Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adding Mega 360 to Lowrance - I think I've got it sorted out...

So, several threads over the past couple months, plus reading a bunch more - I think I've got this figured out. But figured I would review to be sure I'm not missing anything or have something mixed up.. :).

Will be a stand alone setup, as all my other electronics are Lowrance including a Ghost TM and AT2. I've decided on the Ultrex mount version, even though the Fortrex version will work on the Ghost. I feel the Ultrex version has more flexibility in mounting, especially with aftermarket mounts or in the event I change TM's later.

95% sure I am going with a Helix 12, but may move to the Solix with the rebates out now... still deciding. However, my plan was DI+ version. But do I need the transducer? Since Mega360 does not provide depth, one would need an additional transducer to display depth on the HB screen, ie the Mega DI+ transducer. But where I am confused, does adding M360 disable the Mega DI+, or would I will be able to use both still.

Will need the AS GPS HS so I can see/mark wayponts on the HB screen as I understand it. I hope heading sensors don't interfere with each other, as I also have the Ghost HS on the bow as well. Will have to do the compass/magnetics check to find a good spot for it hopefully.

Since going with the Ultrex version I'll need a different mount as well... leaning towards the BFE Ghost mount, or maybe one of the adapter plate style.

Can't think of anything else - am I missing anything? Uggh I hope I am not making a mistake. Adding a 2nd AT2 dedicated to scout mode seems like it would be soo much simpler (and less $$$) lol.

The MEGA 360 is a rotating Side Imaging transducer==has two Imaging piezos for left and right SI.
    The MEGA 360 connects to the SI circuit locations in the unit's transducer port.
    It replaces SI in SI+ models and adds SI in DI+ models.
    It does 360 or Side Imaging, but not at the same time--nothing else.
    To have Depth and Temp or Depth, Temp and Down Imaging requires the addition of another transducer.
    The MEGA 360 does not "disable" any function, the plug covers all of the transducer port so nothing else can be connected to that port directly.
    To connect a HW, or MDI+, or MSI+ transducer with the MEGA 360 requires a MEGA 360 Y cable since there is only one transducer port for 2D, DI, SI, Temp.

A Heading Sensor is a magnetic compass, two that are close enough will affect each other===they are magnets.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Using any FFS in scout/perspective/landscape mode to emulate what an M360 offers is garbage.

As far as your heading sensor question goes, if you put the Helix or Solix on the NMEA2K network (with you being all Lowrance currently I'm assuming you have one), you can use the Point 1 to get heading sensor and GPS.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Using any FFS in scout/perspective/landscape mode to emulate what an M360 offers is garbage.

As far as your heading sensor question goes, if you put the Helix or Solix on the NMEA2K network (with you being all Lowrance currently I'm assuming you have one), you can use the Point 1 to get heading sensor and GPS.
    If you use a Point1 for Heading with a Helix, the location of the Point1 may be an issue since you cannot subscribe to Heading separate from GPS.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you use a Point1 for Heading with a Helix, the location of the Point1 may be an issue since you cannot subscribe to Heading separate from GPS.
    Very true.

I've seen a lot of "Lowrance boats" rigged with two Point 1's - one on the nose and one near the splashwell. This is how my latest boat came rigged and even though 3 of the 4 Lowrances that came with the boat are no longer on the boat, I use the Point 1's for a 2 Helix and 2 Garmin units.

Interesting, OK Depth/Temp on 360 not absolutey necessary, as I will have it from the Lowrance units also. Seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth - in this case, anyway.

My Point One is at the rear of boat, near the SS3D Transducer, the typical install for a Lowrance Point 1, so yeah would basically be 20ft off from the Helix essentially.

So if I want to do mark/see waypoints on the 360 (again, not critical but would be nice) I can just add another Point 1 at the bow? And add it and the Helix into my existing NEMA network... Or should I still go with the AS GPS HS and just connect it directly to the Helix. Is there an advantage of one over the other? My Ghost HS is on far left on the deck, right under the ghost when stowed, actually, so I suspect I can mount a 2nd P1 or AS GPS HS on the right of the bow or on one one of those BBT brackets that slots into the bow mounts without much fuss.

Mabye I just start out with Helix/Solix DI+ 12 and the Ultrex Mega 360 - try that for a bit and see if I really need the waypoints on the screen. They are one the screen of the Ghost 360 which is nice, but I am fed up with the Ghost 360 - it has great images, but you can rarely use it - I would say I am in some sort of current 85% or more of the time I am on the water, which of course doesn't work well with the Ghost 360 :(:.

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Interesting, OK Depth/Temp on 360 not absolutey necessary, as I will have it from the Lowrance units also. Seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth - in this case, anyway.

My Point One is at the rear of boat, near the SS3D Transducer, the typical install for a Lowrance Point 1, so yeah would basically be 20ft off from the Helix essentially.

