187 with 2 talons

Thinking of putting 2 - 8 foot gen 2 talons on my 2001 187 w/ merc 150 xr6. Any comments about loss of performance.

running a 23 tempest now would a trophy be needed.

2. Member
    Responded to your post in the pic thread as well.

I haven't noticed any difference in performance. I did, however, add lithium batteries for the t-motor and electronics. The weight savings pretty much offset the weight of the poles, plus gave me room to mount the pumps in the same box. I believe the talons weigh a bit more so that is something to consider as well. Also, I'm being pushed by a 175 EFI with 23 Tempest.

3. Member
    I would think there’d be some serious potential for dragging while running. Most Champs sit real low in the back, as mentioned, lithium’s would lighten the rear.

4. Member
    I just picked up a 202 elite and the previous owner had talons on it that he moved to his new boat. I was quizzing him about them and he said they were pretty heavy and the boat didn't like them. He recommended that I look at powerpoles or something lighter if I was going to go that route.
    2011 202 Elite - 225 Pro XS

5. Member
    Raptors are light.

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies.

7. Member
    I put the talons on yesterday and took it to the lake today, I was pleasantly surprised. I did adjust the angles of the mounting brackets so the main arms were parallel to the transom. The hole shot was a bit slow but it came with normal dead level rise. Top end has a hair over 60. I’ll need to play with Jack plate and reposition the mounting brackets.

8. Member
    Update Fished a tourney last weekend, partner weighs 220 +, full gas tank, full live well, hole shot was piss poor and topend fell to 53.
    Off to the drawing board.

9. Member
    My partner's old 187 with a 150 Yamaha had one Talon; we'd only get 57ish on tourney day, but never lost any hole shot and would still trim up on pad. With your load, you might be right in the ballpark?