. The 6's add a tiny bit more weight and I prefer a slightly larger hook anyhow. This is optional, this is where you find "wiggle room" to get your desired buoyancy. The shanks are wrapped with .020" lead wire and the wraps are sealed with nail polish. The red highlight shows the position of the added internal weight -
    IMG_3889.jpeg
    Ranting incoherently

5. Member
    Yeppers Bill,

I have added soldering wire and larger hooks to cranks for many years...it's a simple and effective way to get baits to run deeper and slow down the rise/buoyancy rate.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    I will not venture out from January through March without an SR5 tied on. Yes, I wish I could cast it better(considering spinning tackle) but those Megabass things are really expensive. I have converted several fisherman to these things.
    For many of the best Shad Rap wielding cold water peeps, spinning is the way to go for best results and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    For many of the best Shad Rap wielding cold water peeps, spinning is the way to go for best results and performance.
    Nothing wrong with spinning gear, it has its place. For some inexplicable reason some people have an issue with it as if it's not manly enough or something
    Ranting incoherently

8. Member
    You might try the Shad Rap 05. Buy some suspendots. Usually two will make it stay down if retrieved slowly or start, wait, stop. You can add or subtract them easily.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rapala-Shad-L...-12&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Storm-DOT31-S...s%2C113&sr=8-3

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    You might try the Shad Rap 05. Buy some suspendots. Usually two will make it stay down if retrieved slowly or start, wait, stop. You can add or subtract them easily.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rapala-Shad-L...-12&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Storm-DOT31-S...s%2C113&sr=8-3
    Dang, I thought Storm suspend dots were no more...good to see they are still available.

10. Member
    Dang, I thought Storm suspend dots were no more...good to see they are still available.
    Yeah, but they ain't cheap. I still buy them.

I saw the Storm dots and strips both in stock at the Cabela's store in Delaware last month. Another member here recommends tennis racket lead tape.
    Ranting incoherently

12. Member
    FWIW fellas...went out yesterday and caught my biggest largemouth of the year at just under 3.5 lbs on a #3 Mepps XD in Fire Tiger on my custom Lamiglas XMG50 SJ 781 (extended to 6'9") paired with a current Gen Shimano Twin Power 2000SHG/8lb Sunline Xplasma Asegai braid+12lb fluoro leader.

My fishing buddy and I thought I hooked into a nice hybrid for a bit as this bass ran a good 10-12 yards and stayed down and just shook her head
    ...it literally took me a few minutes to play and land her, which was a blast!

Yo Zuri L Minnow. Countdown type slow sinking , two sizes < 2” available
    http://www.yo-zuri.com/products/archives/45
    Ranting incoherently

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Yo Zuri L Minnow. Countdown type slow sinking , two sizes < 2” available
    http://www.yo-zuri.com/products/archives/45
    Nice! The fella in the link pic with the nice brown using the Shimano Corsair, was definitely trolling and not casting that little bait. Lol.

15. Member
    Still Rapalas but I fish the size 7 jointed minnow and the little BX Brat in the same conditions I fish the little Shad Rap. Rebel Wee Craw too if around rocks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12