So if I want to do mark/see waypoints on the 360 (again, not critical but would be nice) I can just add another Point 1 at the bow? And add it and the Helix into my existing NEMA network... Or should I still go with the AS GPS HS and just connect it directly to the Helix. Is there an advantage of one over the other? My Ghost HS is on far left on the deck, right under the ghost when stowed, actually, so I suspect I can mount a 2nd P1 or AS GPS HS on the right of the bow or on one one of those BBT brackets that slots into the bow mounts without much fuss.

Mabye I just start out with Helix/Solix DI+ 12 and the Ultrex Mega 360 - try that for a bit and see if I really need the waypoints on the screen. They are one the screen of the Ghost 360 which is nice, but I am fed up with the Ghost 360 - it has great images, but you can rarely use it - I would say I am in some sort of current 85% or more of the time I am on the water, which of course doesn't work well with the Ghost 360 :(:.
    I personally don't mark waypoints on the M360 view but I do like to see them. Since you only have one Point 1 at the stern of your bug, my .02 is to install an AS GPS HS regardless of Helix or Solix. It will be easier to setup and it will probably be less expensive as you will need the Point 1, an NMEA2K drop cable, an NMEA2K tee and if it's a Helix an NMEA2K adapter.

I have a Point 1, an AS GPS HS and Ultrex Link at the bow of my boat and I don't get any interference when I select any of those as the GPS+Heading source on my bow Helix but you'll still have to find a good location on your bug.

I personally don't mark waypoints on the M360 view but I do like to see them. Since you only have one Point 1 at the stern of your bug, my .02 is to install an AS GPS HS regardless of Helix or Solix. It will be easier to setup and it will probably be less expensive as you will need the Point 1, an NMEA2K drop cable, an NMEA2K tee and if it's a Helix an NMEA2K adapter.

I have a Point 1, an AS GPS HS and Ultrex Link at the bow of my boat and I don't get any interference when I select any of those as the GPS+Heading source on my bow Helix but you'll still have to find a good location on your bug.
    Good info, thanks. I think it's coming together now, except the Helix or Solix decision lol. I think in my case, the Helix MDI+ G4N probably makes more sense since adding a single HU. If I was adding multiple HB's I would lean towards the Solix Series. (Actually, I really would like the higher screen res of the Apex, but that's just a bit out of my price range, and no rebates on Apex's apparently)

How are the HB Gimbals? Lowrance typically has "flimsier than I woud like" gimbals so its pretty much an automatic upgrade to BBT Gimbals for them.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing as the OP. I bought a H10 SI G4 and a 360. I run an Ultrex. I have ran Lowrance forever and am staying with it. I have an HDS 9T G3 and the bow along with the new G4 Helix. I'm wondering if I should mount the HS that came with the Ultrex at the bow, don't worry about it or get a HS from Humminbird for the bow.
    My Consol unit is also an HDS 9T. The two HDS units are connect via NEMA2000 and Ethernet. NEMA is connected to the engine as well.
    What does AS GPS mean?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

10. Member
    AS GPS is just a gps puck. Not a heading sensor. There is an AS-GPS-HS that is both, like the point 1
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Good info, thanks. I think it's coming together now, except the Helix or Solix decision lol. I think in my case, the Helix MDI+ G4N probably makes more sense since adding a single HU. If I was adding multiple HB's I would lean towards the Solix Series. (Actually, I really would like the higher screen res of the Apex, but that's just a bit out of my price range, and no rebates on Apex's apparently)

How are the HB Gimbals? Lowrance typically has "flimsier than I woud like" gimbals so its pretty much an automatic upgrade to BBT Gimbals for them.
    I haven't seen the Lowrance Gimbals but, in my opinion, the Humminbird Gimbals are very solid.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

12. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    I'm in the process of doing the same thing as the OP. I bought a H10 SI G4 and a 360. I run an Ultrex. I have ran Lowrance forever and am staying with it. I have an HDS 9T G3 and the bow along with the new G4 Helix. I'm wondering if I should mount the HS that came with the Ultrex at the bow, don't worry about it or get a HS from Humminbird for the bow.
    My Consol unit is also an HDS 9T. The two HDS units are connect via NEMA2000 and Ethernet. NEMA is connected to the engine as well.
    What does AS GPS mean?
    AS GPS HS is the product number of the HB GPS+Heading Sensor puck.

The HS that comes with the Ultrex is not a GPS as well and it's only required if you want to use the SpotLock jog feature. A HB control head can make use of the Ultrex HS puck and the internal Ultrex GPS only if its an iPilot Link model and networked with the HB control head. If it's not an iPilot Link model, then you need to use the AS GPS HS puck or use a Point 1 as described above if you want to mark and see waypoints on the M360 view.

AS GPS HS is the product number of the HB GPS+Heading Sensor puck.

The HS that comes with the Ultrex is not a GPS as well and it's only required if you want to use the SpotLock jog feature. A HB control head can make use of the Ultrex HS puck and the internal Ultrex GPS only if its an iPilot Link model and networked with the HB control head. If it's not an iPilot Link model, then you need to use the AS GPS HS puck or use a Point 1 as described above if you want to mark and see waypoints on the M360 view.
    Okay, so I should just connect my 360 to my existing NEMA which is connected to a Point 1 and then I can mark and see waypoints while using the 360 screen on the Helix. There won't be any issues with it even though my Lowrance units are connected to the NEMA ?
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    AS GPS is just a gps puck. Not a heading sensor. There is an AS-GPS-HS that is both, like the point 1
    It's AS GRP that is the GPS-only puck that replaced the AS GR-50.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Okay, so I should just connect my 360 to my existing NEMA which is connected to a Point 1 and then I can mark and see waypoints while using the 360 screen on the Helix. There won't be any issues with it even though my Lowrance units are connected to the NEMA ?
    It's the Helix that gets connected to the NMEA2K network, not the M360. The M360 is a transducer that connects to the Helix and M360 data is not available over the NMEA2K network.

The NMEA2K network doesn't care what's connected to it as long as whatever is connected to it "talks NMEA2K" and anything that can "talk NMEA2K" can be used by anything on the NMEA2K network. On my boat I have all three vendors plus my Yamaha SHO on the NMEA2K network. It's important to note that the ethernet networks for HB, Lowrance and Garmin are proprietary networks and they do not "talk NMEA2K".

If you have a Point 1 at the bow, it is an option for you and you will need to install an NMEA2K drop cable, an NMEA2K tee and get the AS QD NMEA 2000 adapter to connect the Helix to the NMEA2K network. If you don't have a Point 1 at the bow, then you will need install one up there in addition to the other stuff in order to get waypoint accuracy on your Helix.

The AS GPS HS puck connects directly to the Helix and is the easiest way to go but will cost you a couple hundred bucks.

Some quick online searching is showing me the HB AS GPS HS is the less costly option of the two - the P1 is more expensive than the AS GPS HS already, and then you still have to add a nema cable, tee, etc if you don't already have one. I'll probably just pick up the AS GPS HS for it's simpler install and lower price :). Plus I won't have two P1's listed in devices, trying to figure out which is which lol.

Thanks again for all the replies, they are very helpful. Going to order the Helix (or Solix ;) with the rebate going on now, and then search around for a good deal on the M360.

BoatBuggy, thanks so much for the great explanation. My P1 is in the back so if I end up feeling the HS is needed, I'll get the HB AS. For now, I'll see if I can get by getting close enough to my spots and then find it with the M360.
    shipped
    Correction, I decided to order from Amazon. $159.65
    Last edited by tdt91; 02-10-2024 at 08:45 PM.

BTW - in deciding between the Helix or Solix - the screen image will be the same, since they are the same resolution? I'm aware of the info panels that take up a small part across the top of the screen of the Solix, I'm talking more about the actual image quality... Some of the YT vids I've been looking seem somewhat pixelated, but don't know if that's a setup issue, head unit issue, or even a YT video format issue, etc...

eg here's a sample from my Ghost 360, a very nice image - but as mentioned, it's annoying to actually try to use it :(.

19. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Since you are still on the fence about Helix vs Solix, I'm going to provide my Helix vs Solix advantages detailed analysis (if you haven't already seen it). Coming from Lowrance, you may make some assumptions about the operation of each option which aren't correct.

So many people ask this question that I put together a detailed list of Solix/Apex and Helix advantages. I then received input from several Helix and Solix/Apex users on the BassBoatCentral Humminbird Sonar/GPS forum to help refine it.

