Uiltrex on ranger Z520 trying to run at2 active target

As most of you know, on a ranger (and maybe more but I am not aware) the ultrex trolling motor shaft doesn’t hangs straight down. Probably about 5 degrees of so of negative angle. I am sure that has been discussed a few times on here. My issue is when I engage the trolling motor, the shaft moves forward, bringing the shaft to more of a straight down angle if that makes sense. It is this movement in the shaft when I am using the trolling motor compared to not using the trolling motor. This additional forward translation in the shaft really messes with my at2 ability to track bottom. The bottom depth on my screen changes considerably even though the real bottom of the lake hasn’t changed. So I have two main questions. Is this shaft shift forward and back by the engaging of the trolling motor something you all have seen and dealt with effectively? Is this a flaw in the ultrex 112v 48” shaft as compared to other manufactures? How do I get the shaft to be more stable when engaging the trolling motor? The second question is the downward angle at rest. How have you all effectively dealt with this? Thanks

2. Member
    When deployed did you try to move it by hand? Even if it is not completely deployed grab the shaft and rock back and forth. Observe what is moving beside you pulling and pushing on the shaft. Check to see if the sides, left or right of the upper arm has any scratch marks. ?Things to check, the allen screw that holds the troll motor on the mount.It is next to when the pull rope goes into the mount.
    Remove the side plates on the mount and check the pivot bushings, and any thing to do with the pivot bracket where it connects to the mount base. If the allen screw id tight Something in that pivot area of the mount is either loose or broken.

3. Member
    Yes when deployed you can move it front to back in the sagittal plane (front to back) mostly but small amount in the frontal plane(side to side). I just had a certificated Minn Kota shop look at it and replaced some stuff in the pivot joint up by the head. It still moves front to back. Will a brand new ultrex (older model) not move at all?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    Yes when deployed you can move it front to back in the sagittal plane (front to back) mostly but small amount in the frontal plane(side to side). I just had a certificated Minn Kota shop look at it and replaced some stuff in the pivot joint up by the head. It still moves front to back. Will a brand new ultrex (older model) not move at all?
    A little side to side, less back to front.
    On the trailer how much back to front movement? It will have a very little movement no more than a 1/4"

5. Member
    Working on the same issue with the same boat but a power Pole Move TM. My initial conclusion is that I believe I need a 5 degree wedge from BFE or AMP to get the TM shaft plum for the AT2 transducer.

I am still researching it.