Pole on side of boat?

What is the pole sonar that I see on some boats with the handle? 🤷*♂️

2. Member
    People are setting up a Live Target transducer on the pole so they can use it for side imaging while driving the boat at idle speed. I do it with my Ultrex mounted Active target while idling. I just keep the Ultrex deployed while I am at idle speed. My units share an ethernet network so I can watch the Active target at the console as I drive.

Active Target/Livescope/MEGA LIVE typically on boats with electric steer motors like a Terrova. Used to point the transducer in different directions independent of the trolling motor.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    People are setting up a Live Target transducer on the pole so they can use it for side imaging while driving the boat at idle speed. I do it with my Ultrex mounted Active target while idling. I just keep the Ultrex deployed while I am at idle speed. My units share an ethernet network so I can watch the Active target at the console as I drive.
    This is what I do as well, just keep TM deployed and pointed dead ahead, and then you can sit at the helm and view AT/AT2 on a networked console unit. The advantage of haveing a pole hanging off at the console is you can move the transdcuer around quickly and easily, instead of "steering" it with the big motor. But then you also have to deal with a pole hanging off the side, cabling, what to do with it when running, etc. Depending on the TM, you could steer dead ahead with Big Motor and use remote to turn TM/FFS as an alternative as well.

Welcher has a video with his "side pole" setup on YT...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    This is what I do as well, just keep TM deployed and pointed dead ahead, and then you can sit at the helm and view AT/AT2 on a networked console unit. The advantage of haveing a pole hanging off at the console is you can move the transdcuer around quickly and easily, instead of "steering" it with the big motor. But then you also have to deal with a pole hanging off the side, cabling, what to do with it when running, etc. Depending on the TM, you could steer dead ahead with Big Motor and use remote to turn TM/FFS as an alternative as well.

Welcher has a video with his "side pole" setup on YT...
    You can steer the trolling motor with the remote, as you are setting at the console idling.....