Solix & Apex Advantages:
    1) Touch Screen as well as button/dial/joystick operation. You can access virtually anything either way... Your choice.
    2) Ability to share map cards among networked Solix and Apex units. No need to buy a Lakemaster or Navionics card for each unit.
    3) Ability to separately define GPS and Heading if you have a Heading Puck or Link Heading Sensor. On Helix, these are defined together so you couldn't get GPS from one device (including the internal GPS of any unit) and Heading from the Puck or Link Heading Sensor.
    4) Better Nav Data structure with the ability to import/export Waypoints and Tracks via GPX files which is better than the Helix Matrix folder structure.
    5) Nav Data is totally shared and saved locally on each networked unit rather than just "seeing" the data on each of the Helix networked units. Helix users have lost Waypoints due to not understanding this nuance.
    6) Ability to scroll backwards through 2D, SI, and DI history and even mark waypoints on areas that had already disappeared from the screen.
    7) No dongle required for Ethernet cables.
    8 ) Ability to define custom views with 1, 2, 3, or 4 sections... put things where you want them rather than having to live with the few combo views Humminbird provides on the Helix. For example, on the Solix you can set up a side by side custom view with Mega Live and Mega 360 where the Helix does not support this view.
    9) Ability to individually turn on/off 2D, DI, SI, Mega Live, and Mega 360 sonar pinging rather than all or nothing on Helix. This can be helpful when trying to resolve sonar crosstalk issues with Mega Live or Mega 360.
    10) Can easily make a partial screen view go to full screen with a simple touch of that section with 2 fingers then easily return to the previous multi image screen with another 2 finger touch on the full screen view. You will have a yellow outline around the full screen view so you know you can return to the combo view.
    11) Quick access to up to 10 favorite Standard and/or Custom views (12 on the Apex) using the Sidebar... Two sidebar tabs with 5 each (6 each for the Apex).
    12) Smoother and more seamless integration with Minn Kota iPilot Link, and the Minn Kota Motors access for the new Quest motors, to access Trolling Motor remote operations via the control head.
    13) Easier/Quicker to put Solix in Standby Mode.
    14) Quicker access to Bluetooth paired accessories like Talon, Minn Kota iPilot Link & Quest motors, Cannon Downriggers, and etc. via the Sidebar.
    15) There are extra ground wires in the Solix Transducer cable which are used to ground each of the sonar signal piezos. This can reduce Interference and provide a cleaner signal.
    16) Although the resolution of the 12 & 15 inch Solix models is the same as the 12 &15 inch Helix Models , the 10" Solix has a higher resolution than the 10" and smaller Helix models. All models of the Apex have the highest resolution of any Humminbird control heads... full HD 1920 x 1080.
    17) Many settings and preferences can be shared among units on the network... no need to make the same settings changes individually on multiple units. Changes on any one unit on the network will be propagated to the others. You also have the option to turn off the "Global" settings on individual items on individual units if you don't want specific items automatically propagated to or from a unit. Mix Solix and Apex with full network interoperability.
    18) Solix & Apex support the "Community Edits" capability in the Navionics Fishing Charts where the Helix doesn't. You can choose to have them displayed or not displayed.
    19) If you have radar, Solix & Apex allow for a GPS overlay of the radar image while Helix does not.
    20) The Mega Live TargetLock accessory is much easier to control with the touch button screen overlay on the Solix/Apex than the menu interface on the Helix. In addition, the Helix TargetLock Menu takes up 20% of the screen real estate on the right side of the screen vs. the Solix/Apex button overlay across the bottom of the screen where it doesn't interfere with the Mega Live imaging or reduce the size of the image.
    21) The Apex has all the capabilities of the Solix but has full HD resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels), adds a second Ethernet Port, has HDMI In and Out capability, and adds a second transducer port dedicated to deep water transducers like the Airmar.
    22) You can export and import settings.

Helix Advantages:
    1) Easier transition from Humminbird legacy units since Helix has the same menu button structure.
    2) Simpler to operate which could translate to a more reliable system.
    3) Ability to define a custom screen split percentage to the Humminbird provided combo views.
    4) No Dongle required for the AS GRP or AS GPS HS external "pucks".
    5) Faster boot times.
    6) Compatible with the Humminbird PC Windows application for Waypoint Management.
    7) Uses less power than the same size Solix or Apex systems.
    8 ) On some Helix models, you can assign your most used views to the Favorite Buttons but this is limited to 3 or 6 buttons depending on the model. The smaller Helix models don't have these buttons.
    9) Helix has waypoint proximity flags which can be turned on to show you the distance from your location to the waypoint.

Bottom line... It comes down to much more than touch screen vs non touch screen. It comes down to what advantages are more important to you as well as the cost difference of the 2 lines. The Apex is the most expensive followed by the Solix and then the Helix. The Apex and Solix units are definitely more capable but also more complex in their operations. If you aren't willing to invest time in reading the manual (maybe even twice) and truly learning the touch interface and menus, then the simpler Helix may be the better choice for you.

Also, I wouldn't recommend mixing Solix and Helix as you loose networking functions. Also, having two very different menu systems can be frustrating to some people. You are better off with all Solix, all Apex, a mix of Solix/Apex, or all Helix on your network.

NOTE: The recent Solix & Apex software updates have provided the ability to do a 30/70 or 70/30 screen split as well as the standard 50/50 screen split on side by side views. This works great for Mega 360 and Mega Live. You can also quickly change back and forth between 50/50, 30/70, and 70/30 while on a view... A definite improvement for Solix & Apex but still not quite as flexible as Helix, which allows you to change the actual screen split percentage itself.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Thanks Steve, I have read that post...a few times:). It's really what led me to the Helix, along with a few posts in the forum from you and Wayne P as well.

If the image quality is the same for for both, then (in my case), I think Helix is the way to go.

I bet m360 looks really good on an Apex though... :).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast