Switching from Mercury 2 Stroke Racing Oil to Premium Plus

With Racing Oil being sooooo expensive, thinking about switching to Premium Plus, have run Racing Oil from day 1 in June of 2016, 300XS Racing

2. Member
    No Problem. Run the PP

3. Member
    But I know they are not compatible, do I have to clean the system out or just drain what I can out?

4. Member
    recommend cleaning system , thoroughly
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Pennzoil XLF or Premium plus works fine.

6. Member
    Asking out of curiosity, what makes the Mercury racing version not compatible with the others with both meeting the TCW3?

7. Member
    Mercury and Don Weed told me they do not mix, something with the additives

8. Member
    ^^^^^ correct
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Dump out and clean out the remote tank, as well as the pickup screen. Refill with Premium Plus.

Probably a good idea to replace the inline filter inside the cowling as well. We were told not to worry much about the onboard oil tank as it turns over fairly fast.

You're right... that stuff is expensive, but definitely one of the best I've seen.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    And it's hard to get, wasn't too bad before covid, thanks Don, knowing me, I'll clean out both when I'm almost out of Racing Oil, any advice on what to clean out the tanks and stuff with? Thanks

11. Member
    I don't have any problem getting it, cost is kinda high, but after looking at internals that run it, I will still pay until a R is on mine
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

12. Member
    Denatured alcohol is what i use
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would be a good choice

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Is the Lucas Racing Oil a good alternative?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    Is the Lucas Racing Oil a good alternative?
    My opinion means nothing, Lucas makes great products I use them in my world of responsibility, but not in my Mercury.

What I think people miss and I could be wrong... The most knowledgeable people here like Don represent Mercury or other marine manufacturers and will only give recommendations consistent with what their company will support and stand behind. I'm certain with Don's experience, he has a wealth knowledge/ tricks of the trade from experience. Supporting or acknowledging those types of things on a public forum would be a poor decision and representation of Mercury. His professionalism prevents him from posting a direct unfiltered response that may strike people as abrasive.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "Most" of the time, anyway.

But if you see me say there's "some things I just can't fix"... you can bet it's not a Mercury.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    And it's hard to get, wasn't too bad before covid, thanks Don, knowing me, I'll clean out both when I'm almost out of Racing Oil, any advice on what to clean out the tanks and stuff with? Thanks
    I believe I have a several cases of the race oil on the shelf if you need it?
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

18. Kllr bee
    I had a 2010 300XS. Ran it 13 years with nothing but Premium Plus per Mercury specs. Never turned a wrench on powerhead. Also most people on here know I will not hesitate to push one to the limits. I changed to 300R so don't need to mix anymore.
    Richard aka Kllr Bee

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    I believe I have a several cases of the race oil on the shelf if you need it?
    Tim, please send me a message what you want for it, thanks Todd 501-425-0329