Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kelly leaves UCLA for Ohio State.

Going from head coach to the offensive coordinator. I don't quite understand that move but I will say that the Buckeyes should be odds on favorite to win the National Championship this year.

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/2841514

2. Member
    Wow, that is strange if true.

3. Member
    That does seem like a strange move. But on the other hand, who knows what the dynamic was at UCLA? And who knows what his personal matters are and/or what his eventual aspirations might be? If he kicks butt at OSU in that role, might be a springboard to another job that he would like better than being at UCLA.

4. Member
    Maybe grooming him to be the next head coach for the thugeyes.

I don't get this one
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    OSU went scorched earth and bought a super team. That rarely works and will take a coaching masterpiece to keep everyone on board for the team and not for their own NFL aspirations. Many might make business decisions on the field.

But the collection of talent on the team is incredible.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    I don't get this one
    a little strange but UCLA is a pretty sucky program with a low ceiling, they are going to get worked in the Big Ten. Dude is already super rich, going to still get paid well and Ohio State is Ohio State.... Plus you don't have to deal with all the boosters, NIL, transfer portal stuff as OC......Sucks because OSU is going to be nasty next year.

8. Member
    Chip was clearly very unhappy with UCLA moving to the BIG 10 (he was constantly talking about how dumb the move was and coming up with alternative proposals). UCLA is already a football afterthought in the PAC, once they move to the BIG 10 its going to get even worse.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    OSU went scorched earth and bought a super team. That rarely works and will take a coaching masterpiece to keep everyone on board for the team and not for their own NFL aspirations. Many might make business decisions on the field.

But the collection of talent on the team is incredible.
    Texas A&M 2022/2023 for reference on how that works out
    2014 920/SHO

10. Member
    I watch a fair amount of Josh Pate's podcast and I remember him saying towards the end of last season that Chip Kelly was on the hot seat at UCLA and that his personality (he just really wants to coach, doesn't want to schmooze with the donors and such) didn't mesh well with the brass at UCLA. If that is true, it would make a lot of sense for him to come to Ohio State. He could spend the majority of his time coaching and Ryan Day can do the majority of the publicity and such and hopefully see a great deal of success because of bringing on Kelly as the OC. If it works out, it's a win-win for both coaches.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I watch a fair amount of Josh Pate's podcast and I remember him saying towards the end of last season that Chip Kelly was on the hot seat at UCLA and that his personality (he just really wants to coach, doesn't want to schmooze with the donors and such) didn't mesh well with the brass at UCLA. If that is true, it would make a lot of sense for him to come to Ohio State. He could spend the majority of his time coaching and Ryan Day can do the majority of the publicity and such and hopefully see a great deal of success because of bringing on Kelly as the OC. If it works out, it's a win-win for both coaches.
    Yup Kelly was on the hot seat this past year and based on the current team was probably gonna get fired next year. They had a horrible signing day and lost their defensive coordinator and a number of solid players in the portal. For Kelly it was a move for job security and probably tanked ucla for their 1st year in the Big10.

12. Member
    He must think that the current coach is going to get the ax soon.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

13. Member
    Hope they lose a lot.

14. Member
    I watched most of the UCLA games the last 5 years. Not a fan of Kelly. Team never had any defense until last year, and then they lose the DC to USC. Team played undisciplined for most of the years with lots of stupid penalties. He’s supposed to be an offensive genius, but really hasn’t done much since leaving Oregon. I think he’s been on cruise control. One problem is UCLA is a public school in California and they don’t get the financial support a lot of other schools get. A lot of competition for the fans sports money in SoCal. Just what I’ve seen.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    Going from head coach to the offensive coordinator. I don't quite understand that move but I will say that the Buckeyes should be odds on favorite to win the National Championship this year.

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/2841514
    Why?
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

16. Member
    LETS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Hope they lose a lot.
    Dave, I didn't see that coming.

I thought that maybe this year was the season that you would root for the Buckeyes.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    a little strange but UCLA is a pretty sucky program with a low ceiling, they are going to get worked in the Big Ten. Dude is already super rich, going to still get paid well and Ohio State is Ohio State.... Plus you don't have to deal with all the boosters, NIL, transfer portal stuff as OC......Sucks because OSU is going to be nasty next year.
    No way they’re nastier than 2021 that had 2 future NFL rookie of the year players on it.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    He must think that the current coach is going to get the ax soon.
    Lose 1 more time to UM with its 1st year coach and…
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    Why?
    Because of the players that they've gotten through the portal and their signing class. Look up the players that they picked up in the portal. Impressive to say the least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast