Prop suggestion for Javelin 379 with Suzuki 140

I’m going to be purchasing a Suzuki 140 for my Javelin 379, (17’9”). Anyone have a prop suggestion for this setup?

2. Member
    I was able to get the boat out today and start breaking in the new motor. The dealer set me up with a 3 blade 14x23” Suzuki prop that I figured wouldn’t be enough and it wasn’t. Holeshot is good, but I can easily hit the limiter at 51.3 mph. I’m happy with those numbers for that prop as it’s only about 4% slip. I think I’ll ask if the dealer will swap me for a 24” Suzuki.

The other variable I need to address is engine height. They left my manual Jack plate where it was (all the way up), but mounted the motor in the lowest hole. If I remember right my Johnson motor was 6” PTP which was lower than what I see recommended and this new motor is definitely lower.

3. Member
    I’m currently at 6 5/8” prop to pad. With the current prop I can’t gain MPH, but possibly holeshot by raising the motor, but my biggest reason I want to raise the motor is due to it being so low when idling. If I have it trimmed completely down the “pee hole” is under water and also the cowling seal is getting close. I can go up about 3” total. Any guesses as to what would be a good PTP measurement to shoot for? I might just move it to the top bolt hole and see what happens.

I also bought a 13.75x25” Solas prop to try.

4. Member
    Friend of mine has a Ranger 372V. Thinking about this same motor. I am pretty sure you Javelin is similar to his Ranger in size and weight. Interested to hear how this turns out.

5. Member
    On my 200 the pee outlet is underwater I think. I wouldn't worry about it. Remember (you will find out) prop diameter makes a lot of difference too. You want a prop that gives you the most top speed and still gives you a decent hole shot with a fat partner, and full livewell. I think any speed in the 50's is good for that boat, if it was mine I'd try different set ups trying to get it the highest I could too.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 03-09-2024 at 09:11 AM.

6. Member
    I raised my motor to the highest settings on the bolt holes, which got me to 4.5" PTP. Hole shot was about the same, but the prop would lose bite when running at about 43 mph. I loved the higher position for idling. My small local lakes are pretty much idle only except for two small speed zones where you can run. I'll probably end up purchasing a hydraulic jackplate at some point to get the best of all worlds.

Now that I changed bolt holes I can easily drop the motor as necessary with the manual jackplate. After the first test, I moved it down to 5.5" PTP. Again, the hole shot was about the same. I was able to get about the same top speed, but it would lose bite on hard turns. I'm going to move it back to where I started and just keep it trimmed up while idling. With the current prop, that's the best I'm going to be able to do. The 23.75x25" Solas is on backorder, so who knows when that'll arrive.

So far I love the motor. It's super quiet and smooth. Running 50 mph, it has quite a bit of throttle left. Hole shot is my only concern once I go up in pitch because it's not blazing fast currently (around 5 seconds).

7. Member
    Also, the Suzuki props have no vent holes, and from what I see neither do the Solas that fit my motor. I'm wondering if they could be modified by one of the prop guys to have vent holes added to benefit hole shot.

8. Member
    I ended up getting a Mercury Trophy Plus 25” prop. I left the prop to pad at 5.5 and it seems to like it there. I’m getting 55 mph now and still hitting the limiter. Hole shot is slower. All four plugs are in so I’ll remove at least two. Overall I’m very happy with how it run with this prop.

9. Member
    Removed the prop and took out all 4 plugs since I figured it would be much easier to pop them back in than take more out. Hole shot was a little better, albeit still slower than I’d hoped, but no blow-out. This is likely going to be the best I can do for my setup. Besides the hole shot it performs very well with this prop. It’s got more top end left, but more pitch would make hole shot slow/to non existent. Perhaps a foil could help, but I hate the idea of adding a foil.

10. Member
    Spent last week fishing and running the new motor. It’s running great and gets 54-55 with my wife and I, loaded down, full of gas. It’ll still hit the limiter pretty easy. I think I’m going to get a hydra foil though as hole shot is real slow. Anyone have a suggestion for which whale tail/hydrafoil?

Fuel economy is so much better than my old Johnson, and I was running it pretty hard. 30 mph - WOT is pretty quick too.

Kellen, how much better would you say the 140 you purchased is vs a 150 at fuel economy?
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

12. Member
    Totally unscientific guess, but I’d say the fuel economy in the top 25% of RPM range is twice as good as a 1993 Johnson 150. We ran around quite a lot for 5 days straight and added 10 gallons the whole trip. Likely wouldn’t have run out of gas without the 10 gallons, but my old fuel gauge leaves a lot to be desired so I wasn’t going to chance it.

That sounds awesomel. I was thinking more about a new 140 compared to a new 150. Just thinking if the fuel economy is that much better it might be worth getting a new 140 over a new 150. Also has me wondering if a 150 might of helped with the hole-shot as well as top speed/RPM’s.

14. Member
    The 150 might be as good or better on gas as the 140. Cost and weight savings made me decide to go with the 140 as it’s 100 pounds lighter than the 150. I’d think the 150 would have great power as it’s the same block as the 200.

Thank you :)

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen O View Post
    Totally unscientific guess, but I’d say the fuel economy in the top 25% of RPM range is twice as good as a 1993 Johnson 150. We ran around quite a lot for 5 days straight and added 10 gallons the whole trip. Likely wouldn’t have run out of gas without the 10 gallons, but my old fuel gauge leaves a lot to be desired so I wasn’t going to chance it.
    What gauge/s did you get with the 140? Analogue or the SMG4 digital?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    What gauge/s did you get with the 140? Analogue or the SMG4 digital?
    Analogue.

18. Member
    This week I installed an SE Sport hydrofoil on the DF140B. Hole-shot has greatly improved (about 5 seconds to plane now with one person, full fuel and loaded with gear). Top speed was 54.6 mph which is down about .6 mph, but the good part is that I'm right at the limiter but not hitting it. Another positive is that I can take turns near WOT without hitting the limiter as well (that was not the case previously). I had planned to drop the motor back down, but will leave it at 5.5 PTP now.

The SE Sport was relatively cheap and easy to install. They provide a template that makes it easy to measure/line up. It also has a lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen O View Post
    This week I installed an SE Sport hydrofoil on the DF140B. Hole-shot has greatly improved (about 5 seconds to plane now with one person, full fuel and loaded with gear). Top speed was 54.6 mph which is down about .6 mph, but the good part is that I'm right at the limiter but not hitting it. Another positive is that I can take turns near WOT without hitting the limiter as well (that was not the case previously). I had planned to drop the motor back down, but will leave it at 5.5 PTP now.

The SE Sport was relatively cheap and easy to install. They provide a template that makes it easy to measure/line up. It also has a lifetime warranty.
    Do you know the previous slowest speed you could be on plane prior to installing the Hydrofoil and the slowest speed you can be on plane now with the hydrofoil installed?

20. Member
    I meant to compare last night and didn’t. I don’t remember for sure what speed it would stay on plane before the foil. I want to say 20 mph. My old motor had a foil and it would hold about 18. The only time that speed has really mattered to me was for a 15 mph zone on one of our lakes in Ohio. I’ll test it the next time out.