Moving to South Alabama

I am moving to the Foley/Gulf Shores area and was wondering about fishing around there. I have been a bass fisherman my whole life and mainly just bass and crappie fish. I have a 2022 Caymas CX20 Pro with a Mercury ProXS on it. Is there anywhere close to do any bass fishing? Or what other kind of species can I learn to fish for? What about taking my boat out in the brackish water. Any issues with that besides making sure to flush the motor and wash the boat after every use?

2. Member
    Brackish water is harder on your trailer than almost anything else. You will notice the saltwater boats are on aluminum trailers.

The closest/best bass fishing will be on the Mobile Delta. It is accessible from the Causeway along side the I-10 Bayway. Also accessible from Cliff's Landing and Live Oak landing. There are immense possibilities when the water is not high. The Upper Delta leads to the Mobile River and the Tombigbee and Alabama Rivers. Very good fishing when water levels are not flooded.
    The lower Delta is not effected as much by high water. There is a learning curve to navigating the various mud flats and sand bars on the Lower Delta.
    i recommend buying a Mobile Delta map from Bass Pro and studying it to see the vast amount of water available to fish.

David Middleton ( BassCat Lil Dave on BBC ) owns the Auto Parts to on Hwy 59 in Robertsdale and can help you. He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and always willing to share advice.

I live in West Mobile and am willing to show you around the rivers here Chris.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    Pride of the South Tournament Series has a great bass trail if you tournament fish.

The fishing is definitely different than where you’re from. Redfish Speckled Trout Flounder And Bass can be caught a consecutive casts. A lot of the small local rivers offer some great fishing too. Fish River and Magnolia River especially. When ya get in the area stop by my shop and have a cup of coffee and I’ll tell ya all I know. It won’t take long lol.

5. Member
    David, I probably need to add your last sentence to my post.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

6. Member
    Thank you everyone for the replies! I will be moving down on April1st so I will look you guys up! Just trying to find a place to store my boat when I bring it down now until I can get a house bought. My goodness boat storage is high down there!!

7. Member
    When I made the move from Oklahoma to Alabama, figuring out the fishing scene was on my mind because I’m big on fishing. The Foley/Gulf Shores area is great for getting into saltwater fishing like catching redfish and speckled trout, which was new to me but super exciting. For bass fishing, which I’m more used to, I found a few freshwater places not too far off, so it’s the best of both worlds. Just make sure to take care of your boat in brackish water – flushing the motor and cleaning the boat is a must. For the move itself, I went with Three Movers. They really helped me out, offering services that matched what I could afford, making the move a lot less stressful. They handled all my stuff with care, from furniture to fishing gear. I paid for their services around 2500 USD. For anyone moving, especially with a lot of things, checking out https://threemovers.com/moving-from-...ma-to-alabama/ could give you a good idea of what to expect, including costs and services.
    Last edited by chopshop07; 03-15-2024 at 01:02 PM.