New BPS Carbonlite Reels

I work PT at Bass Pro and we just received the first of the new "Black" Carbonlite baitcasting reels. We expected it to be just a black version of the current white model, but we were pleasantly surprised to see a whole new reel that is sleeker and lighter than the white one. It resembles a Curado 150 and is really nice. It comes in 6.8:1 and 8.3:1 and will sell for $129. I don't always like the changes they make to products, but it looks like they hit a home run with this one.

2. Member
    Do you know if they are still made by Doyo? Nothing against it just curious with the similarities to shimano
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    I don't know yet but will try to find out.

4. Member
    Are you noticing any significant difference in the carbonlite 2.0 white rods and the carbonlite technique specific rods?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zred View Post
    Are you noticing any significant difference in the carbonlite 2.0 white rods and the carbonlite technique specific rods?
    That's a tough question because the new black rods length & actions don't match up directly to many of the white ones. The new ones look great and feel good, but no one has used them so there is no feedback. I think they will sell, but we don't have any models for some of the most popular techniques. For example, we have a "Dragging" model for Carolina-rig fishing, but nothing designated as a "Worm/Jig" rod. We have a "Bladed-Jig" rod, but nothing labeled as a "Spinnerbait" rod. We have a "SquareBill" rod, but nothing called a "Crankbait" rod. In some cases, I think these designations may be too narrow for a rod that could do more than one thing.

6. Member
    As a follow-up to my last post, the new "Black" Carbonlites are labeled as "Made In Korea" so I believe they are Doyo products.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    As a follow-up to my last post, the new "Black" Carbonlites are labeled as "Made In Korea" so I believe they are Doyo products.
    Thanks for the follow up
    1995 Ranger 481v

8. Member
    Silly question, is it good or bad if they are doyo products?

9. Member
    depends on your opinion of Doyo. Shimano reels tend to hold up longer. Kind of like a Toyota vs Chevy debate.

Speaking from my own personal experience, i am weary of Doyo products. While I’ll never buy another Lews reel, I really like the Abu Gen2 Revo SX that I have which outperforms my Curado E series. But I am very cautious about the newer gen models. For the price, BPS reels are very hard to beat even within the Doyo lineup.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 03-03-2024 at 09:15 AM.
    1995 Ranger 481v

10. Member
    The older generation Doyo reels were very good. The Revo Gen1 used them back in the day to essentially relaunch the brand back into the market. Those Gen1 and Gen2 reels are still some of the best workhorses on the market. I own S, STX, Inshore, SC, and they are all 15+ years old.